Quantcast

GT's new DH bike

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Looks like it will be a bit moar progressive. Weren't the previous ones offered with fat shaft RC4?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't think the previous ones were offered with a fat shaft on purpose. Mine has a non-BV, thin shaft RC4. The one before that had a vanilla RC.

The new one definitely has a more progressive LR, which I think is going to be helpful. Mine feels very linear, which I like at speed, but I'm a lazy fat guy and not a WC racer/woo child. It looks like they also dropped the upper scissor link, and as this is the stiffest bike I've been on, I'm not sure there's a need for it. The swingarm and shock tunnel are massive.

I'm more interested to see what they do with the i-drive. In my mind, it's a bit of an unneccesary complication (though reliable so far) on a bike that you're going to spend most of your time standing on anyways. I'm not sure that GT is ready to let go of the gimmick though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm more interested to see what they do with the i-drive. In my mind, it's a bit of an unneccesary complication (though reliable so far) on a bike that you're going to spend most of your time standing on anyways. I'm not sure that GT is ready to let go of the gimmick though.
i always wondered why the eff they bothered with the i-drive on the DH bikes anyways

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I'm pretty happy to see a company launching a single pivot aluminium dh bike in 2017.

Going to be a refreshing lack of marketing jargon if this is what goes to release.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Going to be a refreshing lack of marketing jargon if this is what goes to release.
LOL, yeah right.

@jonKranked I thought the idrive did something for antisquat/pedaling input. vrock calculated something like 90% AS. I think it's a neat idea in the way that it could effect geometry, but I'll be damned if I can tell the difference. It just feels like a solid bike, it pedals OK, and the geometry is pretty spot on...but again, DH is all about sprint, stand, pump, repeat.