Quantcast

Grilling Experts: Suggestions

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just picked up a new grill - Kenmore 4 burner w/ Side Burner.

(http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07116641000P?mv=rr)

I will be mounting J-hooks for tools on the non-burner side during the week. I will be getting the following, any suggestions?
- A good smoker box and wood chips?
- A good waterproof cover as my area is very wet and the grill in on the back patio.
- Pizza Stone.

I intend to move a lot of our cooking to the grill, as propane is very cheap compared to our electric stove/oven. Any suggestion on good things to cook on the grill are appreciated as well. Recipes included.

Thanks.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp. dried sage
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tbsp. honey (the Myers' brand is very good!)
2 tbsp. olive oil
Ground pepper to taste

Marinade about 1 1/4 lbs of pork tenderloin, cut into 1" cubes in the above overnight. Add some chopped up veggies (peppers, onions, etc) about an hour before grilling. Put on skewers and have at it.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I have a smoker box from Brookstone that seems to work quite well, but doesn't seem to be really that much different in terms of construction than other boxes that I've seen available. I have found that soaking the wood chips longer than is recommended (about 1-2 hours) works better on our grill and creates less "flair-ups" within the box.

I also like to use cedar planks, especially with salmon. My brother has soaked is in cheap white wine instead of water for added flavor on fish.

I recently picked up one of these after hearing my neighbor rave about his:
http://www.vermontcountrygrillstone.com/ I'm looking forward to trying it out this week.

Also this is a GREAT recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chili-Beef-Skewers-242326 Works great with chicken or beef. This has been a hit at our neighborhood block-party for the past two years!

Good luck!

toby

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
This is a great pork marinade....one I use often.

1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 tablespoon Hoisin Sauce
1 teaspoon Sesame oil
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 small pinch of 5-spice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and pour over pork chops, tenderloin, or boneless country style ribs. Let marinate for 30 min to 1 hour in fridge and you're good to go.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have a smoker box from Brookstone that seems to work quite well, but doesn't seem to be really that much different in terms of construction than other boxes that I've seen available. I have found that soaking the wood chips longer than is recommended (about 1-2 hours) works better on our grill and creates less "flair-ups" within the box.

I also like to use cedar planks, especially with salmon. My brother has soaked is in cheap white wine instead of water for added flavor on fish.

I recently picked up one of these after hearing my neighbor rave about his:
http://www.vermontcountrygrillstone.com/ I'm looking forward to trying it out this week.

Also this is a GREAT recipe:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chili-Beef-Skewers-242326 Works great with chicken or beef. This has been a hit at our neighborhood block-party for the past two years!

Good luck!

toby
Cedar planks are absolutly awesome for fish on the grill, way easier to control the smoke level. Also way easier to cook teh fish all the way through and evenly.

As far as a smoker, only real difference between one smoker and another is the grill itself, and wether or not its non stick. Personally, I dont have a smoker box, I have a wood chip tray that sits underneath the grill, soak your chips for a couple hours, water works, wine works better, water and nourban seems to be even better than that. straight bourban means big ass fire. I put them in the chip tray, fire up the grill on a low to low medium heat, and start cooking.It works just like a smoker does, it covers the fire almost completly when I have it in use, so its trluly the smoke that is cooking the meat.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I agree.....I have a beautiful stainless steel Holland grill on my patio and it hasn't been used in over two years. It's charcoal all the way for me. I grill out about 3-5 nights a week.

Same here...I have a 800 dollar Jenn-air SS gas grill that I can't get parts for so it makes a great table for when I am cooking on my Weber which I'd rather cook on anyways.

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, yeah, gas. My complex does not allow charcoal grills /conversation. I am looking for work arounds, hence the wood chip/smoker box, pizza stone, and cedar plank. Any other good suggestions?

Apr 3, 2009
Charleston, S.C.
Marinate some dolphin in crushed pineapple and dales steak seasoning. Dont overcook. Just till the meat starts to flake apart.

It will make a house cat spit in a bull dogs face.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Step 1. Open a beer I guess.
Step 2. Return gas "grill".
Step 3. Buy Weber Gold Kettle.
Step 4. Tell HOA to suck a lemon.
Step 5. ?????
Step 6. Profit
Step 7. Find a new place to live.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
How to cook a steak.

What you need:
god cut of meat, sea salt, canola oil, olive oil, cup of melted butter.

(1) Rub steak with sea salt.
(2) Rub with thin coating of canola oil (makes outside of steak cook at higher temp thus becoming more crispy).
(3) Let steak sit for a few minutes before grilling.
(4) When steak hits grill do not move for a couple of minutes.
(5) Brush on butter constantly (helps flavor and contributes to nice blackish brown outer shell).
(6) After steak is done hit it with a dash of salt and a tbsp of olive oil.

NOTE: Do not use the olive oil during the cooking process, olive oil burns very easily and will give your steak a burnt taste. Also don't use iodized salt, it will give a slightly tinny flavor.

This is how it is done by the chefs at the best steakhouses.
Now you have the knowledge... and remember, every time you cook a steak past medium, a puppy dies.

Last edited: