Quantcast

Guidance on Getting into XC [again]

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So sorry for this post being somewhat long-winded and not very "specific," but here goes!

Next year I will be at UCSB, and they have a competitive XC team there. While DH has always been (and will probably continue to be) my focus, I would love to get into riding and racing XC. I have always ridden a decent amount of XC, but I've only raced once. While I only own a DH bike now, I miss the feeling of hammering for a couple hours up and down, as opposed to the hike-a-bike sessions on the big bike.

I don't have a ton of money laying around, but working at a shop does have its advantages. I think I want to get a hardtail; FS bikes for XC have always felt too "disconnected" for me, and I'm pretty lanky with a background riding hardtails and BMX, so I think that it is the better option for me at this point. Our shop carries primarily Specialized, so I'm looking at getting a Stumpjumper hardtail. The Comp and the Expert Carbon both catch my eye. Not sure I could justify the extra price on the Expert Carbon, but it sure is a cool bike.

I think that right now, my best option would be to get the Comp, and focus on getting in lots of miles this summer, and then next year start training harder with the team at school. Is it simply a dumb idea these days to buy a hardtail when the full-suspension bikes have gotten so good? Is the "faster" feeling of a hardtail nothing but an illusion? I know that they're good, but like I said, they just don't quite feel right to me a lot of the time.

Anyways, just thought I'd get a second opinion as far as my approach to the sport, and specifically the racing aspect of it. Any other XC noob advice would be appreciated as well! Thanks!

By the way, here's a photo of the bike I'd probably be looking at:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I recommend that bike to all cross-over XC riders. It is a great build, although the price is creeping up now.

Full sus is cool, if you can afford it, but I like the mix-up. I rode down some f-ed up fireroads yesterday on my hardtail, and I had to stay on top of it. I enjoyed it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Especially if cost is a concern, an HT is not a bad way to go. For XC rides I have an FS trailbike and an old Kona Muni Mula. I probably end up riding the Muni Mula more. It's fun even without much suspension (SID XC or rigid) or technology (v-brakes, squre taper cranks, 8 speed) on the fairly rocky and rooty trails here. An HT with a decent fork and tires is just as fast as an FS bike on a lot of terrain. Not sure if others have had the same experience, but I switched from super light 2.0 tires with a small tread to a 2.25/2.15 combo with more tread/lower psi. I didn't really notice the weight difference, but the difference in handling, traction, stability and smoothness is hugely in favor of the bigger tires. Definitely smooths everything out on the trail. Downhills went from being sketchy and nervous to actually being fun (not that sketchy and nervous isn't fun...but I think you get the idea). Just something to consider.

The faster feeling of an HT can be something of an illusion because it gets rougher quicker, which makes it seem faster- same goes for things like narrow tires on road and mountain bikes. But, then again, the fast and snappy feeling of a hardtail can give you a mental advantage too (beyond the physical advantages it might give you here as well). What I like about riding a hardtail is the snap I can get on steep sections and short rises along with the simplicity and lower cost and maintenance.

The spec on the Comp looks really good. There might be a somewhat significant weight difference between that and the Expert, but it is almost twice as much retail- I doubt it's worth that much more to you in either fun-factor or race-ability. I'd say buy the Comp, save your money, work less and ride more.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I'm sponsored by a different bike company, but I will say that Specialized has the best bang for your buck when it comes to midrange bikes. Two team members have fully carbon mtb,...hardtails, but they worry more about crashing them. I ride it like I stole it, so I want durable with consistant working drivetrain,..in any condition,...rocks, roots, mud, sand, deep mud,...you get the picture. I will also state that you must be dedicated to doing either power yoga or a serious core/lower back routine. By the end of the race series,...the non trained HTers all have lower back problems. You don't want to get into the sport just to get out due to injury. Good Luck,...now get out and ride!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Great advice in here so far. I switched from riding a Jekyll to an Orbea race hardtail and LOVED it. I could climb WAY more efficiently and I too am a fan of the larger tires for stability (I run 2.1 UST) so I am willing to add the extra grams of weight. I think the Comp is a great bike for the price too. I wouldn't spend the extra on the Expert because I would likely be more afraid to crash/break something and not have the extra $$$ to fix it.

Jess is right though, do some strength training especially for longer/harder races. My back pain was the only real nagging pain I had when I did my first solo 24. Good luck and do ride it like you stole it.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I couldn't ever go back to a hardtail for xc. I'm a heavy boy that likes my full suspension. The HT's might climb a little bit better until you get in to the bumpy stuff. You can keep your momentum on a FS better than HT. Plus, a FS bike will keep you from getting tired as fast when riding rough trails. I ride DH too. So for me to get a HT XC bike would be crazy. I'd be taking lines that probably would be a little too aggressive for the HT. I weigh 213 right now. I don't think i'll ever go back to a HT for the XC trails around here.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I couldn't ever go back to a hardtail for xc. I'm a heavy boy that likes my full suspension. The HT's might climb a little bit better until you get in to the bumpy stuff. You can keep your momentum on a FS better than HT. Plus, a FS bike will keep you from getting tired as fast when riding rough trails. I ride DH too. So for me to get a HT XC bike would be crazy. I'd be taking lines that probably would be a little too aggressive for the HT. I weigh 213 right now. I don't think i'll ever go back to a HT for the XC trails around here.
Well, a lot of it has to do on where you ride.

For example, the Norcal HS races are pretty easy technically, and a hardtail is fine.

I was going to suggest to the kid to ride the Downieville XC race, but he will probably get smoked on a hardtail. He might be able to ride it, or he can face plant on Pauley Creek:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
No offense but that pic looks much flatter and equally rocky to a lot of the stuff around here I used to ride rigid or on a HT...it just gets old after a bit with the arm pump and such.

Seems like a FS is tough to nail though. An Epic wouldn't help me out that much on the descents except for be a bit softer, a Stumpy would descent well but it's not really all that race-friendly, and Specialized doesn't make anything in between.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Rock the hardtail.

Your young, its cheaper, and a double upgrade in the weight department. Everything else has been pretty well covered.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
You know, if i were lighter i'd ride a HT. But yeah, i think generally most of our trails are a bit rocky. Or maybe i'm just a ninny. I just know that when i'm cruising down some of the xc trails out here, i still hit sections that have no smooth line anywhere and i just think "Man, i'm glad i'm on full suspension".

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I actually raced XC for the UCSB team this year, but as I'm graduating, I won't be around in the fall. All in all, the UCSB mountain team are a great bunch of guys, the conference is fun, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. As far as getting a bike goes, I would ride what you've got until the fall, because team members get a very generous hookup from the campus bike shop, at which I am an employee. Anything from the BTI/KHS/J&B catalog can be had at cost plus 10 percent, and there is a team deal from specialized, but as far as I know it only goes out in November, after the season is already finished. The team captains for this year are Chris Stein (XC) and Zasho Donner (DH). Look them up on our site, www.ucsbcycling.org

I wound up racing on a yellow Santa Cruz Superlight that I got via EP with a Magura Durin fork, Hope brakes, X9 gruppo and some handbuilt wheels by yours truly for a very reasonable price. As of late, I've been getting into framebuilding myself, so I may make a lugged steel hardtail at some point.

Last edited:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cool man, thanks for the info. As an employee at a shop here in Ojai I'm pretty set as far as parts and such go, but good info regardless.

So there IS a DH team?!?! There was no mention of it on the site, but that's great news!

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
i've been looking around for my first xc hardtail as well and think i made up my mind that i want a steel frame, unless something else catches my attention. what are some nice, prefereably inexpensive steel xc frames? i've looked around a bit at the on one's, salsa's and a couple classifieds. any suggestions?

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
yea the handjob was one of my orginal choices, but they are a little more than i want to spend, but it all depends. this is my first xc rig, i want something that i can ride for years and stay classic. i saw a guy riding an old voodoo with oldschool xtr stuff, and it was dope and he was still riding it after all those year. steel is real