Quantcast

Good SCB warranty question (warning: Bullit ? inside)

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Here goes:

I've just got my shock rebuilt.

Shortly after this my 6" 01 frame goes to Santa Cruz & it turns out rear is bent. So, I get a new 04 rear triangle. (Good warranty deal w/ SCB-fast ,1wk.)

Now, the warranty offered me a 04' front triangle as well (cheap). Because the pivot in the old 01 front is worn a bit.

This is a different 7" front triangle. The i2i will be too long for my shock by 1/2 inch or more. (7.875 vs 8.5)

How will this change the geometry of my bike ? Can it be done. Or, should I just forget it and ride the 01 front into the ground ?

Kind of lost on what is best to do.

I'd prefer not getting a new shock. Because as I mentioned it was JUST rebuilt & tuned

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Originally posted by gmac
Here goes:

This is a different 7" front triangle. The i2i will be too long for my shock by 1/2 inch or more. (7.875 vs 8.5)

How will this change the geometry of my bike ? Can it be done. Or, should I just forget it and ride the 01 front into the ground ?

The new ones are not 7" front triangles, they are just sold with the longer shock and a different shock shuttle mount that is offset. Your straight shuttle is correct for your shock.
You'll be fine, trust me. I've seen more bullits than everyone on this board put together.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
OK.

The warranty person at SCB (if I understood correctly) said it would change the geometry. That is to say the shorter shock i2i would slack out the angles... Or, at least would render the shock shuttle option useless. Because I'd have to run the shuttle all the way back to reach the shorter i2i.

Are you saying you think this is wrong ? I thought the pivot placement... was different since 2002 and newer.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
That was just marketing mumbo jumbo. Get the new front and rear together then run your shock. This will solve cable routing problems as well.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Interesting.

The new front would be nice. Particularly since the old pivot is wearing. Love to get some gusset plates too.

OK. I think I follow you here. To get more travel out of the old frame design SCB changed the shuttle design and the shock length. So, the two frames are basically identical.

But to use my old shock on the new frame I'll need my original shock shuttle to have it work properly ? (they gave me the new one. Didn't return the old)

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
TWISTED, you're wrong. the new '04 bullits don't accept the old shock of the '01 frame.
For '04 ('03 actually) SCB changed the position of the shock mount and the shock shuttle. Now, you can't change your ride position like on the old bike, and a shorter i2i shock (like yours, gmac) will REALLY make your bike slack. I suppose you could do it, but it would ride really weird.
I'd suggest trying to find an old fox with the correct i2i and having it pushed. Or, just keep the old front triangle and save your money for a new shock for next year.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Where do you people come up with this stuff? Don't believe everything you read in the magazines or on the internet. The new bullit has an adjustable shock shuttle as did the old one. The new one has "2 sets " of holes, the old one was slotted.
Either way there is at least 1/2" of adjustment. He wants to run a shock 1/2" shorter than spec'ed. Slide the shuttle to the most rearward position and it would be the same as the longer shock in the most forward position.

Santa Cruz wants to give you a new front triangle and you are not sure if you want it? Get your new bike and ride!!!!