Quantcast

Grand Junction/Fruita....Worth the move from Phoenix?

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
So I've been living here in Phoenix for nearly a year now, and after a few ups and some major downs, I'm starting to reconsider why I'm here. Two of my closest friends from back home in Alaska are moving to Fruita in the fall, and I'm really thinking about going along for a change of scene. Warm weather is nice, and the women are beautiful in Phoenix (but the materialism kills me), but it still leaves me wanting. I still have to finish college, and I'd like to find a decent job so I don't have to scrape by with no money to eat. Can anyone tell me anything about Mesa State College? Is their kinesiology program decent? How's the job market in Grand Junction? I've read a lot of great things about all the singletrack around Fruita, but is there any good downhill without having to drive 3-4 hours? I don't mind driving, being in the middle of all those resorts is a dream come true. And last but not least, how's the lady situation? I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I make a decision to move or stay. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I can't answer any of your specific questions, but wanted to throw in a hell yes.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
It's not like you have good downhill now without having to drive for 3-4 hours, so as long as you get close, it should be good.

Not to mention, think about how much closer you'd be to places like Moab and Crested Butte.

I think my main concern would be about a job / school, and in those areas, I can't help either.

So, another hell yes from me.

edit: for the record, I spent ~6 years in Phoenix and ~11 in Tucson. (moved to East coast in 2000)

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah my main concerns are school and work, but I also want to know if there's any kind of night life around there. I don't mean the club scene, I can't stand that sh!t. I'm more of a dive bar guy. If there's good people and good beer, I'm pretty happy. Of course, there have to be some pretty ladies too. :evil:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Alaskan_Assassin said:
Yeah my main concerns are school and work, but I also want to know if there's any kind of night life around there. I don't mean the club scene, I can't stand that sh!t. I'm more of a dive bar guy. If there's good people and good beer, I'm pretty happy. Of course, there have to be some pretty ladies too. :evil:
Dive bars? Oh yeah. There will be plenty of those in the Junction/Fruita area. WRT the "pretty ladies" - it probably depends on your definition of pretty......... :rofl:

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
SkaredShtles said:
Dive bars? Oh yeah. There will be plenty of those in the Junction/Fruita area. WRT the "pretty ladies" - it probably depends on your definition of pretty......... :rofl:
Dude... I've been in Scottsdale for the past year. Seeing the women around this town, you can imagine what I have in my mind for comparisons. Are you tellin me I'm gonna go to the bar and end up surrounded by sea donkeys?!?!

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Alaskan_Assassin said:
Dude... I've been in Scottsdale for the past year. Seeing the women around this town, you can imagine what I have in my mind for comparisons. Are you tellin me I'm gonna go to the bar and end up surrounded by sea donkeys?!?!
Affirmative.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
You could always move somewhere like Glenwood Springs that is close to Aspen.

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I'd be moving to Fruita because I'd have my friends as roommates, plus I need to be somewhere to finish college. Damn sea donkeys......

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. You'd not move to Fruita because of the wimmen?? You're moving for the wrong reason, then. Stay in AZ. :nonono: :nuts:
Should have put a smiley there or something, I was being sarcastic. I'm from small town Alaska, whatever Grand Junction has to offer has got to be better than back home. :D My main interests are school, job, riding, women. In that order. Sounds like a pretty kickass place to me. How's the cost of living? Is it decent or all jacked up like AZ? $800 for my one bedroom apartment is getting real old here.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I live in Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction is about a hour away. I have not heard much about the night life but I am sure their are some good dive bars. If you are not a outdoors person their is nothing else to do. Women they are around and some good looking ones, it just seems alot have baggage(kids) already. I think the first things girls do out here after graduating highschool is get pregnant if they aren't already.

As for riding there is a ton. Fruita has good XC and Vail is 2 hours away. You do not have to drive to Vail for DH, you just have to hike or shuttle the many trails around. Some of the XC trails have killer descents on them.

As for Kinesiology, I believe the best known and respected Kinesiologist lives in Grand Junction, I can't remember his name. With this being the case I would assume Mesa State has a decent program.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Alaskan_Assassin said:
Should have put a smiley there or something, I was being sarcastic. I'm from small town Alaska, whatever Grand Junction has to offer has got to be better than back home. :D My main interests are school, job, riding, women. In that order. Sounds like a pretty kickass place to me. How's the cost of living? Is it decent or all jacked up like AZ? $800 for my one bedroom apartment is getting real old here.
Here's a thought maing. Do the move, goto a "not too difficult" school, then transfer into a top notch one after your GPA is nearing the 4.0. Getting a fresh slate when you transfer (if you currently have a less than stellar GPA) is a good thing. AND, when you come down to the front range, plenty of chicas, good riding, close to lifts (well, 2 hour drive anyway), plenty of "culture", on top of all this you'll get a degree which (in the case of CSM, you can write your own meal ticket) will feed you plenty well w/ a nice roof over your head. Just one word of caution: when you're about to blow off homework and go shuttle something in Junction, remember your purpose :evil:

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Pau11y said:
Here's a thought maing. Do the move, goto a "not too difficult" school, then transfer into a top notch one after your GPA is nearing the 4.0. Getting a fresh slate when you transfer (if you currently have a less than stellar GPA) is a good thing. AND, when you come down to the front range, plenty of chicas, good riding, close to lifts (well, 2 hour drive anyway), plenty of "culture", on top of all this you'll get a degree which (in the case of CSM, you can write your own meal ticket) will feed you plenty well w/ a nice roof over your head. Just one word of caution: when you're about to blow off homework and go shuttle something in Junction, remember your purpose :evil:
CSM??

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Alaskan_Assassin said:
the women are beautiful in Phoenix (but the materialism kills me),.
ASU houses the some of the best looking women in the country (Most college students are affraid of materialism).

Alaskan_Assassin said:
How's the job market in Grand Junction? I've read a lot of great things about all the singletrack around Fruita, but is there any good downhill without having to drive 3-4 hours?
Job market will be like any other standard larger-small town. Not a ton of tourism type jobs there, but construction is going crazy there.

DH? Sure. There's a few places that you can shuttle, but will require some pedaling. As for a short 3-4 hour drive; you can access Vail, Keystone and Summit County within 1.5 to 2 hours, Denver in 4 hours. YOu can prolly make silverton and Durango in the same time. Moab is only 1.5 hours away.

Alaskan_Assassin said:
I don't mind driving, being in the middle of all those resorts is a dream come true. And last but not least, how's the lady situation? I'm just trying to cover all my bases before I make a decision to move or stay. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Grand Junction will be way more 'hick' than Phoenix. Night life is non-existent compared to Mill Street. However, you can always find a needle in a haystack that is longing to get the h@ll out of there.

I'd say move.