Quantcast

GT DHi BB Housing BENT!!!

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rode my GT DHi for the FIRST time this weekend and apparently I took a big rock to the housing which subsequently bent it out of round. To check for freedom of movement of the swingarm I removed the shock and cycled the swingarm through its travel. It is now stuck in the fully compressed position and will not move freely to its uncompressed state. I just took digital pics and as soon as I can get them loaded I will post. I appreciate any and all suggestions....except please don't tell me I am **** out of luck. Prior to removing the shock the bike was rideable so I don't know what is going on. Either way I appreciate ANY help someone can give.
Thanks
Adam

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
Talk to your LBS. Find out if it is fixable. If not, find out a contact # for GT. I know they are bankrupt but there is someone still there selling off the remaining bikes. If it is warranteeable, and you haven't signed anything waiving your warranty, someone has to accaept it and take care of it. Good Luck.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I really don't know what to say as far as helping goes, but I'm REALLY sorry to hear about it, that sucks some huge ass. Good luck getting it sorted out.

The only problem with pounding out the dent is that the BB area is such a highly stressed part, it'll be weakened. Plus, with all the pivoting in there, everything is compounded. I'm pretty sure you have no chance at a warranty - crash damage is not something that's usually covered unless you have a "No-fault" warranty (pretty sure that's what they're called), but those are rare. MAYBE you can get a crash replacement sort of deal (discount on one of the old stock frames). But I dunno if GT ever even HAD one of those programs, let alone if Pacific wants to continue it.

I think I have a good idea of when/where that dent happened.........:D (nose wheelies, anyone?)

oh yeah - not what you wanted to hear, but MMike has a GTi up for sale over in the buy/sell forum.........:rolleyes: