Quantcast

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I think some where along the years we quit having respect for each other and got a huge sense of entitlement. When things stop going your way and you don't have respect for others is it a short, disgruntled leap to taking your aggression out on others and using guns to do so?

I seriously wonder how many of these mass shooters have played POV shooting video games? Is there a correlation or is it completely unrelated?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
...to think at one time the NRA was all about gun safety and responsible training and use.
Amazing what money will do.

Then again, the 2nd was also more about keeping the slaves in line then protecting the populace against the government.

Both need a serious rethink and re-write. ha ha - as if.:disgust1:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So the NRA is contract killing folks who attend church?
No they're just the enablers who are complacent about it and will use this as an excuse to sell more firearms.

Because as they've taught me well, the only thing that stops a bad guy with a neckbeard is a good guy with a neckbeard.

I mean hey hitler didn't personally bomb London but he made it really possible for methed up psychos to work out some aggression.

Oh shit, I did it again! Sorry John!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You must spread reputation to at least 4 other user(s) before you can give reputation to JohnE again.
...to think at one time the NRA was all about gun safety and responsible training and use.
Amazing what money will do.
The NRA is responsible for the deaths of so many Americans that if it was based in Africa or the middle east, we'd be attacking it with drones. It has been a terrorist organization since the Institute for Legislative Action preformed it's coup of the NRA in 1977.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I guess I have been out of the gun loop so long (you know riding bikes and all) that up until the Vegas deal I didn't even know anything about bump-stops. I mean, from a plinker's perspective the last thing I would want to do is waste a bunch of expensive ammo while decreasing my ability to be accurate. I just don't get it personally. Maybe that is why I don't get this whole argument being the NRA's fault. I'm just out of the loop on this piece of the hate pie.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Your firearm ownership doesn't make you responsible for that violence. It's your complacency in law because of your ownership that makes you partly responsible for not improving the situation however. The two don't have to go hand in hand. There can be a very reasonable disconnect there, especially when it comes to supporting the NRA.

Where they stand on bump stock regulation now? They publicly supported it and now privately oppose it. Yes that's happening. They're fucking assholes who realized years ago that always framing things in terms of your freedom makes them shit tons of money.

So what is it about guns and freedom (serious question)? Do you support a lobbying organization that fights the TSA's right to grab your junk and take your toothpaste? That's kind of an infringement on freedom. But it's only when it comes to guns does that get framed that way. Speed limits.....tax laws........none if it gets framed in terms of infringing on your freedom. That's the NRA at work. Making money for their manufacturers. They don't give a flying fuck about your freedom. They just care about convincing you that that's what it's about. They also don't give a shit about gun safety. Because they make more money by making it easier to buy.
I'm not a fan of the current militant NRA leadership. There is a training component that does have merit. They don't directly respresent manufacturers btw, that's the NSSF, nor they as big/influential as they are portrayed.

I haven't given them money in years, have a lifetime membership my dad signed me up for. He's been dead 20+ years....

The NRA has given up on MA. It's not worth their time so they ignore us. Local grass roots groups do all the legal fighting here.

Bump stocks were just banned in MA, the only state in the country. Lifetime in prison with no grandfathering.

I don't care about those but how it was passed was bullshit. No public review, extremely vague language trying to include how one may upgrade/maintain their guns (not b/s related, things like triggers and polished actions and even lubrication), and tied to state budget. Due to local activists we were able to remove the nonsense before it was signed, but it reinforced the need for oversight of our rights because they are always being attacked for emotional reasons. Their plan is death by 1000 paper cuts here.

Guns aren't some freedumb issue for me. I've always had them and it was part of how I was raised. Having that taken away because of others' actions doesn't sit well though. I don't preach a pro-gun lifestyle or advertise that I shoot in any way. I rarely carry (only when working in sketchy areas) and don't live in fear.

I just want to be left the fuck alone to live a responsible lifestyle.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The Nuremburg defense and/pleading pleading ignorance did not absolve the Nazis of their crimes nor does it absolve NRA members of theirs. You aid and abet the gun lobby via your support of the NRA, and they are directly responsible for the slaughters going on in this country via their looking the other way when lead starts to fly, burying their heads in the piles of money generated by the blood with which our streets area wash with. The NRA is to blame for this. Period. And if you support them, then you share in that blame. Period. Full stop.
Oh, Ok.
Does that mean I can blame every IMBA member for the shitty trails they build?

E: does that also mean that you, as a former military member, are responsible for the abuses at Gitmo and Abu Ghraib? How dare you blow up those wedding parties with your drones! What a heartless bastard you are for continuing to serve at your posh German base while these atrocities ensued for a decade.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
. Due to local activists we were able to remove the nonsense before it was signed, but it reinforced the need for oversight of our rights because they are always being attacked for emotional reasons. Their plan is death by 1000 paper cuts here.

Guns aren't some freedumb issue for me..
Those two sentences seem a bit contradictory to me.

I've always had them and it was part of how I was raised. Having that taken away because of others' actions doesn't sit well though. I don't preach a pro-gun lifestyle or advertise that I shoot in any way. I rarely carry (only when working in sketchy areas) and don't live in fear.

I just want to be left the fuck alone to live a responsible lifestyle.

I still technically own an m14, a little shitty .22 rifle and a luger, sitting in my dad's gun safe which has gotten ridiculous. I was raised with them too. I was also raised with some remnants of Jim Crow laws but hey that doesn't mean we can't do better in a changing world. Gun culture also wasn't what it is today when you and I grew up. Shit's weird now. Because someone realized they could capitalize on it.

You've just demonstrated (again) how you somehow see guns in a different light. You have seatbelts because other people died. You have non-pull tab beer because people got cut and littered. You have stoplights because some prick can't look both ways or yield. You can't buy fireworks because some douche blew up the neighbor cat's butthole. It most places you can't get booze at 4am because people can't even drink responsibly. But none of these things do you connect with your personal freedom, limited in some way because of the actions of others.......but with guns you feel the need to take a stand. Why is that?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Those two sentences seem a bit contradictory to me.

I still technically own an m14, a little shitty .22 rifle and a luger, sitting in my dad's gun safe which has gotten ridiculous. I was raised with them too. I was also raised with some remnants of Jim Crow laws but hey that doesn't mean we can't do better in a changing world. Gun culture also wasn't what it is today when you and I grew up. Shit's weird now. Because someone realized they could capitalize on it.

You've just demonstrated (again) how you somehow see guns in a different light. You have seatbelts because other people died. You have non-pull tab beer because people got cut and littered. You have stoplights because some prick can't look both ways or yield. You can't buy fireworks because some douche blew up the neighbor cat's butthole. It most places you can't get booze at 4am because people can't even drink responsibly. But none of these things do you connect with your personal freedom, limited in some way because of the actions of others.......but with guns you feel the need to take a stand. Why is that?
I'll buy your m14.

Stores being closed late night doesn't prevent my ability to own or possess beer. I don't have to wear a seatbelt if I'm prepared to pay a fine or die. Nobody in MA pays attention to traffic laws. I can't posses fireworks at all in MA. I always opt for TSA manual searches to slow down the line and make the power drunk tool grab my balls before asking him "was it good for you too?"

I don't see myself taking a stand on guns. You won't find me at the Statehouse with a Black Rifles Matter sign even though I own an ar.

The state of MA has subjected me to the strictest gun laws in the nation, which I dutifully comply with. I've stated I would support those laws going national in an effort to maintain my right to own firearms.

I could say fuck it and move to my place in Maine and live without any of the BS. Maybe I will once the kids move out but in the meantime I'm not going to blindly allow my rights to be continuously eroded when they are already plenty regulated.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The state of MA has subjected me to the strictest gun laws in the nation, which I dutifully comply with. I've stated I would support those laws going national in an effort to maintain my right to own firearms. .
Cool so we're on the same page at least. The NRA fights this tooth and nail however, which is why you caught a little flak here (see what I did there?)

And you can certainly possess fireworks, just need to drive to the Carolinas. You just mentioned all the other laws you ignore, why is that one different? That's also why individual state gun laws don't work either ;)

in the meantime I'm not going to blindly allow my rights to be continuously eroded when they are already plenty regulated.
Again though, you seem to only bring this up when it comes to guns. What about wilderness areas? Are you as vocal bout that, speaking with the same sorts of language about your rights? To me riding bikes is way more radderer than shooting. Would you really move states just because of gun laws though?

Let me check on the m14. See what it takes to take a private party sale in MA. It's in florida, where sanity lives.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Cool so we're on the same page at least. The NRA fights this tooth and nail however, which is why you caught a little flak here (see what I did there?)

And you can certainly possess fireworks, just need to drive to the Carolinas. You just mentioned all the other laws you ignore, why is that one different? That's also why individual state gun laws don't work either ;)

Again though, you seem to only bring this up when it comes to guns. What about wilderness areas? Are you as vocal bout that, speaking with the same sorts of language about your rights? To me riding bikes is way more radderer than shooting. Would you really move states just because of gun laws though?

Let me check on the m14. See what it takes to take a private party sale in MA. It's in florida, where sanity lives.
I expected the NRA flak but it is what it is.
I can get fireworks 30miles away in NH or ME but good luck getting them back here. Was pulled over this summer after a ride because my truck "was seen leaving an exit that had several fireworks stores." And a gas station, which I why I was there.

I'm vocal about a lot of things. I've got a reputation for beaching my boat on 'private' beaches because the coast belongs to all citizens of this state not just those who can afford ocean front property. Same goes for national/state parks and wilderness areas (though I also poach trails in them). I refused consent to search when the statie pulled me over for the the fireworks bs because I'd done nothing wrong. I will not eat green peppers.

Agreed on riding being cooler by far, shooting is just my other hobby. Riding with my sons is my favorite thing though shooting gets them off the screens too.

No I wouldn't move states just for gun laws. I know people who have (NH), but that would just be a perk for getting away from civilization.

We'd just need to have FFLs (dealers) ship the rifle between each other. So easy even a deranged lunatic could do it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
E: does that also mean that you, as a former military member, are responsible for the abuses at Gitmo and Abu Ghraib? How dare you blow up those wedding parties with your drones! What a heartless bastard you are for continuing to serve at your posh German base while these atrocities ensued for a decade.
Well, yes. The acts committed by our military in the name of alleged freedom weigh heavily on my mind and are a cross I will bear to my dieing day. I once was proud of the things we did, but once I realized the truthful motives behind almost every military action this country has taken in its entire history, I became ashamed and saddened. Also was mad at myself for years and it has taken much therapy, liquid and professional, to get me over my guilt at being a part of such shenanigans.

Btw, I am not in Germany anymore. Keep up, willya?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I think some where along the years we quit having respect for each other and got a huge sense of entitlement. When things stop going your way and you don't have respect for others is it a short, disgruntled leap to taking your aggression out on others and using guns to do so?

I seriously wonder how many of these mass shooters have played POV shooting video games? Is there a correlation or is it completely unrelated?
Valid points and I have wondered the same thing about those stupid games...dehumanizing the violence, allowing re-spawning and endless lives within the safety and sanctity of your own living room, followed by a good jerk off session...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I read somewhere ( no idea where anymore ) some years ago, that the military loved the video games.
Seems like they did a good part of the dehumanizing and reaction training for them.
No idea if, but sounds legit, on both military interest and their conclusions.

I know my own kid recognizes small variations in weaponry, model xyz not yyz, geez dad, don't you now anything?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I read somewhere ( no idea where anymore ) some years ago, that the military loved the video games.
Seems like they did a good part of the dehumanizing and reaction training for them.
You don't live in the states so likely don't see this stuff. But long about gulf war 2, the sequel, half the recruitment ads on television and the innernetz were directly targeting gamers. They still do.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You don't live in the states so likely don't see this stuff. But long about gulf war 2, the sequel, half the recruitment ads on television and the innernetz were directly targeting gamers. They still do.
For fucks sake :banghead:

Lemme guess...
- Starts with a greasy kid sitting in his basement with full game rig slowly morphing into a patriot sitting at a station flying a drone; all backed up by rousing music, flags and eagles and shit... :disgust1:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

I know my own kid recognizes small variations in weaponry, model xyz not yyz, geez dad, don't you now anything?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Army

:rofl: Only problem is a lot of kids that are gamers can't do 2 push ups. Or at least that was the experience when I got out and was getting worse.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm just as disgusted as you by the violence in this country, gun or otherwise. I won't, however, subscribe to the belief that my firearm ownership makes me responsible for that violence.
Statistically, it does.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Some interesting facts for the 'gun owners are murderers' crowd. Texas conviction rates for CCW permit owners versus general population.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Three of the biggest conviction rates are child sex offenses...interesting. My biggest ? is why publish something this specific? Seems as if they are trying to justify something. Publishing crime stats is a public service, but to pigeonhole it is such a way seems biased. Almost like publishing crimes stats involving illegal aliens.

Shithead from the church shooting would not even have had a gun if some AF/OSI agent at Holloman had done their fucking job.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you gave a "launch nuclear missiles" button to every man women and child in this country, do you think some of them would press it?
Pretty much. Lots of CGI and eagles. Ends with fuckwit ripped, in fatigues and wearing a helmet.

Starts off with all kinds of weird first person shooter imagery.
So basically Halo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Some interesting facts for the 'gun owners are murderers' crowd. Texas conviction rates for CCW permit owners versus general population.
Ok, but how are they guilty of unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have a number of decidedly pro-gun friends (on both sides of the spectrum) who support this. one, who tends to lean to the right, started supporting it after he personally witness someone trying to buy a guy get arrested. the guy failed a background check because he had an outstanding warrant.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
right now i'd be happy with some incremental improvements. let's start with shoring up the background check process and close the trade show loophole.
Would you trade national CCW reciprocity for it? Abolishment of state specific regulations in favor of national laws (magazine capacity, silencers etc?)

We're at zero compromise on both sides currently so something's got to give in both directions.