Quantcast

GT to have a G-Box bike for 05'

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
any of you guys that get bicycle retailer, check page 16. Gt's got a G-Box DH bike, using shimano's nexus hub, 7-9" of travel. Thats all it really says about it though. Small pic shows the bike with left side drive, and a disc on the right side. Looks to be a single pivot.......I'm sure someone here has a scanner and can upload the photo.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Kornphlake
What would it have taken to make it a standard right side drive?
Mounting the cranks the wrong way around, which would mean your pedals would always be falling off.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by - seb
Mounting the cranks the wrong way around, which would mean your pedals would always be falling off.
Don't bmxers occasionally run thier chanring on the left side? This would either suggest that there's a standard for left side drive cranks or the pedals really don't fall off. Since the chain is going to a jackshaft it really wouldn't be a problem to use a BMX crank anyways.

E

endtroducing

if you wanted to restrict yourself to LHD 3-piece BMX cranks (like Brooklyn) then yes, you'd be fine. It seems they provided this workaround specifically to allow the use of standard MTB cranks.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
eh, I guess it's a tough call, limit hub choices to one, or limit crank choices to a few. Still I would rather have a standard hub, it's more likely that I'd have problems with a hub than with a crank.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Village Idiot
A commuter hub on a DH bike:dead: Well, I guess its not under much stress.
GT has wanted to build this bike for years but Shimano told them their Nexus was a commuter hub and wouldn't hold up. This year Shimano finally came out with the Nexus 8R Sport which is supposed to be lighter, more efficient, and more importantly tough enough for mountain bike user.

Time will tell but technically it's not a commuter hub.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by crashing_sux
GT has wanted to build this bike for years but Shimano told them their Nexus was a commuter hub and wouldn't hold up. This year Shimano finally came out with the Nexus 8R Sport which is supposed to be lighter, more efficient, and more importantly tough enough for mountain bike user.

Time will tell but technically it's not a commuter hub.
Really? I've never anywhere seen Shimano or anyone else say the Nexus could hold up to real abuse. I've been reading as much on the 8R Sport as I could too, as I'm interested in it for my city bike. Where did you get your mountain-bike-use-OK info?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Personally I'd rather LHD cranks and a standard hub, just because there's alot more options for LHD cranks than there are for LHD hubs right now.

They must have alot of confidence in that hub, giving it a few standing start hill sprints would be interesting.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
We just got 4th generation GT prototypes in the office. Doesnt really look much like the 1st gen bike in the photo. Lopes will be on one soon as will our other non-racer testers (a bunch of cavemen that just destroy stuff...but actually have a clue about bicycles).
We are really hoping to have it for sale in 05' but I dont think that will happen. We are spending a lot of time with the ID-5 (new i-drive design with 5.5") those are pretty much done, look and ride killer.

After I saw about 16 ounces of juice come guzzling out of the HONDA bike in big bear this weekend, I cant say they have found the perfect tranny yet.

Stikman
Dirt Magazine

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by stiksandstones
We just got 4th generation GT prototypes in the office. Doesnt really look much like the 1st gen bike in the photo. Lopes will be on one soon as will our other non-racer testers (a bunch of cavemen that just destroy stuff...but actually have a clue about bicycles).
We are really hoping to have it for sale in 05' but I dont think that will happen. We are spending a lot of time with the ID-5 (new i-drive design with 5.5") those are pretty much done, look and ride killer.

After I saw about 16 ounces of juice come guzzling out of the HONDA bike in big bear this weekend, I cant say they have found the perfect tranny yet.

Stikman
Dirt Magazine
This it or similiar:

originally posted by bikemagic.com
Mongoose's offering is called FreeDrive. It'll be available in two platforms - the "all-mountain" Teocali (the one in the pics is obviously set up for dual/BSX racing but it's pitched at the all-day, all-round rider) and the freeride Black Diamond. The Teocali offers 110-130mm of rear travel in a sub-6lb frame. It's intended to run 120-130mm forks. The Black Diamond will be an altogether burlier device, with 150, 170 or 190mm travel options and interchangeable dropouts for conventional 135mm QR hubs or 150mm through-axle units.

For a proto, this one looks pretty together - we expect to see the full range at the shows later this year

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Bulldog
Really? I've never anywhere seen Shimano or anyone else say the Nexus could hold up to real abuse. I've been reading as much on the 8R Sport as I could too, as I'm interested in it for my city bike. Where did you get your mountain-bike-use-OK info?
keep in mind that the hub is being mounted in the frame in this case, so the only real 'abuse' is comming from the high gearing of pedalling a DH bike without any structural forces.

Now mounting it as a rear hub or hammering up a hill with sub 1:1 gearing is another matter....

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by - seb
Remember your left-hand pedal is reverse threaded? There's a reason for that.
Uhuh, now, grab a pedal spanner, put it on your pedal, and hold it flat as if your foot was using it as the pedal. Rotate the cranks forward as if you're pedalling forward, whilst holding the spanner horizontal the whole time... what happens?

So what would happen if you put your cranks on the wrong way, would the pedals fall off? It appears that the cranks are threaded as such so they don't overtighten with pedalling, not so they don't fall off with pedalling. Have you ever not done up a pedal tight enough, and then had it unwind whilst riding? So if we put them around the wrong way, then that wouldn't be an issue, would it ;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by Rik
Uhuh, now, grab a pedal spanner, put it on your pedal, and hold it flat as if your foot was using it as the pedal. Rotate the cranks forward as if you're pedalling forward, whilst holding the spanner horizontal the whole time... what happens?

the bearings in the pedal reverse the torque direction, so the pedals are indeed being 'tightened' while riding.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by Rik
:dead: is my brain, my apologies... I don't understand how that works, and it's too early to think about it, so I'll just accept what you say.
think of the bearing in the pedal as a little gear; when the pedal cage rotates in one direction, the bearing rolls against it rotating in the opposite direction. Thats why the torque is reversed.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Rik
:dead: is my brain, my apologies... I don't understand how that works, and it's too early to think about it, so I'll just accept what you say.
i think i understand... let us consider the right pedal, top part of the spindle as the cranks are rotated forward. between the spindle and the top of the pedal is, for simplicity here, a single ball bearing. as the crank is rotated the pedal turns counterclockwise with respect to the spindle. our hypothetical ball bearing on the top of the spindle also turns counterclockwise. this means the ball bearing's top surface is moving "forward", and its bottom surface is moving "backward." in any case the point is that the opposite side of the ball bearing is exerting a torque opposite of that exerted by the counterclockwise-rotating pedal. that is, the torque on the spindle serves to rotate it clockwise. and that is why pedals are threaded as they are. :D

OddArne

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Trondheim, Norway
Seems like peope prefer tp discuss pedals and threads over gear box bikes :)

I saw the most recent GT proto a couple of weeks ago in their Technical Division office, and you wouldn't believe the difference to the first proto shown on the picture. It has a lot of really sweet details, and it seems like the new ID5 is almost finished, so resources can be put into the GBox to have it finalized for production.

Both the G-Box and ID5 instantly struck me as bikes I really, really want to ride, even more than the Mongoose Teocali shown above. But the Mongoose Black Diamond Freedrive, there is one machine you all should have your eyes set on...

I guess you will start to see leaks of the ID5 soon, while the G-Box probably won't be leaked much before InterBike. I know some guys in Southern California will start test riding the G-Box about now, so who knows...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by OddArne
Seems like peope prefer tp discuss pedals and threads over gear box bikes :)

I saw the most recent GT proto a couple of weeks ago in their Technical Division office, and you wouldn't believe the difference to the first proto shown on the picture. It has a lot of really sweet details, and it seems like the new ID5 is almost finished, so resources can be put into the GBox to have it finalized for production.

Both the G-Box and ID5 instantly struck me as bikes I really, really want to ride, even more than the Mongoose Teocali shown above. But the Mongoose Black Diamond Freedrive, there is one machine you all should have your eyes set on...

I guess you will start to see leaks of the ID5 soon, while the G-Box probably won't be leaked much before InterBike. I know some guys in Southern California will start test riding the G-Box about now, so who knows...
How will they ever get LBS to carry high-end GT or Mongoose in the US? After Pacific bought them, the only place I saw high-end iDrives in a LBS was in New Zealand. They are going to have to get some pretty good incentive programs and marketing people to get LBS and consumers to buy them again. Any ideas on that very important end of the equation?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by syadasti
How will they ever get LBS to carry high-end GT or Mongoose in the US? After Pacific bought them, the only place I saw high-end iDrives in a LBS was in New Zealand. They are going to have to get some pretty good incentive programs and marketing people to get LBS and consumers to buy them again. Any ideas on that very important end of the equation?
well, just because they are designing a new bike doesn't mean that they'll even sell it in the US...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
eh, I guess it's a tough call, limit hub choices to one, or limit crank choices to a few. Still I would rather have a standard hub, it's more likely that I'd have problems with a hub than with a crank.
something your probably forgetting is that the freewheel mechanism is now located in the tranny, not the rear hub. So most likely the sprocket is bolted directly to the hub like the disc, essentially making the rear hub as simple and reliable as a front hub. This could make room for true 20-25mm rear axles too.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Jm_
well, just because they are designing a new bike doesn't mean that they'll even sell it in the US...
I've still seen some of the high end pacific bikes around - just not too many LBS will touch them.

The Schwinn freefall would be an example of a non-US one though...

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by zedro
Thats why the torque is reversed.
I thought it over on my ride to work, and I managed to make sense of it in my head... moral of this story: I should think about balls more often.

Anyway, sorry for my little diversion, but I'll stand where I am in regards to preferring LHD cranks over LHD hubs. But if the freewheel location has changed, well that opens things up I guess... at least they kept the ability to use standard brakes (even if they are reversed)
I'm thinking though, a constantly rotating chain could be fun if it decides to eat trail debris whilst coasting along.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by Rik
I'm thinking though, a constantly rotating chain could be fun if it decides to eat trail debris whilst coasting along.
hmm, that could be fun....maybe a single pulley tensioner for emergency slack could be used...(edit: needs a tensioner anyways, not a concentric pivot...)

...man i really want that Nexus, would love to design a bike around it.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
another stupid proprietary, or one off at the least, hub design. What would it have taken to make it a standard right side drive?
If you turned the nexus hub around and tried to use left side drive to keep pedals from falling off you would find a much bigger problem (unless you enjoy the circus). The bike would only pedal and move backwards.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Originally posted by Rik
Anyway, sorry for my little diversion, but I'll stand where I am in regards to preferring LHD cranks over LHD hubs. But if the freewheel location has changed, well that opens things up I guess... at least they kept the ability to use standard brakes (even if they are reversed)
I don't think they plan to use a constantly rotating chain. I believe a cog is custom bolted to the body of the hub oposite the original drive, a freewheel, like used in bmx is used at the rear.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
Originally posted by TWISTED
If you turned the nexus hub around and tried to use left side drive to keep pedals from falling off you would find a much bigger problem (unless you enjoy the circus). The bike would only pedal and move backwards.
im up for that much more of a challenge going down the hill dont you think?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by TWISTED
Nicolai managed to mount the primary and secondary drive on the right side however.

The LHD and custom hub doesnt bother me that much (hell i like what neat axles sizes you could possibly get), but the right side brake arrangement bothers me slightly as far as caliper orientation.

Maybe the latest version will be tidier...cant wait to see.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by zedro
hmm, that could be fun....maybe a single pulley tensioner for emergency slack could be used...(edit: needs a tensioner anyways, not a concentric pivot...)

...man i really want that Nexus, would love to design a bike around it.
I know this has come up before but a chain tensioner is not always needed just because the bike doesn't have a concentric pivot. It just depends on the amount of chain growth and how they want to tackle it.

Check out the Honda, they don't use a spring loaded tensioner, they just have a pulley hard mounted in the correct place to take up the needed slack in the chain as the swingarm moves through it's travel.

You can also look at any motorcycle out there which won't have a tensioner even though it doesn't have a concentric pivot.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by trialsmasta
Does anyone have any photos of how they actually secure the hub?
I dont have any pics, but Ive ridden one and looked at it up close. They use what is basically a dropout inside that carbon clamshell and then a long bolt to hold it in.

Dave

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
those bikes are kinda neat in concept:

lahar

i saw one in whistler a couple years ago - has a bit of a freaky homebuilt look about it, but i'd bet it'd be a fun ride. talk about low cg & standover! not cheap - about $5k usd frame only.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
Originally posted by dw
I dont have any pics, but Ive ridden one and looked at it up close. They use what is basically a dropout inside that carbon clamshell and then a long bolt to hold it in.

Dave
Whats the deal with the primary and final drive being on the same side of the bike? I figure you could do a brooklyn machine works setup via the disk rotor mounts if you really needed the drive side on the right. seems alot easier to do that unless I'm missing somthing.