Quantcast

Grips and Dirt

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
Dirtjumping seems to have taken a toll on the grips of my bmx. What is a good grip set-up that seals the inside of the grips from dirt to eliminate "throttle-grip"? How are the Odi-locks? Any suggestions to keep my grips in place would be cool. Thanks

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Lockons will fix the problem of grips moving due to dirt under them. Of course BMXers don't think Lockons are cool, but they work.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Yeah, the ODIs are definitely the way to go. However, it may also have something to do with how you're putting the grip on. If you're putting on the grip, make sure the bar is completely dry and clean (like you haven't heard that before). Then spray the inside of the grip with a spray-paint that matches the colour of your bars. Slide the grip on and let it dry for about an hour I think it is. The spray-paint locks almost better than ODIs, IMO.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
The problem with ODI's on a bmx for me is that they don't offer the padding that a normal grip does. Since they are like half stiff plastic they are much harsher on the wrists and hands than a nice squishy grip when running a rigid fork and highish tire pressure. As with all advice your milage may vary.;)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
DK makes some bar ends that are specifically designed to avoid throttle grip... You shave away a bit of the outside edge of the grip, and they fit over it... thus preventing dirt from entering.

To be honest, I haven't ever really had the problem, so I haven't tried them, but other people around here seem to be fans.

Oct 3, 2003
Denver, CO
buy odi longnecks, best bmx grip ever made, me and everyone in my town have been rideing them the past 10 years...and they are cheap...a little hard and waxy at first but once you work them on with your hands and not a compressor they are good. i cant stress how great these grips are, if you ride without gloves the grooves channel away all sweat. buy them now, i even have back up pairs

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
i put in a small amount of rubbing alcohol
and then put in on with an air compressor.
the air compressor will dry the alcohol and
make your grips super hard and they will
never move, and if they do move after awhile,
repeat

morgan

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
The Odi-lock Ruffians look nice. Has anyone tried them? I have odi-lock Rogue's on my MTB and like them also. If i choose not to get Odi's, does anyone have recommendations for a grip to run with the DK Anti-throttle bar ends (preferably short grips)?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Well, the shortest grips I'm aware of are the Industry ones. Something like 125mm, with average being more like 140. The ODI's everyone's talking about are 143.

DK actually makes a pair of grips that come with a plastic version of the anti-throttle bar ends, so I would assume you won't have to do any grip shaving to make those work.

http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=DETAIL&item=367043

I think that link will take you there. If not, just go to Dan's Comp and find the DK Iron Cross grips. They're shorter than average, too... 130mm

Dropking

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
Gaithersburg, MD
I think im going to order some Odi longnecks and shove some DK anti-throttle bar ends on them. Back in the day i had a very similar grip to the longnecks and really liked them. I would get the DK ironcross grips, but i hate the DK grips i have right now so im scared of them. Although the longnecks are long, i can always cut them a bit or get use to them, they just look so soft and nice.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I have had two sets of ODI lkon ruffians. Love them. They feel really nice once they get worn down a lot. But if you get them, make sure you are really careful when you tighten the bolts. If you strip the bolts at all you sometimes have to cut it off. But overall they are awesome.

B

bigjumper820

well I guess I'm not a bmxer, but I like to use the odi Intense lock on grips for my downhill purposes, never had one slip in my life. they are extremely tough too, the don't wear out too quickly

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ODI Ruffians are great, I used to use Longnecks, but one day I went to the store and they were out, so I got the Ruffian lock ons, and I think I will be using them for a long time. To be honest I don't really think you'll notice that they're 'Harsher' than Non- Lock on grips. I didn't.

Anyway if you really don't want to use lock-ons, and have problems with grips slipping, get some fine steel wire, wrap a couple of turns round each end of your grip, and twist em up tight with a pair of pliars until the wire bites into the grip a bit. Then cut off the excess and presto.

The other thing we used to do was clean the bar real good before applying the grip, then lube it on with vucanising solution from your puncture repair kit. don't use too much, then leave it to 'set' overnight, and that works pretty good. Samething with some brands of hairspray. Stuff that your sister used in the 80s probably works best.

To be honest, now I have grips I can take on and off with an Allen key, and never move, no matter what, all the other methods seem somewhat stoneage.