Quantcast

Good under the jeans shinguards?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I've got the whole DH knee/shin setup, but those are too bulky and dorky for jumping. I rock the 661 Strait knee pads for jumping/park stuff, but I'd like to be able to add a shin guard for days working on can can's and such. Do you guys prefer a hard shell or a soft pad on the shin guards? What are some good ones?

EDIT: I'm looking for a shinguard without a knee pad attached. Something like the 661 veggie wrap shin...

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
the fox launch do a good job with that. They might be kinda pricey at 60 or 70 bucks but they are really compfortable. It just takes like 2 or 3 ride to break them in.

EDIT:

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/AutoForward.do?forward=home.pagedef#aforward=asyn&proId=6912&cid=148&cname=Guards&proNumber=29027&imgName=29027001F.jpg
Thanks...I guess I should have been clearer. I'm looking for a stand alone shin guard that works with a knee pad. If that is feasible...

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I love my Lizard Skins. They fit good under my jeans and leave plenty of room for knee pads where it wouldn't be too bulky. And they stay put.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Get something hard shell, softshell shinguards are pretty useless in my opinion. I just about only ever hit my shins on my pedals.:disgust: And something soft isn't going to stop the impact of metal and poky pokyness.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
I'm talking about the standard ones. I'm pretty sure Leethal was too. They are a little hot but I've heard of one guy drilling little vent holes in the plastic guard inside.

Jul 1, 2006
Chicago
Pro-tec makes a nice heavy duty shin guard that would fit under loose fitting jeans and give all the protection you could ever need.

Chip

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
my vote is for the standard lizzard skins, they have saved my shins from some mean back pedals and other frame impacts, not bulky at all but may be a bit hot come summer time since they are like 5mm neoprene.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I was refering to the standard ones... all knee & shin pads are going to be hot to the point there is little difference to be made with vent holes or whatnot--- maybe Dainese would be cooler but they look like they would move around to much.

mrv9292

Chimp
Mar 15, 2007
for the lizard skins, does the plastic inserts protect the front of your shins cuz thats where i get hit, and it says it protects the side not the bone....i dont really understand

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
Yes, the Lizard Skins plastic insert protects the front of your shin. After gashing my shin open last year I wear the L/S guards all the time now with no worries.

jherich

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
North Texas
i'm rockin' 661 4x4's.
I Hate the 4X4's, I have a set in my office I used for a few months the fit is strange to me. I'm now using a set of UGP shins and Shadow Industrial knee pads, this seems to be the best setup for me so far. I used a lot of pad combos some with both shins and knee pads together, some with out.

I really like what I'm running now.