Quantcast

GT5 Challenge - WEEK 1

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Per suggestions, this week is a Rally week ;) Here we go...

For times due by 1/27/2011 @ 11pm: Eiger Nordwand 'W Trail' in the Suzuki SX4 WRC '08
Bonus Race worth 2 points: fastest lap @ Suzuka Circuit East Course in the Fiat 500 F '68

Read below for rules and regulations.

Points--Place--RacerPSN(RMSN)--Wins

0 - 1. VWill (CurbJumper) - 0
0 - 2. deadatbirth (IH8Rice) - 0
0 - 3. sstalder5 (sstalder5) - 0
0 - 4. PhotoNinja30D (Bldr_DH) - 0
0 - 5. shrubberyking. (Toshi) - 0
0 - 6. JeffKill77 (JeffKill) - 0
0 - 7. MdrnDayCtySympny (Matchew) - 0
0 - 8. Burd_Turglar (S.n.a.k.e.) - 0
0 - 9. NC-2Wheel_Rider (JohnBoy) - 0
0 - 10.
0 - 11.
------------------------------

RULES AND REGULATIONS

Gentlemen,

I've been toying with the idea of doing a Gran Turismo Challenge, so I thought I'd go ahead and start one up. I first thought that we should do something along the lines of the Forza3 BTCC Champs, but for the sake of simplicity I'm following the formula that they're using over on SupraForums. So here goes the guidelines:

We'll start out by trying to do this using screen shots. Best bet is to use the Time Trial feature in Arcade Mode using ARCADE ONLY CARS , that way we can keep the cars constant. Feel free to use any driving assists you feel necessary, any tires, etc. Also, when you post your times, indicate those stats, your PSN, and what type of controller you are using (DualShock3 or wheel). Make sure you can tell what track you're on, the car you're in, the lap time and the time/date it was done. I understand you may not be able to get the whole car name or the whole track name in the picture if you want it legible, just make sure you can tell what it is.

Some folks on SF were concerned with using the longer tracks, however I'll include them. I'm going to assume everyone has the full Nurburgring unlocked, as well as the Top Gear Test Track.

I'll try and set it up on Fridays, which should give everyone the weekend and most of the week to get their times in. Times are due Thursday nights by 11pm.

I'll be keeping track of Wins, Place, and Points. Winner of the week will determine the Challenge for the next week, but it must adhere to the rules. Points for the week will be posted by Friday evening, the next Challenge must be submitted by Saturday evening.

1st - 10 pts.
2nd - 8 pts.
3rd - 6 pts.
4th - 5 pts.
5th - 4 pts.
6th - 3 pts.
7th - 2 pts.
8th - 1 pt.

of course this may be modified according to interest and participation.

Please don't clutter this up with chat or questions about GT5, post that in the GT5 Thread. This is strictly for comments and questions about the Challenge. If you plan on participating, please post up that you'll be entering this weeks challenge and then modify that post with a screenshot when you get one.

SO... times are due via screen shot next Thursday by 11pm! If you are unable to post a screen shot on here PM me and I'll help figure out something.

Remember to post a "placeholder" post for the week!

Good luck!

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
PSN - VWill

Here's my placeholder. Take this as an example of how to post times.

*EDIT:

Challenge time:

1:04.948
DFGT wheel (paddles), No assists, ABS - 1, Dirt tires, In-car view

Bonus time:

1:27.224
DFGT wheel (shifter), No assists, ABS - 1, tires - Racing:Medium, In-car view

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
PSN-sstalder5

Dualshock 3, no assists, ABS-1, Dirt tires, In-car view.

Did even moar better. :D 1:06.191

DS3, no assists, ABS-1, Racing-Soft, follow behind view.

This car is painfully slow.. 1:26.656

Last edited:

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
In for updates -- I'll try to turn out some laps for at least some of these challenges when manage to find the time.

Edit: PSN ID: PhotoNinja30D

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
PSN: shrubberyking
Wheel: DFGT (paddles)
Aids: ABS 1, SRF on, Roadside traction loss low, no traction control, no ASM or active steering
Tires: Dirt, obviously

Time: 1:03.494

Aids: Same as above
Tires: Racing Soft
Challenge Time: 1:26.332

Last edited:

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
PSN ID: JeffKill77
Wheel: DFGT (paddles)
Aids: ABS 1
time: 1:04.661

Aids: None (no brakes needed for this POS)
Time: 1:25.349

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My money is on Toshi
As of today your money's on the right horse. If someone edges me I'm going to stick with my times. If someone kills me by more than a second then I'll make another pass at it. :D

Evening update: killed by JeffKill and Matchew! :D heh. I think SRF and anything else not displayed in the screenshot should be fair game, as there's no way to verify that it wasn't used otherwise.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's ultimately up to the group as a whole to come to an agreement, but keep in mind that there is no way to enforce it.
The only way I found to make previous challenges to work would be to pick a model of car and allow any and all mods and driving aids. Otherwise there'd always be a heckler in the crowd: "No way you got this time without XYZ!"

Prior challenge threads:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183035
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187848
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198817

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Seems like the current rules are fine, but I think it makes sense to eliminate "skid recovery force" on an honor system basis. It just isn't any fun to play with it on and who wants to be the fastest at driving a fake car with the invisible hand of god keeping it from sliding around?
Ok, sounds like there's a consensus: no SRF. What about traction reduction at the edge of the track? Tire choices? (Racing: soft on a '68 Fiat is hardly period-correct. :D )

When one decides to go for authenticity it shouldn't be half-assed. :rofl:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Opps guess I missed the deadline! Damn timezones... I should have posted it last night but I was falling asleep at the wheel as it was:)

I don't have a PSN as PS3 is not connected to the net.
ABS: 1
DFGT: Paddles
Time: 1:04.114

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
I'm glad we're all (almost?) on board. Thanks for the participation and input everyone.

YOU HAVE UNTIL 11PM EST TONIGHT TO SUBMIT YOUR TIMES!

I would like to request that everyone goes through the thread and delete your posts that AREN'T your time to make it a little easier on me tonight. JeffKill and myself have already done so.

Thanks again everyone and GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Just to clarify.

Are we sticking with arcade cars only with just TC/ABS/Tire adjustments available in the 'options' menu and not adjustments in the 'settings' menu?
Exactly.

Sorry, I know I asked everyone to clear up their posts but I wanted to respond to this.

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
WE ARE OFFICIALLY CLOSED FOR ENTRIES! THANKS TO ALL RACERS WHO PARTICIPATED!

Results will be up by the morning, winner will be notified and the new Challenge should be up by either tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

:thumb: