Quantcast

Going to Whistler? Watch/lock you're bike(s)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I was reading this thread on NSMB HERE

it appears bike thieves are out in force! :angry: This is not the first thread I hear about people getting their bikes stolen at Whistler. Really sux that you have to constantly watch your bike(s), but better be safe than sorry.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Acadian said:

it appears bike thieves are out in force! :angry: This is not the first thread I hear about people getting their bikes stolen at Whistler. Really sux that you have to constantly watch your bike(s), but better be safe than sorry.
Its a few a week in Whistler. One time in one of the hotels I worked at it was 5 in a day. Don't leave your bike unlocked anywhere.

Acadian said:

my car had two bikes locked inside and backed up against the wall and they stole everything else, but couldnt get the bikes ;) and the weekend before some one broke into Matts car and stole a bunch of his stuff...the bastards left me a note saying "sorry, we could have takeing it all"...not only could they not spell they took my case of red bull..Im gonna catch them and beat the **** outta them.....next time im up!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
bibs said:
.the bastards left me a note saying "sorry, we could have takeing it all"...not only could they not spell they took my case of red bull..Im gonna catch them and beat the **** outta them.....next time im up!
you're foking joking right? that is SOOOOO messed up!

where were you parked and was it only for the day?

BostonBullit

Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Medway, MA
when I first started going there a few years ago it was like you could leave your bike sitting there unlocked and no one would mess with it, but I've watched it deteriorate over the years. Unfortunately a place that's that kick arse is going to attract the bad with the good :(

keep an eye on your rig and/or lock that chit up! oh, and if you happen to catch someone attempting to steal it feel free to bury the carcass out on the mountain....or better yet, tie the biatch up, cover him with honey and put him out for the bears :devil:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
man this sucks to hear. This is why I started asking where can you take your bikes in with you. I'd still lock it up in the hotel in my room when I wasn't there. But I'd rather sleep next to it then worry about it being stolen. You'd think the park would beef up security big time if it is a problem but I dunno how candian law works. :angry:

I'd pay the difference for a hotel that has lockup vs. taking it in the room with you. It's the cheapest insurance you can ask for. It's just gay to think that you travel so far to do what you love yet you have to worry about bike theives taking your sh*t. It's just wrong.

I say we start a monkey patrol, anyone caught steeling bikes gets stoned to death, on the spot :)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Are the people who run the show at Whistler trying to do anything about it? Seems that the amount of crew getting their bikes flogged might have some effect on the bottom line.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
valve bouncer said:
Are the people who run the show at Whistler trying to do anything about it? Seems that the amount of crew getting their bikes flogged might have some effect on the bottom line.
Haven't heard much about it. There are places to lock the bikes up periodically. No offence, I hate thieves too, but I know I ALWAYS see people just leaving their bikes leaning near tapley's or against the windows at the gondola or just about anywhere they please (second cup many bars etc...) Why don't people lock them up themselves? Maybe walk into customer service and request more lockups. I definately see there isn't enough but there is also too many people who walk into second cup for '3 minutes' and walk out only to realize there bike is gone.

Another suggestion on the other board was more bike lockers. This is fairly unreasonable as they are ugly (yes thats vain but the mountain (intrawest) is particular about this vanity) and huge. They don't fit many bikes and there would be a huge requirement for them (I think they fit 8ish) Real estate is very expensive.

Now as for hotels, its a matter of damages. But at this point I only know of 3 hotels that strictly enforce the bikes in rooms rules (and even then there are ways around it). Most hotels are more than willing to either ignore the bikes or even allow them in. And I know of one hotel in particular that thefts have gone down signifigantly due to increased security in the bike lockup. Just don't keep them on balconies ;)

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Roasted said:
Haven't heard much about it. There are places to lock the bikes up periodically. No offence, I hate thieves too, but I know I ALWAYS see people just leaving their bikes leaning near tapley's or against the windows at the gondola or just about anywhere they please (second cup many bars etc...) Why don't people lock them up themselves? Maybe walk into customer service and request more lockups. I definately see there isn't enough but there is also too many people who walk into second cup for '3 minutes' and walk out only to realize there bike is gone.

Another suggestion on the other board was more bike lockers. This is fairly unreasonable as they are ugly (yes thats vain but the mountain (intrawest) is particular about this vanity) and huge. They don't fit many bikes and there would be a huge requirement for them (I think they fit 8ish) Real estate is very expensive.

Now as for hotels, its a matter of damages. But at this point I only know of 3 hotels that strictly enforce the bikes in rooms rules (and even then there are ways around it). Most hotels are more than willing to either ignore the bikes or even allow them in. And I know of one hotel in particular that thefts have gone down signifigantly due to increased security in the bike lockup. Just don't keep them on balconies ;)
Thanks for the info....I guess the best defence is a big f*ck off chain and padlock and a guard dog. :)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Roasted said:
Haven't heard much about it. There are places to lock the bikes up periodically. No offence, I hate thieves too, but I know I ALWAYS see people just leaving their bikes leaning near tapley's or against the windows at the gondola or just about anywhere they please (second cup many bars etc...) Why don't people lock them up themselves?
Hey it's not our fault. Other people should be responsible for our bikes... DUHHHH

Nah... I say if you are dumb enough to leave it out in the open unlocked... you deserve to get it stollen. And don't expect to blame it on someone else either.

What about bikeshops in the village or ski shops or what have you.. offering some kind of pay to store your bike in the shop while out and about. Think it would give some places some income in their off-season (even though mtb is making more money than skiiing is up there) and in whistler is there even a real off-season?

Just a thought is all...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
slcpunk21 said:
Hey it's not our fault. Other people should be responsible for our bikes... DUHHHH

Nah... I say if you are dumb enough to leave it out in the open unlocked... you deserve to get it stollen. And don't expect to blame it on someone else either.

What about bikeshops in the village or ski shops or what have you.. offering some kind of pay to store your bike in the shop while out and about. Think it would give some places some income in their off-season (even though mtb is making more money than skiiing is up there) and in whistler is there even a real off-season?

Just a thought is all...
When you come here you will see how little storage there is. There was one shop that would have had the space called BikeCo but with the Delta being renovated that huge location is shut down. With every shop having 30 rental bikes there really is no room. Good idea but I don't think it could be justified.

Maybe turn lot 4 into bike storage :D

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
I'd like to see more places following in the steps of the El Dorado county Sheriff's dept. and Sierra at Tahoe. Over the last (at least) 2 years, they've had a program going in the winter where an under cover cop leaves a top of the line snowboard unlocked in the rack. Then the waiting and watching begins begins...you know what happens next!! :devil: Some punk who's been casing the place comes up to gaffle what he thinks is an unattended, top of the line stick only... to be stuck him self! My girlfriend sat on the deck one day and got talking to one of the cops, they usually have 2-3 plain clothed narcs sitting around, just watching the decoy board, and usually sting about 1 person a day on the weekends.

Sure it's staged, so no one's stuff is really being saved or anything, but it gets the word out on the streets to the vermin. The message being that Sierra is probably not your best choice to ganking peoples stuff.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i like the idea of a bait-bike program in high-theft areas. would probably make sense in whistler. we have a bait-car program in vancouver, though i'm not sure how effective its been:

bait car

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
xy9ine said:
i like the idea of a bait-bike program in high-theft areas. would probably make sense in whistler. we have a bait-car program in vancouver, though i'm not sure how effective its been:

bait car
According to the news very effective.

Bait a bike would probably work well actually.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
The brewpub in Whistler is pretty cool, when you go in they'll loan you a lock for your bike while you go in and have a few drinks.

Maybe there just needs to be a better place to leave your locks while you ride? Most people I know don't take a lock with them because they aren't going to carry a 2lb lock in their camelback while they ride and if you try to put the lock on a railing or bike rack while you ride there is a sign that says they will cut it off.

I think most people own a bike lock, but expecting them to ride the mountain with it is unreasonable, there should be a place to leave your lock while you are in the bike park so that when you are done you can pick it up and lock your bike up while you are in the village spending money after riding.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
crashing_sux said:
The brewpub in Whistler is pretty cool, when you go in they'll loan you a lock for your bike while you go in and have a few drinks.

Maybe there just needs to be a better place to leave your locks while you ride? Most people I know don't take a lock with them because they aren't going to carry a 2lb lock in their camelback while they ride and if you try to put the lock on a railing or bike rack while you ride there is a sign that says they will cut it off.

I think most people own a bike lock, but expecting them to ride the mountain with it is unreasonable, there should be a place to leave your lock while you are in the bike park so that when you are done you can pick it up and lock your bike up while you are in the village spending money after riding.

Dang, that's a good idea! Hmmm you must not be canadian if you came up with something like that on your own :p

You gotta tell that idea to someone who can make that happen! I seriously like that! Locks are small enough that they could be stored easily... why not!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
slcpunk21 said:
Dang, that's a good idea! Hmmm you must not be canadian if you came up with something like that on your own :p

You gotta tell that idea to someone who can make that happen! I seriously like that! Locks are small enough that they could be stored easily... why not!
Or the mountain could supply some for a deposit. :)

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
It's be so simple too, all they need to do is put a big rail out somewhere and put a sign saying that you CAN leave your lock there and they won't cut it off. Not a bit of extra work.

I won't hold my breath.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Roasted said:
Or the mountain could supply some for a deposit. :)
the only issue I see with that is with some stupid "americans" (ok stupid humans in general) that are lawsuit happy, if the mountain supplies the lock they could be some how in some way be held responsable for a stollen bike if the lock is broken or whatever. If the user brings their own it's their responsability.

slcpunk21 said:
the only issue I see with that is with some stupid "americans" (ok stupid humans in general) that are lawsuit happy, if the mountain supplies the lock they could be some how in some way be held responsable for a stollen bike if the lock is broken or whatever. If the user brings their own it's their responsability.

americans are sue happy, they try to protect every one form everything....dumb bastards(75% of them) the rest are mtbers.....:D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So you have a place to leave your lock unattended and then what happens? I'll tell you, those expensive locks will start turning up stolen, to be resold on the black market.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Anybody else have that fantasy were you catch somebody stealing thier bike and you clobber them with a u-lock? That would be sooo satisfying. I caught a guy with his hands on my bike once. Lucky for him, I was too young and too small to give him what he deserves. I'm going to put a lock box in my truck just for whistler trips.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I agree, locks will work but you gotta spend some $$$ on a good done. Gone are they days of cable and chain, it's now fancy cable and chain that costs $99+. I dunno what they'd do with a lock that is suspose to be uncutable. Plasma cut the damm thing off if someone looses a key or something?

I just think it's sad how the security is there. It is a resort town, but it seems there's tons of theives here too. People will go to whistler weather or not there is beefed up security, but it doesn't help to worry about your bike locked up or in a storage unit (or hell locked inside your car). I just think it's a matter of time until someone get's hurt while getting their bike stolen. In the crime world it always comes down to that.

Either way it sucks. You can't lock bikes in you car, it'll get broken into. Can't use the hotel provided storage as they are unsafe. Can't lock them to a balchaney because someone will steel it. It's like best you can do is sleep with it hopefully at a range of hotels.

All in all though, if you're stupid enough to leave your multi-thousand dollar ride by itelsef, then you deserve for it to be stolen. It's like leaving your car running, doors open, and you go upstairs to take a dump. You are begging for it to get picked. I know alot of people that say "oh my bike was stolen". How many theft's are because of their fault not locking it up or just being stupid and leaving it out someplace? Theif's know what to look for when steeling a bike. It isn't brain science. They know who the dumb one's are that leave it alone and walk away.