Quantcast

Gusset 1-ER Single Speed Conversion

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Is anyone or has anyone used one of these?

Right now my rear hub is seriously ghettorigged with bunch of cogs and spacers and I'd love to clean it up a bit.

Hell I'm even considering using one of these things on my Mavic 317 wheelset but I'd like to know how well they fit and work first.

Also, I just switched to a 34t Spot chainring up front - what would be a better combination 34/18 or 34/16?? I think right now I have a really old 18 cog on the wheel but I'm having a biotch of a time getting the proper chain length to achieve the correct tension - it either seems too tight and pulls the wheel from the horizontal drops a bit or too slack and it won't stay on the cogs well. :help:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
See - here is what my current rear hub looks like - pretty ugly.

It definitely could use some cleaning up don't ya think?

so in order to do this I'll need to buy a cassette lockring loosening/tightening tool and a chainwhip correct?

dropkick

Chimp
Jul 3, 2004
Colorado
It works pretty well if you use the cogs that come with the kit but if you use a cog with a wider base you might have to grind the spacers down a bit.

For the wheel sliding forward - I'd ditch the QR and switch to a bolt-on axle or get a chain-tug...or both. You can also get QR skewers with alloy faces that are supposed to hold better than alum faces but I haven't tried any.

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
personally, I just run cassette spacers a la wooglin, and were those not available, would use a saw and a guide on some pvc piping.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah I think I'll just use the spacers - this is ghettorigged after all so I might as well go full out - Wooglin's looks a lot better than mine though. :(

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
MMcG said:
Yeah I think I'll just use the spacers - this is ghettorigged after all so I might as well go full out - Wooglin's looks a lot better than mine though. :(
I'm thinking of alternating purple anodized spacers in on my other bike. Now that will look cool! ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i use the gusset setup on my evil w/a two year old xt hub. i am contemplating going to the nashbar cassette ss hub since i have to get the wheel laced up with a fresh rim anyway, and the hub is $60...

paulbug

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
California
I got one of those gusset things a while ago, and have used it from day one. Works great, but if I had to do it over, I'd have ghottorigged my giant with spacers and whatever, just to save moola. They say, though, that the gusset deal clamps down on the cog really well, esp. if you run an 18, and keeps it from flexing side to side. Why would the cog flex from side to side anyway, mewonders? Anyway, the thing works like a champ, you just have to spend the $30 or so. I had a 32-18 for a while, and then had 36-16, which was too big a jump, so now I'm at 34-18, and it's great. But I'm fairly new, so if you're strong, go 34-16.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
purple ano! that would rock - how about alternating between purple and pink wooglin! ;)
Had alternating ano blue & silver on the Fetish, Mark.
SRP sells the blue for about a buck 25 each.
Mix those up with what you have for some pizzazz!

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I'd stick with the spacer setup. The conversion only allows you 2 chainline options, and you shouldn't be flexing the cog unless your chainline isn't straight. As far as getting your wheel to stay in the dropouts, try using a Shimano QR. Doesn't have to be XTR, Deore works just as well. I've used them for over a year on SS's and fixie's and have never had a wheel come out on me.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Mark, it seems like everyone has said it, but I'd stick with what you have. That King cog on there is way beefier than what comes with the gusset-thingy. Check your LBS. Mine had silver cassette spacers in 1, 2, and 4mm for pretty cheap. Alternate them with the yellow spacers you have and voila! Ghettofabulous.

The pic looks like it has a tensioner, but you said it's horizontal drops....what gives?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
BikeGeek said:
Mark, it seems like everyone has said it, but I'd stick with what you have. That King cog on there is way beefier than what comes with the gusset-thingy. Check your LBS. Mine had silver cassette spacers in 1, 2, and 4mm for pretty cheap. Alternate them with the yellow spacers you have and voila! Ghettofabulous.

The pic looks like it has a tensioner, but you said it's horizontal drops....what gives?
Nope doesn't have horizontal drops - has vertical drops and that ghettorigged MRP roller as a tensioner.

And like I said in other posts I've got the chain too short to work with a 34T chainring and whatever sized cog it's set up with in the rear (I think it is an 18T cog) but when I added a link it was too slack. :(

I just suck at wrenching I think. I think I need some experienced bike mechanic assistance.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Some things to keep in mind: Adding or subtracting a link in the chain will move the axle 1/2 inch; changing either sprocket size by one tooth is the equivalent of moving the axle 1/8th inch. Don't be afraid to run the chain a little loose. Too tight and you run the risk of damage to the chain or rings when the chain hits the natural "tight spot" that most every bike has. Check your LBS for half links if you're set on trying to go without the tensioner.

It may be impossible to go without a tensioner. The only ghettorigged tenisoner I've ever had work properly was an old rear deraileur. Not as sexy as a real tensioner, but it does the job just fine.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i didn't like the 1'er too much. using it gave my Imperial a horrible chainline. made the mistake of putting it on a King (alu freehub body) and...well, that was just a bad idea.