Quantcast

good anti virus-spam program ?!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
For free ones, I've used both AVG and Avast pretty extensively. AVG consumes fewer system resources (though neither consume too much) but Avast is prettier and has a more user friendly interface.

Pick your poison :)

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
wait, isnt avg dropping its free version?

mine is about to expire. i get a popup where it says avg wont be free anymore, as in no more updates and support, and tells me to buy their stuff or install something else. its a legit popup too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can get Avast to consume less resources by only installing the protection modules you actually need/use.

Avast historically has faster response times to outbreaks than AVG which is important to note.

Antivir PE is probably the best free AV engine with the fastest historical response time, but its not as use friendly as Avast or AVG and requires various tweaks to get working optimally (manually scheduled updates if you want more than freq. than 24 hr updates, engines tweaks, and security policies to block the ad pop-up on definition updates).

Also there is a new version of AVG, but I have no idea how it rates.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
AVG rocks btw. I've been using McAfee for awhile now because it was free, but it's a total resource pig. Going back to AVG soon.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
None of which had the three factual articles I posted in this thread or Apple security update from November 2006 posted in them.

I've seen dozens of threads with the same theme - company, bike, part, whatever questions. In fact there are many threads asking about what antivirus program to use. The information on the topics changes and thats why people ask the same questions all the time. I didn't repeat the same facts only the theme was similar.
I don't care. I don't care if these are new links. I don't care if the content is slightly different. I don't care if you feel you're being oppressed.

You are not being helpful, you are being disruptive. Whether or not other people repost similar content is not your concern. I don't get the same complaints about them as I do about you. You manage to turn every thread you participate in into an argument, and EVERYONE is tired of it. And the fact that these are new links is moot, the message is the same.

Read what I'm about to say very carefully. If you continue to post redundant posts, they will be deleted. If you press it further you will not be allowed to post in this forum. Period.

People post tech stuff in the lounge now just to avoid you. Don't be an ass, you're not proving anything, you're just annoying people.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Y'all be missin' da point, foo.
Stinkyboy mentioned Mac first in this thread and made the false assertion that there are is no malware on the Mac.

You and BV escalated the situation by choice. I did not insult anyone, complain, make the first post tangential to the topic, or break the rules. I posted factual information that show his comment was not true.

Symantec malware advisories, technical news coverage, and official Apple security updates are factual, there is no question.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thread purged to bring it back to the original poster's topic.

I have been informed that my choices in moderating are not out of line and there is no current issue with how I am choosing to run this particular forum. If that changes, RM will certainly let me know and I will certainly abide by his wishes.

Until then, syadasti, you don't get a free pass to flaunt the authority of the moderators here just because you think your information is "factual."

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I installed the new avg 2 days ago on a pc here. Seems to work great (easy install, no slowdowns, auto updates etc) and uses pretty much the same interface as before.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The fvcking SAV on the company server here won't update.

Grrr.