Quantcast

Guiness in a bottle.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I heard some people at the ski mountain talking some weird stuff about how it was hard to put guiness in a bottle cus of some gas or somthing :confused: whats this all about cus i didnt really catch the whole conversation. ;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Guiness on draught is poured using nitrogen instead of CO2. That's where the creamy mouthfeel comes from, at the expense of some flavor.

The bottles and cans now have a plastic widget in them that releases nitrogen when the container is opened. That's been around for a while.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Silver said:
Guiness on draught is poured using nitrogen instead of CO2. That's where the creamy mouthfeel comes from, at the expense of some flavor.

The bottles and cans now have a plastic widget in them that releases nitrogen when the container is opened. That's been around for a while.
And it doesn't taste very good. Save your money, buy something that is meant to be in a bottle. Get guiness at a bar with a tap, much better.

The Ito

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think it's an N2/CO2 mix, not 100% N2, but i could be wrong.

i wonder if bars which serve guinness, old speckeled hen, boddington's, etc need to have special safety gear/alarm equipment, as per OSHA, in case there is a leak? on the other hand, CO2 is probably just as good an asphyxiant.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:

i wonder if bars which serve guinness, old speckeled hen, boddington's, etc need to have special safety gear/alarm equipment, as per OSHA, in case there is a leak? on the other hand, CO2 is probably just as good an asphyxiant.

I think nitrogen is the most abundant gas in the atmosphere, like CO2 the only thing dangerous about it is that it will displace oxygen. They need to come out with beer that has nitrous oxide capsules in it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:

Yeah, it's mixed gas. I don't think the bar I usually go to has any alarms, but they do keep all their gasses in a separate, ventilated room.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
by displacing oxygen you mean that if a bottle were to burst, people would suffocate?

im getting like a 1.3 in chemestry... :rolleyes: