Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
There are various dry counties and areas in the West and Alaska, the illegal sales aren't making people rich.
lost in translation: i was implying all the add'l permits as a result of runaway governance & over-regulation we'd have to carry in our wallets would contribute to sciatica

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Gun shows are safe and stuff.

5 shot at gun shows

A hair trigger.
At the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged as its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check at a security entrance, injuring three people, state Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Moments after the accident a ceasefire was called at the range and safety measures went into place.
Hasn't the horse already left the barn?

I had not heard about that. I thought maybe you'd been talking about the explosion that killed dragonmans wife or the guy who got shot out there last summer.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
regardless of the exact details, its a matter of taking a step back and looking at the big picture. people being violent to one another is nothing new.

the bolded part serves to prove my point better than yours. in that there's violence and violent people in all cultures. think of it like doing an RCA (root cause analysis) [edit] This does beg the question, do we have more violence because we have more guns / better access to guns? or does the violence that would occur anyways become more extreme becuase of more guns / better access? how do things like education (where we're notably low in general) and the media factor in? [/edit]
Inequality is a bigger factor in violence than education. There are uneducated peaceful (relatively) societies. I'd really want to see a violent crimes per capita vs inequality index for many countries.

As for guns I don't think they cause violence. But if you have violent thoughts guns are a very effective way of expressing them. Easily the most effective one available to the public.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Inequality is a bigger factor in violence than education. There are uneducated peaceful (relatively) societies. I'd really want to see a violent crimes per capita vs inequality index for many countries.

As for guns I don't think they cause violence. But if you have violent thoughts guns are a very effective way of expressing them. Easily the most effective one available to the public.
Here in America™ inequality = lack of education

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Here in America™ inequality = lack of education
It's more than that. The whole free market, fend for yourself or die economic policy is another reason. I'm not talking about switching to walfare but the system in us is all about a small amount of people getting very rich, not everyone being relatively well off.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stupid meme is stupid
Historical record, not a meme - February 6, 1989. More from Reagan:

Reagan said:
“This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety ... While we recognize that assault-weapon legislation will not stop all assault-weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals.” May 3, 1994
“Certain forms of ammunition have no legitimate sporting, recreational, or self-defense use and thus should be prohibited.” August 28, 1986
“With the right to bear arms comes a great responsibility to use caution and common sense on handgun purchases.” March 29, 1991
“Every year, an average of 9,200 Americans are murdered by handguns, according to Department of Justice statistics. This does not include suicides or the tens of thousands of robberies, rapes and assaults committed with handguns. This level of violence must be stopped.”March 29, 1991
“I think maybe there could be some restrictions that there had to be a certain amount of training taken.”June 21, 1988
“Well, I think there has to be some [gun] control.” November 14, 1988

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He clearly has more coherent thoughts than most of the modern GOP and NRA despite having Alzheimer's back then...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Reagan never would've gotten shot if he'd been surrounded by people with guns.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Good luck protecting a modern nation with small arms. Come back when you realize what century this is...