Quantcast

Good news for E.13 and Evil

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I was going back and forth when I first got my Revolt about what chainguide to use and had heard the idea that with the LG1/+ there was a better chance of wrecking the frame than with the SRS/+ as a hard hit would only wreck the cranks at worst. I wanted to put this idea to rest as just more internet enginerding at it's worst.

I tested it last weekend during a race practice run and took a very hard hit right on the taco of my LG1. I was going over the bike today to get ready for a trip to Whistler for the weekend and found that I bent two of the three mounting bolts for the chainguide. :eek: The frame is fine, I just need to get some new hardware! :thumb:

Life is good and I'm off to Whistler for my birthday.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
My friend managed to snap his taco off of his LG1 in the alps this week - he doesn't ride that hard and didn't even notice an impact, most odd!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I definately noticed the impact but was able to keep riding. When I got to the bottom I checked my chainring, chain, and guide to make sure it was ok and saw a big dent in the taco but nothing else. I noticed the bent bolts today.

What does your friend clean/lube his bike with? Not everything is friendly to the plastic used in the taco and bashrings and can seriously weaken them.

godfather

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
I went ahead and threw a SRS+ on my Revolt. There is very little weight penalty and I was taking the "better safe than sorry" approach. I almost bought a LG1+ in addition. It's good to hear that the frame held up as well as it did and that your only damage was hardware.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I 50/50 cased a stepdown at our state champs a few months ago. Ended up bending the LG1 backplate and one of the three ISCG bolts as well. Chain device was a write off but the ISCG tabs on my 08 DHR were fine.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Hi Craig. I thought the race went well. I was faster on my new frame and I got 10th and Bobby was 11th! Cat 2 of course but it was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to you getting healthy and back on your big bike.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I 50/50 cased a stepdown at our state champs a few months ago. Ended up bending the LG1 backplate and one of the three ISCG bolts as well. Chain device was a write off but the ISCG tabs on my 08 DHR were fine.

Yeah, at 250lbs I 50/50'd a pretty big step down and bent my pedals, cranks (Gravity - not lights), my guide(G2) and two of three of my bolts, and my 08 DHR was completely unscathed.

Pretty cool how strong those little tabs are.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Hey guys,

For the strength to weight ratio of the LG1+, it really can't be beat. Having said that, is was designed as a response from our World Cup athletes to make a lighter, easier to work on chainguide while retaining top notch performance. It is designed strictly for DH racing, so if you run a ton of sag and ride a lot of rocky courses, you might be better off with the SRS+.

Having said that, the steel ISCG bolts are designed to bend, then shear to save the ISCG tabs. Under particularly hard riding, it is quite possible to bend ISCG tabs as well (it is extremely rare with ISCG-05 tabs). The M5 flathead bolts are pretty easy to find at most hardware stores, so replacing them isn't an issue as they (eventually) bend.

Seb, as noted above there are a few lubes that are not plastic friendly by any means. Even though we carefully picked out a highly chemical resistant polycarbonate, we needed to keep strength and elasticity. Anything petroleum based will causes issues, and overtorquing the Direct Mount bashguard bolts amplifies this issue. The torque is 2 N-m for each bolt, as etched in the backplate. This is light enough so that the polycarbonate isn't pinched but (with the locktite on the bolts) the taco will stay in place.

If anyone has any lube (or other) specific questions, feel free to shoot me an email!

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey guys,

For the strength to weight ratio of the LG1+, it really can't be beat. Having said that, is was designed as a response from our World Cup athletes to make a lighter, easier to work on chainguide while retaining top notch performance. It is designed strictly for DH racing, so if you run a ton of sag and ride a lot of rocky courses, you might be better off with the SRS+.

Having said that, the steel ISCG bolts are designed to bend under hard impacts rather than shear directly off. Under particularly hard riding, it is quite possible to bend ISCG tabs as well (it is much more rare with ISCG-05 tabs, like on the Revolt). The M5 flathead bolts are pretty easy to find at most hardware stores, so replacing them isn't an issue as they (eventually) bend.

Seb, as noted above there are a few lubes that are not plastic friendly by any means. Even though we carefully picked out a highly chemical resistant polycarbonate, we needed to keep strength and elasticity. Anything petroleum based will causes issues, and overtorquing the Direct Mount bashguard bolts amplifies this issue. The torque is 2 N-m for each bolt, as etched in the backplate. This is light enough so that the polycarbonate isn't pinched but (with the locktite on the bolts) the taco will stay in place.

If anyone has any lube (or other) specific questions, feel free to shoot me an email!

Cheers,
philip @ e*thirteen

Reminds me of the time I sent back an E13 original SRS that I snapped in half. Within minutes of opening the return (Dave insisted I return it), I got a call from Tobler or maybe even John P. telling me they found major indentions from the bolt head in the bash where I had ham fisted and over tightened it caused it to crack.