Quantcast

Good tubeless downhill rim options

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I have a customer needing some new rims, she wants tubeless and has trashed her DT FR 6.1d's.
As far as dedicated tubeless rims is Mavic 823's it?
How do the Sun MTX 33's do in a tubeless setup?
Stan's Flows are NOT an option, not tough enough.
Any suggestions?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i have mtx 31s on my operator with dual ply wicked wills. i am running the gorilla tape method (not the cut tube). it has been awesome. i will never buy a tube for the big bike again :)

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Mavic, for easy tubeless.
wtb laserdisc or spank, for ghetto tubeless.

Ghetto may actually be better on a Dh bike, but either way paint the bead with stans. It helps them glue onto the rim/split tube. Stan's seems to dry the quickest and makes the best tyre glue/sealant Ive tried.

I've had less than stellar results with mtx rims, burp pretty easily, and prone to dents. Once they are dented it's goodbye tubeless compatibility. I have, however, dented them and they held up to finish the run.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Damn, 823's it is. I am not looking forward to building these wheels, those damn threaded nipple carriers really slow down wheel builds.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Atom Lab Pimp Lites done Ghetto with 20" tube not tape. About the same weight and reliability as 823s.
Or Zelvy carbon with 100MPH tape. Just built one of these myself, looks awesome.
Or Stans Flow EX for front only.
MTXs are tough wheels, but as said, dent easy. Still hold air pretty damn dented though.
Always hear good things about Alex rims but I've never tried them.
Everything is tubeless with rim strip or 20" tube.

Last edited:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
E13 LG1+ rims are tubeless ready, just tape needed.

FR600s don't dent as easily as 6.1ds but require rubber strip IME.

My next set of rims will probably be light bicycle DH rims...maybe.