Quantcast

Grand Junction downhill trail in the works (public land and easy access = A++)

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I don't know if any of you are aware of what's happening in Grand Junction right now, but there is a new DH specific trail being built. It is not yet complete, and must be officially approved before it is opened to the public.

Thanks to all the great people that made this happen. I know it took a lot of years and effort - we appreciate it!

I've gathered some of the pics that I found on mtbr for you to check out, if you don't have an mtbr account: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=343553

Rock drop, variable tranny

Two routes, left and right

Two trannies. Camera right is a rhythm

Hipped gap. Gotta hit the drops previous to even access this

Wall ride with abrupt ending

Ramp up on the right, sketchy step-up on the left

Kicker over crest

Rock gap, endless tranny

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That's awesome! Great work! Assuming it gets approved is it shuttleable or is this something that we must "earn our turns"?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
That's awesome! Great work! Assuming it gets approved is it shuttleable or is this something that we must "earn our turns"?
This is shuttleable, using public roads. It will be open to anyone.

vpfree05 said:
I'm there. Where is the trailhead? Any other good DH trails in Grand Junction.
The trail is in the 'lunch loops' area. Google it for directions, or visit this link for more info: http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/gj.html

The ribbon is a decent dh trail as well, with a hike out.

Keep in mind that this trail is not yet open. Do NOT attempt to ride it before it is fully built and approved.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Might wanna hold your horses, just started snowing again......... And there're still about 2 inches on the ground from the previous storm system....... :(

Lame, I am starting to get annoyed with Colorado. Let me know when you are free for a weekend and the snow stops, I want to get out there for a bit of riding especially with the king himself My. Howse. I am still waiting on my frames and shipment from Shimano, so probably early Feb?!

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Lame, I am starting to get annoyed with Colorado. Let me know when you are free for a weekend and the snow stops, I want to get out there for a bit of riding especially with the king himself My. Howse. I am still waiting on my frames and shipment from Shimano, so probably early Feb?!
If any of y'all make it down there in the next month or so throw up some pics and a little ride report. THe wife and I have been talking about going to GJ/Fruita for some winter riding but didn't want to make the trip and get skunked w/ a bunch of snow (which is exactly what happened to us in Moab on Thanksgiving, in spite of snowless weather reports:disgust1:).

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
As long as the ground is frozen you will not hurt the trail. It is just when the top is thawed and it is frozen underneath that you do damage.