Quantcast

Goggle options when you don't use contacts...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The julbo goggles with the pop-out air-flow lens thing are the best I've used for anti-fog. They still fog sometimes, but I'm able to use them more of the time than not. We have huge problems with flat light though so I still have to take them off at times to ski, despite them coming with low-light tint. Fogging is much worse trying to ride bikes due to the slower speeds and lack of airflow/body generating heat uphill.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I had issues with contacts for years. One time I finished a race run with both of my contacts stuck to my goggle lens. A lot of good they did there!
I finally gave up on contacts, and the best solution I found was riding in prescription Oaley sunglasses with their trail torch lens. It is by far the best vision I have had at actually seeing the trail, but I don't have a solution for a full face helmet yet.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The julbo goggles with the pop-out air-flow lens thing are the best I've used for anti-fog. They still fog sometimes, but I'm able to use them more of the time than not. We have huge problems with flat light though so I still have to take them off at times to ski, despite them coming with low-light tint. Fogging is much worse trying to ride bikes due to the slower speeds and lack of airflow/body generating heat uphill.
Yeah, but I'm after something for summer resort DH riding in Colorado, so blue skies and plenty bright. Fogging shouldn't be an issue.

I had issues with contacts for years. One time I finished a race run with both of my contacts stuck to my goggle lens. A lot of good they did there!
I finally gave up on contacts, and the best solution I found was riding in prescription Oaley sunglasses with their trail torch lens. It is by far the best vision I have had at actually seeing the trail, but I don't have a solution for a full face helmet yet.
I've got a few different pairs of glasses I ride in depending on conditions, but I'm definitely after a goggle FF solution. I guess I should go try an old pair of goggles over some glasses and see how it is...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Anyone used "OTG" goggles?

Trying to work out what option to use for resort riding next summer. I've coped with normal goggles the last few seasons, but it's hard work without my prescription. I don't wear contacts, so I guess it's OTG or some sort of inserts...
They make Goggles with you’re script in them,you could have clear,sunglass or transition. As well,they make under water mask with script. I just went without,they don’t look as kewl,but mabye you like um.
I forgot,they also make special sunglass’s for motorcycle’s. They have foam 360 on the inside of the frame to prevent wind and such bothering the Eye. They look sharp and feel good. One thing though,the Foam is glued on,sweat can eat the glue in no time. I would crazy glue or some glue on the top edge of foam to prevent it from coming off when they were brand new to prevent this. I have worn specs my whole life.
Avy

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They make Goggles with you’re script in them,you could have clear,sunglass or transition. As well,they make under water mask with script. I just went without,they don’t look as kewl,but mabye you like um.
I forgot,they also make special sunglass’s for motorcycle’s. They have foam 360 on the inside of the frame to prevent wind and such bothering the Eye. They look sharp and feel good. One thing though,the Foam is glued on,sweat can eat the glue in no time. I would crazy glue or some glue on the top edge of foam to prevent it from coming off when they were brand new to prevent this. I have worn specs my whole life.
Avy
They make prescription goggles? Where?

All I ever see is fogging-inserts that screw up your optics more because you are looking through moar lens.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
They make prescription goggles? Where?

All I ever see is fogging-inserts that screw up your optics more because you are looking through moar lens.
Jm,Bolle used to make them,not anymore it appears. They were expensive and did not sell well I guess? The new design is buckoW’s above. Insert. I would get the Smith Insert,with clear outside lens,then AR etc on my insert. Or the other route of Pimp glasses in white.
Avy

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What's your prescription? Last I checked most of the factory-made prescription lenses and inserts max out at around +/- 5 or 6. If (like me) your eyes are worse than that, you might be out of luck with those options, so check that out before you get too stoked on any of them.

I have a pair of Smith OTG goggles that I occasionally wear for snow and dust but I need to use some kind of anti-fog spray (or spit) with them, and most of the time I give up in frustration and just rock the helmet and glasses look.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
For OTG, you need to measure your glasses and make sure they fit, super-wide glasses get to be a problem, sometimes the nose and how they tend to ride up your nose, in both cases the OTGs will squash your glasses against your eyeballs and cheeks, which is a no-go. Wide eye glasses look fairly fasionable, but you might need to get something made by zenni (for cheap) that is more appropriate for OTGs. That is my experience.

And at least when OTGs fog up , you can just pull the goggles up over your helmet or something and still freaking see. Inserts is a piss-poor solution. I don't want to have to look through more lenses, if I'm spending a shitload of money for a goggle, give me the fucking lenses already made to my prescription in the frame. I don't see this as an improvement or OTG and in my experience, it's worse for fogging due to the closer clearances, how stuff sits, being unable to move it around a little, and not being able to take it off for a run or half a run and be able to freaking see. I know, it would be expensive to make ACTUAL prescription goggles, but the insert thing is half-ass. I want to be able to see like people that don't wear glasses, not have to tack on a bunch of extra shit.

So laser is probably the best solution. Unfortunately, look at any pros, virtually no one wears glasses, if they do, they are using contacts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What the hell are you saying?
Avy
He's saying if the insert-foggles start to fog, you can't just take them off momentarily and still be able to see. If OTG combo starts to fog, you can flip the goggles on your helmet and still at least be able to see something. This is why F-inserts.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
He's saying if the insert-foggles start to fog, you can't just take them off momentarily and still be able to see. If OTG combo starts to fog, you can flip the goggles on your helmet and still at least be able to see something. This is why F-inserts.
Ok,glasses are like our bikes boys. You can’t have it all in one bike. I have Ti Frames,Sunglasses,Sportglaseses,Workglasses and others. Now,if I am going drop money on “Insert’s” in my Goggle,you can bank on it that the type of riding I am doing with them on my Face,I am not going to Fog up. I will be going Fast every run downhill. Which In my case does not happen. So,what is the next option for me? I had OTG,ran um at NorthStar DH resort. I found them cumbersum and uncomfortable. Like Jm said,to many Factor’s to Fuck with you. That brought me to a custom set of glasses. I really think too much of us Have to have a kewl set of Goggle’s or Nothin.
Avy

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i dont know how much proper fitted inserts are in the us but i paid around 500eur just for the prescription lenses. i can’t afford to have several of these so sun glasses it is for all sports. im around -7 and -6 and i need them made as thin as possible to save weight, that costs a shit ton extra

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i dont know how much proper fitted inserts are in the us but i paid around 500eur just for the prescription lenses. i can’t afford to have several of these so sun glasses it is for all sports. im around -7 and -6 and i need them made as thin as possible to save weight, that costs a shit ton extra
I am in the -2.25 territory and my Wiley X with prescription lenses with few upgrades cost around $500 10 years ago, so I am assuming around a grand nowadays.

Also, fuck the optometrists lobby in the US that makes contacts only available via overpriced prescription-only channels. Fuck them with a red hot poker in the ass. :mad:

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Brother,how many Bikes you have right now? I bet you have spent a Mint on Bike’s over you’re history. I too am Blind and need them thin,Not to save Weight,silly rabbit! To walk around without having coke bottle‘s on my face! You remember school day’s? Kid’s,teenagers,so Brutal.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I am in the -2.25 territory and my Wiley X with prescription lenses with few upgrades cost around $500 10 years ago, so I am assuming around a grand nowadays.

Also, fuck the optometrists lobby in the US that makes contacts only available via overpriced prescription-only channels. Fuck them with a red hot poker in the ass. :mad:
I agree Brother,fucking Cunt’s are Worse than Our Bike Industry! Don’t get me fucking goin Brother. Of course these matter’s are Petty compared to Medical. Things are getting much better these day’s,Far from where we should be,but they are Much better option’s now a day’s than before.

I tried contacts,back then,my only choice was a Hard Contact,due to being blind. It was like putting sand on my eyeball,I never got past the 3 week adjustment. I think you can get a Soft Contact’s now? I have no clue. The thought of putting Glass/Plastic on my fucking EyeBall was Insane to me?
Then they came out with, “leave in 30 day shit”? I thought? Who the Fuck would leave a contact in there eye for 30 day’s? You only get One Set. So,now they have one’s that stay in longer No? Contact’s for me,is not possible at all. Then Lazer came in. Time for my Nap.
Avy

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Brother,how many Bikes you have right now? I bet you have spent a Mint on Bike’s over you’re history. I too am Blind and need them thin,Not to save Weight,silly rabbit! To walk around without having coke bottle‘s on my face! You remember school day’s? Kid’s,teenagers,so Brutal.
Avy
they are still sliding on my nose because too much weight. at a certain dioptrin this becomes an issue, so no, saving weight is not silly. plz stfu about things you clearly not understand, khxbye

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
they are still sliding on my nose because too much weight. at a certain dioptrin this becomes an issue, so no, saving weight is not silly. plz stfu about things you clearly not understand, khxbye
Stfu? No,I do know what I’m talking about. I will get to the point on you’re ugly response. If weight is a problem for you 4 eyes,cause they slide on you’re little fucking nose,then get the one’s with a strap like me. If I crash with a Full Face or Not,I have a strap to Prevent my Very Expensive Shit from flying off my Face. A strap will also prevent sliding if you have a little Euro Nose.
Avy