Quantcast

Gonna sound like a stupid question

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm riding for a new cross team and I have the option of either getting one full custom ti frame or getting two custom steel frames. The choices I've been tossing around are to have ti race bike or I could have a SS steel cross and geared race rig. Or I could go with a steel race rig and a backup bike with fender/rack mounts to make it more versatile for training. WWYD?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Who has ridden ti and steel? Aren't the ride qualities similar?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have never ridden steel so I can't give a real opinion, but I have a full titanium cx bike and totally love it.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
What is the weight difference? If you are racing at a high level go with the lighter choice. I think in mud and with low pressure in the tires, ride quality between steel and titanuim is a moot point.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
What is the weight difference? If you are racing at a high level go with the lighter choice. I think in mud and with low pressure in the tires, ride quality between steel and titanuim is a moot point.
That's the one question I don't have the answer to. It's a small local frame builder and he doesn't publish any weights. The only that makes me think twice about the choice is the fact that the Vanilla frames are all steel and they are light with a damn good ride.