Quantcast

GoPro Chesty Mount Question

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Just purchased the camera/harness. Problem: I can't mount the camera so that it looks straight ahead. It is either a lovely shot of my top tube or the trees. Any suggestions? Pictures of set ups? Thanks.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I run mine upside down and either flip the video afterward or record it upside down with the new firmware upgrade so it shoots right. Flip it where the gopro mount clips onto the chest harness.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I run mine upside down and either flip the video afterward or record it upside down with the new firmware upgrade so it shoots right. Flip it where the gopro mount clips onto the chest harness.
This. It works perfectly. Just go to your menu on the Go pro and select under upside down mode, (Upside Down UPD) and it wil record upside down.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I just got one and went with this:

There's a LCD backpack on there. It actually dials in the pitch really good. First test was yesterday, and the view was great IMO. Problem is, I forgot to secure my bite valve, and it was swinging back and forth in front of the video. :oops:

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
flip it upside down

angle it off your chest maybe 30-40 degrees so it's pointing upwards/diagnol.

it will seem awkward when you are standing up, but when you are riding and hunched over it gets a good view.

i have 3 go pro HD's so i've tested a lot of angles...

Last edited:

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Go with the helmet mount. The chesty moves too much and looks like sh*t afterwards. I shot many chesty early last year and won't do it anymore do to the results.
The helmet provides a much better view anyway.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Any advice for getting it to stop shaking? I have mine tightened down all the way. Not sure if chest armor is causing issues. Or maybe I need to get fatter?
You are riding a bike down a mountain, it is going to have some shake. Tight shoulder straps, tighten the screw and use the rubber "bumper" that comes with the camera, and ride a bit smoother.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
You are riding a bike down a mountain, it is going to have some shake. Tight shoulder straps, tighten the screw and use the rubber "bumper" that comes with the camera, and ride a bit smoother.
Agreed, but my videos are definitely more than the usual shake. I should mention that I'm running the camera "right side up" but using the supplied mounting hardware to get it pointing up more (I believe the same as Lee's setup). Basically the plate that sits on your chest wants to rotate so as to point the camera at the ground, so that's exactly what it does over most bumps. I did experiment with increasing the size of the plate, which helped a lot, but was a bit unwieldy. Maybe I'll just try running it upside down like the rest of the world.