Quantcast

Grippy yet still fast rolling XC type tires

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm currently running Kenda Kinetic 2.35s with the Stick E rubber compound on my Balfa Belair but I will be doing the 24 Hours of Dalton race at the end of June and the Belair will be my bike of choice for that race.

I'm looking for input on set od XC tires that will be light, grippy, yet still pretty fast rolling - at least moreso than the 2.35 Kendas.

Any good recommendations??

Thanks!

Mark

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am not familiar with the soil conditions there but for hard dry surfaces my personal favorite is the Hutchinson Python. For muddy conditions I like the Maxxis swampthing, it is light and gives gobs of traction in loose stuff, does not roll that well though.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
Originally posted by MMcG
I'm currently running Kenda Kinetic 2.35s with the Stick E rubber compound on my Balfa Belair but I will be doing the 24 Hours of Dalton race at the end of June and the Belair will be my bike of choice for that race.

I'm looking for input on set od XC tires that will be light, grippy, yet still pretty fast rolling - at least moreso than the 2.35 Kendas.

Thanks!

Mark
Well, if it's rainy in the days leading up to the race, pick tires that work well on slippery, slimy, off-camber roots.:rolleyes:
I was very bruised and very dirty there 2 years ago.

Otherwise, I'm of little help. I'm digging the look of the Kenda Cortez for dry conditions, but have not gotten around to buying them yet.

Blue Grooves are fairly fast in the 2.35 size.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Mackie
Well, if it's rainy in the days leading up to the race, pick tires that work well on slippery, slimy, off-camber roots.:rolleyes:
I was very bruised and very dirty there 2 years ago.

Otherwise, I'm of little help. I'm digging the look of the Kenda Cortez for dry conditions, but have not gotten around to buying them yet.

Blue Grooves are fairly fast in the 2.35 size.
I'm thinking that the Blue Groove Nevegal combo could be a good replacement at Trail bike tires for me in place of the Kinetics - I've heard that they are far superior to the Kinetics which were really the first genreation stick E rubber kendas.

the Cortez do look nice for dry too - I need a Kenda hookup!

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I would think you want to pick a more XC race tire in somewhere in a 2.1 size for a 24 hour race. Maybe a Maxxis with Supertacky rubber if you want the tire to grip very well. Running a smaller tire will give you less rolling resistance, faster acceleration, and less rotational weight. If you are riding on hardpack, I second the Pythons.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish
I would think you want to pick a more XC race tire in somewhere in a 2.1 size for a 24 hour race. Maybe a Maxxis with Supertacky rubber if you want the tire to grip very well. Running a smaller tire will give you less rolling resistance, faster acceleration, and less rotational weight. If you are riding on hardpack, I second the Pythons.
Yep I want some 2.1s or 2.0s - just not sure which ones yet.

Not sure if it'll be hardpack - probably won't be.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Not hardpack I'd go with, if you want to go skinny, 1.8 FireXCs or if you don't like the skinniness, 2.1s. Or Hutchinson Scorps, if you don't mind them wearing out fast.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Conti Vertical Pros. Awesome for western Mass conditions. Good volume to manage the rocks, climbs good, clears mud good, and handles wet roots awesome.....jdcamb

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by jdcamb
Conti Vertical Pros. Awesome for western Mass conditions. Good volume to manage the rocks, climbs good, clears mud good, and handles wet roots awesome.....jdcamb
I have a Conti ver pro/Survival pro combo right now Jim, they roll pretty good, but I don't love em.

Any other suggestions? And is it true tht you are going to be part of Team 4 :monkey: s and a Baboon as our volunteer? That's what I've heard via Splat.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Conti ver pro/Survival pro combo right now Jim, they roll pretty good, but I don't love em.

Any other suggestions? And is it true tht you are going to be part of Team 4 :monkey: s and a Baboon as our volunteer? That's what I've heard via Splat.
I should have said that I run it only as a back tire. As a front it isn't all that. I run a Specy Enduro Pro 2.2 upfront. Awesome tire but only upfront. IRC Mythos XC makes a good XC combo and they are cheap and disposable. The folks from Quebec run Panaracer Fire XC's with good luck. If you have the money Nokian and Schwable both make some great tires. I can't afford them but they are excellent tires. If you want a good cheap all around beater tire then you can't go wrong with Kenda Kinetics 2.2's. Not the sticky tire but the normal one. I got a set from Pedros for $22. I used them at the first MonkeyFest with no problems. I go through a lot of tires and buy only the cheap ones. So I may not be the best person to take advice from. I am well know for my Unorthodox equipment choices....

I wrench therefor I am. I have no idea what Splat is talking about ;) .....jdcamb

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by jdcamb
I should have said that I run it only as a back tire. As a front it isn't all that. I run a Specy Enduro Pro 2.2 upfront. Awesome tire but only upfront. IRC Mythos XC makes a good XC combo and they are cheap and disposable. The folks from Quebec run Panaracer Fire XC's with good luck. If you have the money Nokian and Schwable both make some great tires. I can't afford them but they are excellent tires. If you want a good cheap all around beater tire then you can't go wrong with Kenda Kinetics 2.2's. Not the sticky tire but the normal one. I got a set from Pedros for $22. I used them at the first MonkeyFest with no problems. I go through a lot of tires and buy only the cheap ones. So I may not be the best person to take advice from. I am well know for my Unorthodox equipment choices....

I wrench therefor I am. I have no idea what Splat is talking about ;) .....jdcamb
One more time please... I don't quite get it yet.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Depending on the soil.

For hardpack/loose over hardpack try the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25. They are a wee bit narrow for a 2.25, have good volume and corner like your on rails. Mine weight about 530'ish.

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
Maxxis UST High Roller 2.1 on front and Larsen TT 2.0 on rear (on HT, 26psi f/34psi r, 173lb. rider, 85psi in my Fox Float RLC 100, etc.) is fast for me on the Front Range hardpack, loose over hardpack, techy/rocky and broken rock. Used to like Vertical Pro 2.3 on the front, still like them, wanted a faster rolling, lighter and little narrower tire on front for the XC bike.

The High Roller is supposed to be available in a UST 2.35 too though, and since they run small, may go 2.35 instead of 2.1 on front if I find one in UST casing. When we say "grippy", most tires with knobs are grippy, most tires of any type will break loose at a point in the loose stuff. This tire combo does not "squirm". So I like the predictable way the High Roller firmly bites, but drifts before breaking loose, easy to correct and handle (no wonder it's an excellent DH tire tread pattern).

Tires that bite like crazy like you are riding on spikes, then abruptly wash and dump you just past the point and angle of max adheasion are of no use to me. And the Larsen TT hooks up on climbs for me, does not break loose, but slips just enough to let me know where I am with my traction, balance and power. I like being able to ease off and keep climbing up the loose stuff rather than suddenly spin out and rack myself on my top tube. Hard to just spin out and blow a climb as long as I have it in me. And difficult to skid under braking. Corners acceptably. I like that Larsen TT as a rear tire here.

And this is all assuming that you know or try to distribute your weight over your bike correctly. I have seen people ride on these same tires (and all tires) and hate them because they have not a clue that if you don't distribute your weight and brake properly and find your optimum air pressure, you will not stay on your bike, or at least connected to the trail surface, much less roll fast when you do. Everything is a compromise, no tire is perfect for everything, but what's perfect for you is nice when you are able to find it.

Cheers,

Dave

Edit: I spelt it rong...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by greasey monkey
nokian nbx....... I just got a pair and have a couple rides on them they roll fast and are very sticky I like them :thumb:
I like them too, but I would NOT call them fast rolling. Great front tire, but not what he needs.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
how is the intense rubber in terms of "stickyness"? personally, i was looking at the system 4s in a 2.25

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
My experience with the Kenda Blue Grooves 2.1 in stick e rubber is decidedly different than those that indicate these things roll fast.

I found them to be the slowest rolling tire I have ever used. That includes DH tires. They have awesome grip but the penalty to me is far too great.

I went back to my old WTB 2.4 mutanoraptors and was absolutely shocked at the difference. While they are not as grippy as the Kendas they were grippy enough and light years better in the rolling resistance department. The WTBs 2.4 at less than 600 grams and I have only had one flat and that was more my fault than anything.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I was told the BG 2.00 Lite is the one that rolls fast not the regular 2.1's...

Originally posted by DRB
My experience with the Kenda Blue Grooves 2.1 in stick e rubber is decidedly different than those that indicate these things roll fast.

I found them to be the slowest rolling tire I have ever used. That includes DH tires. They have awesome grip but the penalty to me is far too great.

I went back to my old WTB 2.4 mutanoraptors and was absolutely shocked at the difference. While they are not as grippy as the Kendas they were grippy enough and light years better in the rolling resistance department. The WTBs 2.4 at less than 600 grams and I have only had one flat and that was more my fault than anything.

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere

Thanks!

Mark
Hey Mark! Don't know what the soils are like there, but here in Ory-gone, the Panaracer Fire 2.1's really do well in most conditions (if it's snot, they suck hard). Reasonably light, feel fast even at 35 psi. You could wrench on the pressure a bit, maybe to 40 or so. Not spendy. Love them. Me likey.

Cheers!

Mike