Quantcast

Got Hard Wood?

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I finished my first solid hardwood floor installation today. 5/8th pre-finished red-oak.

Ive done a lot of home improvement jobs over the past few years, but I must say, that this was one of the toughest. The tool it takes on your body is insane. You are literally on your hands and knees 90% of the time. Not bad for 4-5 hours, but after that... things start to ummmm... hurt. :nopity:

325 square feet
16 hours over two days

I can see know why the pros get $5/sq. foot for installation. Even Home Depot gets $3.50/foot. That means that even at the low end of the spectrum, I would have made $500/day.

This was for my buddies girlfriends mom, so lets just say I didn't do it for the money. Good to have this skill under my belt as well.

Here's a before and after shot:

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Looks good, was it the easy kind that snaps together or the good old fashion tongue and groove that you have to nail down every few feet?

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Thats what I was saying. But didn't they come out with some kind of hardwood that just snaps together and requires no nailing.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
This was the real tongue and groove stuff... I used a small bead of floor adhesive with nails every foot or so. I think that laminate stuff is crap... Crap I say!!!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Wait, since it was your buddies girlfriends mom, you did it voluntarily?

Since we both bike and post on ridemonkey, will you come do my house next?

Looks good.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
crashby,

nice work! the before and aft. pics really show off the improvement the HW's make!

you need to pat yourself on the back for that, an excellent job I must say!

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thanks y'all! :)

A project like this really makes me want for a higher level of flip house next year... I think I might be done with little sh1t-boxes in the city. ;)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
sneakysnake they did come out with the snap stuff, but i think they still want you to glue it down just to be on the safe side. man that is a fine flooring job man. we got lucky with our new house. our wood was underneith the carpet and just had to be exposed and it is absolutly gorgeous. great job man.

gigapower

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
Tulsa, OK
We are currently shopping for hardwoods, so many choices out there. Some people say buy the fake stuff, others say buy the real stuff. Some say, some say glue, some say don't do anything...really frustrating.