Quantcast

Good Deal/Bad Deal???

zenstox

Chimp
May 7, 2004
San Mateo, CA
I just bought an 04 FSR Stumpjumper Frame for $500. It was barely ridden. I wan't to get serious about biking after kicking around on an old Diamondback for the last 10 years. Can you let me know if that was a decent price I paid or if I was shafted? Also, are they any forums or web sites for novice bike builders? I am building this bike from the frame up. It's my first.:cool:

Attachments

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
It is pointless to ask if you paid to much now....you bought it already. :) All that homework needs to be done BEFORE you buy. ;)

If it is clean and not abused that is a nice frame....but I have no idea about the pricing.

I would suggest you look around and price "packages" online and in catalogues. It will get you rolling faster and cheaper than buying everything one at a time.

When you have build specific questions, ask them here. There are guys around that can help you. It may take a day but advice will be given.

Congrats on the new frame!

Rhino
Edit- by packages I meant fork/wheels/drivetrain/bars/seat/etc.......everything but the frame and mostl likely pedals.

Apr 29, 2004
culpeper VA
When you really want somthing, you'll pay just about anything to get it. When you finally get it and it makes you really happy, you can't put a price on that. And seeing as you can't take it with you, you might as well spend it on whatever does, make you happy.

May 4, 2004
a computer near you!
it was kind of pointless to ask after you bought it, i got a red line frame (20inch) for only $20 though, granted it did have scraps and stuff, but thats normall if you buy it from the old owner. you do need to do the homework frist. i made the mistake of buying the redline, because i didn't relize that puting the bike together from scrach cost more than buying it pre-made, so now its in the garage colecting dust.

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
It is pointless to ask if you paid to much now....you bought it already. :) All that homework needs to be done BEFORE you buy. ;)
True, there's so many bikes out there, you really need to look at all the options, cause for all you know, there could be a better frame for less $$$:nope:

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
sorry to tell you this.. but i don't think that's an 04 frame. the new 2004's got an all new design, and the newest your frame could be is an 03. but look on the bright side.. it's still a hell of a lot better then your diamondback. just don't think about the price and have fun building it. first builds are always great.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by awholelota
sorry to tell you this.. but i don't think that's an 04 frame. the new 2004's got an all new design, and the newest your frame could be is an 03. but look on the bright side.. it's still a hell of a lot better then your diamondback. just don't think about the price and have fun building it. first builds are always great.
Looks to be a 2003. I didn't pickup on it, but after Awholelota mentioned it I looked at the specializedweb site and the 2004 are different.

Regardless that is nice frame and if in good condition will last you a long time and you should be very happy with it. 3-3.5 adj travel and it might have a lockout feature on the Fox.

They seller might not know any better and bought the frame in 2004.....who knows.

Zenstox, have you figured out how you are going to build it yet?

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
yeah.. don't feel too bad. this happened to me also. i jumped on a great looking deal for a super t. the guy said that it was an 02, but when i got it home i saw a little sign that said "01" on it. if i looked closer when i was actually buying it i would have waited for something i really wanted or would have tried to get the price down a little. not that i'm not happy with the fork now, just that i'd be happier.

Mar 30, 2004
Lexington, KY
thats why i dont buy jus frames, i usually buy the bike, then i upgrade everything on it. it works and its alot cheaper than buying everysingle piece of w/e you may need. I truly think that by the time you are done building this bike, you will have been able to buy the 2004 and still have done some stuff to it. thats my opinion, gl though

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
1+1<1??? I've always thought it was better to buy a bike built and not upgrade it or buy a frame and add the upgrades you want not buy a complet bike and pay for all the components then pay for replacement component upgrades. I've built my last 3 bikes because I know what components I want and I can get what I want only buying one crankset one handlebar, one seatpost...

As far as if you got a good deal. I don't know about XC frames, I'd guess it's a pretty fair deal seeing as how the complete bike goes for around $1000 up to around $3000. I don't know if you can get those frames direct from specialized chances are if you could it would cost a little more.