Quantcast

good road bike $1-2000 for a clydesdale (spec allez cro-mo?)

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
hey. i'm looking into geting a new road bike. i weigh 250lbs, and am 6'2''. i'm trying to find a good bike that fits my needs. i plan on using the bike to cruise around town, road training, long rides, some touring. would choose comfort on long rides over being marginally faster/gram counting. at my weight, the weight of the bike isn't as apparent since it's a smaller fraction of the mass it's propelling. i can get good deals on specialized and trek bikes from the local shop. pretty skeptical about aluminum road bikes for my weight on the long rides, looking for a comfort factor, not race factor. i'm pretty skeptical about carbon bikes since some of carbon forks have weight limits in the 180lb range. talked to one of the trek reps at a bikeshow and he was convinced carbon would hold for me, if not spec. and trek have good warranty programs. so right now steel seems to be a good frame material for me. right now i'm looking at the specialized allez cro-mo allex cro-mo anybody have some input on them? decent for some touring? the main red flag i have about it is the internal headset and possible weight limit on the fork (i couldn't find any on the specialized site).

any other suggestions would be great too. pro/cons of different bikes in the range of $2000-$1000 would be much appreciated

Saunders

Chimp
Nov 18, 2004
Severn, MD
Well, i am kinda in your boat. I am 6'2, around 190 and have been shopping for a road bike for about $1500-$1600 dollars. I have always been a XC rider, and this will be my first road bike.

1) This time of the year, 04 bikes are hard to come by in a 59-60 size, so you will have to go with an 05, unless you buy used.
2) For $2000 you can get a great frame, with ok componets, or you can get an OK frame, with nice componets. I prefer a nicer frame, with ok componets, cause you can always upgrade the componets.

Ok, for the bikes I have looked at:

1) Lemond Bueros Aires - Steel + Carbon(rear & fork) + 105/Ultegra Mix = $1700
2) Lemond Alpe D'Huez: Aluminum + Carbon(rear & fork) + 105/Ultegra Mix = $1600
3) Trek 2100 = Aluminum + carbon(rear & fork) + 105/Ultegra Mix = $1600
4) 05 Cannandale R900 = Aluminum + carbon fork + campy stuff = $1600
5) Bianchi Vigorelli = Steel + carbon fork + ultegra = ~$1900

I have ridden all of them, except the Bianchi. I would say that the lemonds feel the most comfortable on me, while the trek feels more agressive, and the R900 is very stiff.

Otherwise, check around at all your local stores and see if you can get an 04 model cheap.

Good luck, let us know what you decide

Saunders

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
Friends of mine that have owned C-dale bikes have commented negatively on the stiffness of the bike, i.e., they beat you up on long rides and rough pavement. Carbon fork would help, but then there's the rider weight issue...

Even though Trek owns Lemond and the bikes share components, the frames and rides are very different. I would agree that Treks handle more aggressively; Lemonds are noted more for stability, good road manners, etc. I test road a Zurich, and really liked it. Smooth, comfortable, efficient. And going downhill, it was really stable at speed.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
i cant comment on the weight issue, but i own a 2004 cannondale R1000 and couldnt be happier. Very responsive ride. Ive had no problem doing centuries on the bike and other long rides. My room mate just picked up a new R900 and it is a very nice bike. I used to ride an older Aegis which is a complete carbon frame and it felt sluggish compared to my cannondale.

anyways my .02 cents.

matt

damnit jim

Monkey
Jun 22, 2002
Find hell, make a left
Yeti, it good to hear that someone else my size is looking into a road bike. I'm 245-250 6'2". I was worried about what type of roadbike to purchase having never owned one and having three mountain in the garage as well. Igot a somkin deal on a giant once' team bike, with a carbon fork, carbon tri spoke rear wheel, and a HED aero carbon front wheel. so far the only thing that I would like to replace is the fork, not because its carbon, just to upgrade to something with less milage on it. the frame is aluminum and has an intigrated headset. The headset has had no problems, but I will let you know that i was skeptical of anything intigrated as far as replacement and aftermarket parts, but so far it has served me well.

Being new to roadbiking I was concerned about the durability of something that looked like I could brake it after one jump... but hay your not supposed to jump roadbikes. I think where I'm going with this is... the forces that act on your mountain bike are nothing like how you ride road, IMO the most important thing about a road bike that I've found is FIT!!! If your not comfortable on it your just not going to like it. I went through about 3 seats until I found one that suited me and multiple adjustments on handle bar setting until I found a nice balance. It will make you faster on your Mountain bike.

But thats just what I've experianced hope it helps

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You mentioned touring twice, so maybe go with a dedicated touring bike instead of a road bike. I say that cuz at 250, if you want to tour with gear, you're probably talking closer to 300#? If you do tour, maybe get a trailer instead of panniers to distribute weight.

I agree with you that you shouldn't worry about bike weight. I've never understood why people who don't race are so concerned with getting a <20# bike, when 2 more pounds ain't that big of a deal and can save so much money.

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
so any reccomendations for a dedicated touring bike that could also handle decently onloaded and at speed?
anybody got experince with the surly frames? i might get the long haul trucker, buld it up, and if i don't like the frame, i can always upgrade to a new frame better since i'll have a better idea of what i like and don't like.

suggestions?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Most newer carbon frames would hold up to your weight just fine. Just ride it and make sure it's stiff enough for your liking. You might be able to find a used Ti something for that price range...

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
LordOpie said:
You mentioned touring twice, so maybe go with a dedicated touring bike instead of a road bike. I say that cuz at 250, if you want to tour with gear, you're probably talking closer to 300#? If you do tour, maybe get a trailer instead of panniers to distribute weight.

I agree with you that you shouldn't worry about bike weight. I've never understood why people who don't race are so concerned with getting a <20# bike, when 2 more pounds ain't that big of a deal and can save so much money.
Now there is some good advice. A road bike is NOT what you want for touring, especially at your size...road brakes aren't exactly designed for stopping power. Not to mention, road wheels that come stock on bikes are not going to hold up to the loads you will be carrying, you will need touring wheels. I don't know a lot about touring bikes, but I think Salsa may make one, Trek makes the 520, and I am sure there are many more options out there.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Rivendell Rambouillet -- $2100

Made from steel so it will last you a long, long time.

Can fit up to 37mm tires -- compared to the 25-27mm of most road bikes.

Fender and rack mounts for touring and commuting.

Plus, they have extra large sizes.