Quantcast

Guerrilla Gravity, badass frame manufacturer in Colorado

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks for the straight no b.s. response! Love it!

Shred on. This is what we know:

- PinkBike is including the company response for broken bikes in the field test, and we have not been asked for a response.
- I know the testing we've done, they're strong.
- Several PB employees hit us up about buying GG frames personally after the field test sessions. Levy was also very stoked on The Smash in his review last year, and at the Revved launch in Texas, he was pretty pumped on the Trail Pistol.

As a side note, they asked for a size 2 Trail Pistol, so I don't think Levy and Kazimer rode it as part of this field test, as they both ride size 3.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
As a side note, they asked for a size 2 Trail Pistol, so I don't think Levy and Kazimer rode it as part of this field test, as they both ride size 3.
It looks like they have someone called Sarah Moore and James Huang doing the "Downcountry" testing... according to their spec sheet they look to be about a Size 2.. James is the resident drop-bar enthusiast and Sarah is the world's worst trivial pursuit player, so I don't expect to see any broken bikes from these two.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
It looks like they have someone called Sarah Moore and James Huang doing the "Downcountry" testing... according to their spec sheet they look to be about a Size 2.. James is the resident drop-bar enthusiast and Sarah is the world's worst trivial pursuit player, so I don't expect to see any broken bikes from these two.
I think you're right, which explains they had a Joplin instead of a Tallboy in the Dumbcountry category also. Neither it nor the TP seem to fit in with the other Derpcountry bikes, and having ridden both as well as the Primer and the Optic the SC and GG will both go toe to toe with at least 2 of the 3 un-broken trailbikes. I'm assuming they based it largely on travel rather than capability.

Hopefully they've got a vertically challenged ripper on both the SC and GG and they're both outstanding trailbikes IMHO, and deserve being served a hot supper on the same trails as the "trail bikes" in the name of science.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The downcountry classification was Pinkbike’s call, not ours. That being said, I think it is kind of funny, as it pokes fun at the overly serious market sub classifications.

They’re mountain bikes, made for riding mountains. Mountains have varying terrain. Just because you prefer shorter travel doesn’t mean you need to ride slow and skip every optional feature.

About the testers: James Huang visited the Shredquarters a few months ago, took a Trail Pistol out for the day and put some thoughts on his instagram page in September, and then also rode it for the PB field test.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
it might be funny, if they weren't trying so hard to use it seriously to make it a thing, and it looks like some brands have decided to run with it, goddamnit

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
it might be funny, if they weren't trying so hard to use it seriously to make it a thing, and it looks like some brands have decided to run with it, goddamnit
Yeah damn them making bikes specced for how people might want to ride. "Downcountry" is actually a pretty decent term for an XC bike that doesn't break if you take it trail riding. If only we could call them "trail bikes" or something.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Yeah damn them making bikes specced for how people might want to ride. "Downcountry" is actually a pretty decent term for an XC bike that doesn't break if you take it trail riding. If only we could call them "trail bikes" or something.
I've got nothing against how they spec'd the bikes, but they're just trail bikes, they didn't need to make up a new descriptor. I mean, the one bike I would've thought was 'downcountry' descent oriented was the Pole, and that couldn't even handle a 2 foot "huck", it's all stupid.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've got nothing against how they spec'd the bikes, but they're just trail bikes, they didn't need to make up a new descriptor. I mean, the one bike I would've thought was 'downcountry' descent oriented was the Pole, and that couldn't even handle a 2 foot "huck", it's all stupid.

BBUT IT WAS A PROTOTYPE!!!11!11!1

Proto-country?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Oh stop

It's dumb as shit and you know it. :rofl:

There are only two types of bikes: push bikes and pedal bikes. They're all downhill bikes. Everything else is (ew, it hurts to even type the word)..."cycling"

agghhh get it off! kill! kill! kill! formaldehyde!!!

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Interesting read this morning...
https://jalopnik.com/the-most-revolutionary-thing-about-the-ford-mustang-she-1839723865

@mtg there are some really familiar sounding excerpts in here. Any similarities to what you guys are doing?

"Traditionally, however, they’re still very labor-intensive to build. This is where companies like Carbon Revolution come in..."

"...Now just as Henry Ford didn’t invent the automobile, Carbon Revolution didn’t invent the carbon wheel. But like Ford, what it is doing is creating a way to automate the build process, making the wheels better and less expensive by doing so."

"“With respect to impact, our wheels run all the same vehicle tests as the metal ones and because of the superior material properties, we can meet the requirements and significantly reduced weights."