Quantcast

Goodridge brake lines?...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
I hate to do this, but I've exhausted all of my resources. I'm looking for a rear goodridge brake line for a Hayes mag lever/G1 caliper (#105 me thinks) in carbon or clear.

I've checked with:
go-ride
bikeman
aebike
mtbstore
and the rest of the usual suspects

Word is that goodridge's only 2 US distributors is out of 'em. Curious if any of you monkeys work in, or loiter around, a shop that might have a set in stock.

Don't make me buy Hope mono M4s instead. :D

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
Cool that you checked AE Bike - they hook me up regularly, and ususally have awesome stock. Sorry to hear that they couldn't help you out.

Hey - you could always get Hope's:D

JF

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Do you break/kink hoses alot Incubus? Otherwise don't even bother. They don't do anything for the feel of Hayes.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I think you'll find the biggest benifit for Goodridge lines are on XT's.
Yeah, my rear line is pretty well kinked up from my RFX and the many bikes it's been on before.

The cable routing on my RFX kind of sucks to be honest with you. The stops run along the top tube and the rearward most one is a bit too close to the TT/ST brace, so I'm really looking for their flexibility first and foremost. The 5 spot is nice because you can go through/under the brace. I have to go around it.

Though admittedly I was hoping that there would be a better lever feel as well. Thanks for that update.

Not needing to hunt down compression bushings is nice too. Though I don't need to do that all that often.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Incubus
Yeah, my rear line is pretty well kinked up from my RFX and the many bikes it's been on before.

The cable routing on my RFX kind of sucks to be honest with you. The stops run along the top tube and the rearward most one is a bit too close to the TT/ST brace, so I'm really looking for their flexibility first and foremost. The 5 spot is nice because you can go through/under the brace. I have to go around it.

Though admittedly I was hoping that there would be a better lever feel as well. Thanks for that update.

Not needing to hunt down compression bushings is nice too. Though I don't need to do that all that often.
Try calling Goodridge direct.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
good thing I read this..I was going to put some G's lines on my mags...I am getting them on my saints so I will stick with that...just saved $100 :)

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Bulldog
Do you break/kink hoses alot Incubus? Otherwise don't even bother. They don't do anything for the feel of Hayes.
I COMPLETELY disagree....I have Hayes with Goodridge brake lines on my RFX - completely changed the feel of the brakes on long drops - SO much less fading! - in fact, it made such a difference on the Hayes that I'm going to try the Goodridge on my Hopes on my XCE (which I hate btw - so much fade even on short drops it's crazy)

look, it's an expensive upgrade - so it's not for everyone, but there is a noticable improvement in performance on long declines - so if you have the means, I highly recommend them...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Macrider
I COMPLETELY disagree....I have Hayes with Goodridge brake lines on my RFX - completely changed the feel of the brakes on long drops - SO much less fading! - in fact, it made such a difference on the Hayes that I'm going to try the Goodridge on my Hopes on my XCE (which I hate btw - so much fade even on short drops it's crazy)
Which Hayes? I hear the cheap HFX's have cheaper lines, so maybe they might benefit. But I'm running Mag's/Goodridge/RFX and there is no improvement at all. I never really had a problem/complaint with my old stock lines, just wanted to see if I could do better. Turns out I couldn't.

*edit* When did lines cause brakes to fade? Maybe the fresh fluid you used when bleeding the new lines made all the difference.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Which Hayes? I hear the cheap HFX's have cheaper lines, so maybe they might benefit. But I'm running Mag's/Goodridge/RFX and there is no improvement at all. I never really had a problem/complaint with my old stock lines, just wanted to see if I could do better. Turns out I couldn't.

*edit* When did lines cause brakes to fade? Maybe the fresh fluid you used when bleeding the new lines made all the difference.
I've got mags (8" fr/r) with Goodridge and Razor Rocks - brake lines cause fade on longer descents because the fluid heats up causing expansion of the brake line, giving more volume for the brake fluid = less braking power, since the metal lines on the Goodridge won't expand as much as the plastic stock lines, it doesn't allow this "fade" to happen - I've had the Goodridge lines for a while, so I'm pretty sure it's not the new fluid

as another plus, I got tired of wrecking and yanking hoses out of fittings - hasn't happened since the switch to Goodridge...

my buddy rides a Fy with the same brake setup - notices very big improvement on the Hayes mag's with Goodridge as well - pretty sure it isn't hype, but actual improvement on fade...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Macrider
I've got mags (8" fr/r) with Goodridge and Razor Rocks - brake lines cause fade on longer descents because the fluid heats up causing expansion of the brake line, giving more volume for the brake fluid = less braking power, since the metal lines on the Goodridge won't expand as much as the plastic stock lines, it doesn't allow this "fade" to happen - I've had the Goodridge lines for a while, so I'm pretty sure it's not the new fluid

as another plus, I got tired of wrecking and yanking hoses out of fittings - hasn't happened since the switch to Goodridge...

my buddy rides a Fy with the same brake setup - notices very big improvement on the Hayes mag's with Goodridge as well - pretty sure it isn't hype, but actual improvement on fade...
FYI the master cyclinder takes care of fluid expansion, unless you really boil the suckers.

The durability is a plus, I agree there.

Cool you guys are thrilled, you're the first two Hayes users that have noted any improvement. Glad to see they work for you.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Originally posted by math2014
Dude, i know that this may sound lame, but for a brake line why dont you try the best UK mailorder? www.chainreactioncycles.com

They usually have them in stock, international orders usually arrive within 4 days and for the size and cost of a brake line there is ZERO customs fee.

Just a thought.
You're on to something...

Thanks!

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Dude, i know that this may sound lame, but for a brake line why dont you try the best UK mailorder? www.chainreactioncycles.com

They usually have them in stock, international orders usually arrive within 4 days and for the size and cost of a brake line there is ZERO customs fee.

Just a thought.
Just ordered from them. If my credit card company uses the same exchange rate that CRcycles use on their website, it will cost me $100 and a couple cents USD for 2 line kits shipped.

Many of the on-line shops charge $53 and $58 for front and rear lines respectively. Plus shipping on top of that. Chain Reaction didn't have front/rear kits, rather one kit that can be used for the rear or cut for use up front.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Incubus
Just ordered from them. If my credit card company uses the same exchange rate that CRcycles use on their website, it will cost me $100 and a couple cents USD for 2 line kits shipped.

Many of the on-line shops charge $53 and $58 for front and rear lines respectively. Plus shipping on top of that. Chain Reaction didn't have front/rear kits, rather one kit that can be used for the rear or cut for use up front.
I am really glad if this is the first time i became usefull in this forum! i really hope you get them soon, and i am really looking forward to giving tips and any kind of help to buddies from across the pond.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
hmmm, I've never noticed any fading with my Hayes (8" purples and mags), but then again, I'm an east-coaster so the decents aren't usually more than 10min long.

The goodridge's certainly didn't change the lever feel; I guess I can see them having some effect on fading but it's not really an issue for me....

the webbster

Chimp
Jun 9, 2003
Trondheim, Norway
I was going to jump in there and suggest chainreaction too, but mr math beat me to it.

lots of us euro-based monkeys rely on them for cheap parts and good service. Their prices can compare to some US prices. you have to remember to get them to deduct the 17% british sales tax too, that makes it even cheaper.

I'm about to order a set of 'G's' for my M4's. woohoo!

JW

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by supros88
Do G-lines make a big difference in feel, power & modulation on hopes: m4, minis & ect?
No, at least I can't feel any improvement on a m4 or mini. They are more kink resistant. I allways used to get kinks at the lever which doesn't happen with the goodridge's. I only had them since september so can't comment on if they will stand up to the test of time.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Not true. They make a noticeable difference. I have been riding them since mid last season, and i notice a huge difference to the rear brake and a slight difference to the front.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I noticed a huge difference with my old hayes and the new Goodridge brake lines too. I run Razors also on a FLY

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Well i am using a front GR line on XT disc, got the stock braided on the rear, and its tons of difference, goodridge on the other hand says that the most difference will be observed when you replace the rear line....which i will do shortly.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well i am using a front GR line on XT disc, got the stock braided on the rear, and its tons of difference, goodridge on the other hand says that the most difference will be observed when you replace the rear line....which i will do shortly.
Thatsi very true, this is because there is a longer line length, more room for expansion.

I have the exact same setup brake wise as the guy above. Older model hayes (like 1997 model mags...yikes) and notice a huge difference on the rear.

Also, i think the lever makes a difference. The RRR lever ismuch stiffer then a stock one, allowing you to compress more, causing the line to expand more while the regular lever just starts to flex itself.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Transcend
Thatsi very true, this is because there is a longer line length, more room for expansion.

I have the exact same setup brake wise as the guy above. Older model hayes (like 1997 model mags...yikes) and notice a huge difference on the rear.

Also, i think the lever makes a difference. The RRR lever ismuch stiffer then a stock one, allowing you to compress more, causing the line to expand more while the regular lever just starts to flex itself.
Taaadaaa.... so the general conclusion, in order to fight the "buy hopes" signature campaign is.....

BUY XT/Hayes WITH GOODRIDGE LINES

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Kanter
Wow are the black Hayes that old, 97? I got them new last year on my bike.
Mine are champaign, black ones are about 2000 i think? It is the same older design tho, not the new G2 caliper design.

Mine have served me far more then expected. I am slowly starting to replace them, but damn, I love these things.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by Transcend
Mine are champaign, black ones are about 2000 i think? It is the same older design tho, not the new G2 caliper design.

Mine have served me far more then expected. I am slowly starting to replace them, but damn, I love these things.
FYI
I have the older (pre '00) lever. I have been running them with very few problems since '99. I recently crashed and broke the perch. I replaced it with a newer flipflop style lever that I had as a spare. I noticed immediatly that the older perch is stiffer. When you squeeze the lever hard, you can see a difference in deflection. You can also see that the older lever has signifigantly more bar contact area than the newer levers. I think I will try and find a older perch and switch back. Sometimes older is better.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I also think you feel the difference because of the actual diameter of the goodridge to stock. Factory XT lines are very wimpy compared to goodridge and stock Hopes. But like I have said before, upgrading to Goodridge lines from stock XT, is an awesome upgrade. It will improve the feel quite a bit, not because they are Goodridge, but its ID (inside diameter) is much greater.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
A few months ago I tried to order some Goodridge lines from a few online shops and none had them. I called Goodridge directly, and yes, there are two distributors. The guy at Goodridge told me they were surprised at the level of interest. I ended up having Fat Tire Farm here in Portland order them for me. I think they arrived in a month or so. Probably no help if the distributors are out of them though.

I replaced my stock XT lines and it was like I had new brakes. I think the stock lines had started ballooning. No matter how much I bled them, I couldn't even lock them up. I was starting to think maybe there was a problem with my levers or something.

New lines made the difference. Great modulation now too.