Quantcast

GT to have a G-Box bike for 05'

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by trialsmasta
Whats the deal with the primary and final drive being on the same side of the bike? I figure you could do a brooklyn machine works setup via the disk rotor mounts if you really needed the drive side on the right. seems alot easier to do that unless I'm missing somthing.
Basically, they bolt the sprocket to the flange of the rohloff hub and use a 32T cog to drove the rear wheel. The way that the Rohloff hub works, unless you add some serious complexity, right side primary drive is the only way. I designed a left side secondary into the g-boxx standard and the 2013i .

Dave

Nicolai-USA

Chimp
Dec 23, 2001
Long Beach, CA
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Karl will send me two G-Boxx M-Pire's in the next 2-3 months... these are still based off the Rohloff, albeit with some neat mod's and such - also there's an enduro like version planned, much like the Helius FR which will be shown @ Willingen, Germany in a few weekends.

Cant wait to get my hands on one for sure!

I'll shoot pictures the minute I have them!

Originally posted by Nicolai-USA
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Karl will send me two G-Boxx M-Pire's in the next 2-3 months... these are still based off the Rohloff, albeit with some neat mod's and such - also there's an enduro like version planned, much like the Helius FR which will be shown @ Willingen, Germany in a few weekends.

Cant wait to get my hands on one for sure!

I'll shoot pictures the minute I have them!
Hopefully he will also be sending an M-pire my way:DI cant take this waiting, I rather wait through my history glass after eating a Crave case of White Castles, then wait for this frame. Just make it that much better when I get it.

Randy

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I know this has come up before but a chain tensioner is not always needed just because the bike doesn't have a concentric pivot. It just depends on the amount of chain growth and how they want to tackle it.

Check out the Honda, they don't use a spring loaded tensioner, they just have a pulley hard mounted in the correct place to take up the needed slack in the chain as the swingarm moves through it's travel.

You can also look at any motorcycle out there which won't have a tensioner even though it doesn't have a concentric pivot.
I was just going to say that. Taken a step further: As the wheel moves into the travel, the chain needs to be longer. The roller is positioned/sized so that it will be putting less tension on the chain as the wheel moves up.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by zedro
the bearings in the pedal reverse the torque direction, so the pedals are indeed being 'tightened' while riding.
Wow. My head feels like it is going to explode after reading this stuff about threads. Think about it this way: pedals are threaded so that if the bearings seize while riding, the pedal will unthread from the crank, allowing the rider to (theoretically) maintain control. Would you rather find yourself suddenly riding a fixed gear at 40mph, or have enough time to think about the fact that your pedal has started to unthread and coast. The 'rules' apply only wjile the bike is neing pedaled. Its a simple safety thing.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Repack
Wow. My head feels like it is going to explode after reading this stuff about threads. Think about it this way: pedals are threaded so that if the bearings seize while riding, the pedal will unthread from the crank, allowing the rider to (theoretically) maintain control. Would you rather find yourself suddenly riding a fixed gear at 40mph, or have enough time to think about the fact that your pedal has started to unthread and coast. The 'rules' apply only wjile the bike is neing pedaled. Its a simple safety thing.
i think your thinking backwards. When you install a pedal, you can hold the wrench on the pedal and spin the cranks backwards and the pedal will thread in. Now in your scenario it would be like a wrench holding the pedal but spinning the cranks foward; in this case the pedal would indeed unthread....

err i think....

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by zedro
err i think....
Yup, that's the exact mistake I made... I was looking back at my experiences where I did have a pedals bearings seize on me, undoing the pedal (granted it wasn't done up tight enough to start with) and tearing the thread out of my RF Next cranks.