Quantcast

GT Lobo frame

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
those things are a nightmare man. I would stay away from it unless you are getting it super cheap. they have tons of problems, and GT isn't really in position to provide you with much help should you need it

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i had one, long ago when it first came out. rode it for 4months, until the headtube ripped off. i was racing and on a straight away it just cracked....and sheered off. STAY AWAY

You could put an e type front mech on the Lobo and run triple rings but I wouldn't bother.The frame weighs too much and the seat tube angle wouldn't be right if you put the saddle up far enough to actually ride it anywhere without buggering your knees up.

BTW My Lobo is still going strong on it's original shock after three years of racing.Granted I snapped the original STS frame but at the time GT was still a goer and I got a new aluminium frame and a new shock.Still have the original shock from the STS that's had about three months use so I'm well off for spares.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um... the STS and the lobo have completely different shock designs. they're not interchangable.

Element

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
Ft Walton Beach, FL
I guess I should have clarified on my type of riding. Although, I don't know if it would matter at all.

I'm not a downhiller (I wish I was, but I live in Florida). I ride mostly cross country trails and some urban riding. Jumping curbs and bunny hopping everything I can find. So far, my Specialized Rockhopper hardtail has taken all of the abuse I have thrown at it. I bought the bike new three years ago. I haven't had any rim damage, or frame bending. I weigh about 185 pounds and my weight gets slammed on the bike constantly. I've gone through 5 seats in the last 3 years (bending rails).

The GT frame I was asking about is 200 bucks. It sounded like a really good deal until you guys scared the hell out of me. Thanks for the warnings. I would have been really pissed to buy this frame and have it blow up on me.

Originally posted by DHS
um... the STS and the lobo have completely different shock designs. they're not interchangable.
I think you'll find that there were two Lobo's.
The origional was produced for one year only (1998) and was an STS (carbon) frame with aluminium lugs at the pivot points/BB shell etc.Running a Rock Shox Coupe Delux pull shock,six inch travel.
After these were pulled from production the second generation Lobo was aluminium with a beefed up rear linkage.Only the seat stays and geometry remained the same.However the basic design of the suspention was the same,Rock Shox Coupe Delux pull shock,six inch travel.
I have both versions sat here so I can tell you that the shocks are indeed interchangeable.
The STS you're thinking of is the LTS STS which used a trunion mounted shock of the normal compression variety,which would obviousley not fit a Lobo.