Quantcast

Guy killed at DV...

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i have to agree with Vicious, but i dont want to start a big conflict

regardless of whether this man was at fault, wearing crummy gear or riding an old bike.... WHATEVER- he was a fellow rider and he will be missed by both people who rode with him and people who never knew him
Thanks for the update. Looks like Darwin strikes again...
and thats just rude and uncalled for... im not trying to diss on you man, but it just seems a little harsh given the circumstances

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ffonsok said:
i have to agree with Vicious, but i dont want to start a big conflict

regardless of whether this man was at fault, wearing crummy gear or riding an old bike.... WHATEVER- he was a fellow rider and he will be missed by both people who rode with him and people who never knew him

and thats just rude and uncalled for... im not trying to diss on you man, but it just seems a little harsh given the circumstances
You're probably right.

But what is the polite thing to say about someone who was not in the physical condition, possess the skill level or equipment to ride a double black diamond trail?

Probably nothing at all.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
sanjuro said:
You're probably right.

But what is the polite thing to say about someone who was not in the physical condition, possess the skill level or equipment to ride a double black diamond trail?

Probably nothing at all.
How about Rest in Peace and Our thoughts and prayers are with His family and friends.

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
My condolences to his family and friends.

We as riders understand the risks involved in our sport, mountain biking in general, for those of us who choose to push faster, higher, and steeper the possibility of injury obviously increases regardless of how good the rider is. Accidents happen, to offset the possibility of injury we wear armor, DOT helmets, some wear wrist wraps, etc. These additions to our physical person allow us a degree of depending on your view, either stupidity or courage.

The tragedy that occurred at Deer Valley can be replayed over and over. It could have been avoided, would never had happened if, should have not happened, his knowledge and experience effect the outcome, somewhat, but not entirely. I’ve ridden DV for the last 4 years, it could have happened to me or anyone else I know, a dark thought but it is true. How many times have you seen someone riding above their head on any trail. Enjoying the day, feeling the flow on the trail, getting tired or just coming too hot into a corner that you know and you find a new rock in the trail. Accidents happen, they hurt, and as shown here sometimes they have the ability to kill. I am not attempting to flame anyone this is not the forum for that, just my .02.

JK

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sanjuro said:
You're probably right.

Probably nothing at all.

i'm starting to say, "go home" on the trails i manage.
none are easy and all are designed for expert thru pro level skills.
the amount of riders coming up here in total denial of their true skill level is astounding. and if it continues, it's only a matter of time before we have to drag someone out too.

i'm sure it's happening at every downhill trail system.
and holding everyones hand and guiding them down a trail that matches there true ability, is an impossible task.

and when i first read this story, i figured that there was a 95% chance that this was the case here too.

like we all know.
there's a risk/reward in what we do.
but i'm seeing lots of riders taking a greater risk than they know how to deal with.
and they get no reward back for it, because they're not riding the trail properly to get the most enjoyment out of it.

it's a big problem that i see no easy answer for.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I agree - it is a problem. Most people - beginner to pro - can be on a trail, see something ahead and instantly recognize "hey, that looks over my head" and stop/walk/find a go-around/etc. (Once upon a time, before I had a DH bike/armor, I went down Thieves on an XC bike... walked the whole damn thing after the first 50 feet...) Sure, we all push our comfort zone to try and progress, and occasionally find out the hard way what the limits of our skills are, but there are a few that seem to be missing that normal sense of self-awareness and self-preservation.

We went out with a guy who we've skied with but had never ridden with before. 30 seconds into riding, he saw a jump, hit it as fast as he could pedal, landed on his head and broke his collarbone. He's in his 50s, and like the guy in the article, has had neck surgery before. You'd think he'd know better than hitting a kicker when you don't even know what's on the other side - at full speed no less... and in XC gear.

The other time we saw him out riding (collarbone not healed yet) he declared how he LOVES technical switchbacks - never saw one he thought was difficult. Get out on the trail and he endoed on the first switchback, the second switchback and the third switchback, and when he was too dizzy to get back on the bike, walked the rest of the way down the mountain.

Now I just get to hear tales of "You wouldn't believe it - I was out riding alone and woke up laying in the middle of the trail with my helmet cracked in half! I don't even know what happened or how long I was out!" Oh don't worry, I believe it. I just don't know what to do about it to get you to come to your senses and ride even close to within your abilities.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Very sad news indeed.

My condolences to his family and friends... 51 is too damn young to pass on reguardless of whether or not you love what you are doing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
altagirl said:
I agree - it is a problem. Most people - beginner to pro - can be on a trail, see something ahead and instantly recognize "hey, that looks over my head" and stop/walk/find a go-around/etc. (Once upon a time, before I had a DH bike/armor, I went down Thieves on an XC bike... walked the whole damn thing after the first 50 feet...) Sure, we all push our comfort zone to try and progress, and occasionally find out the hard way what the limits of our skills are, but there are a few that seem to be missing that normal sense of self-awareness and self-preservation.

We went out with a guy who we've skied with but had never ridden with before. 30 seconds into riding, he saw a jump, hit it as fast as he could pedal, landed on his head and broke his collarbone. He's in his 50s, and like the guy in the article, has had neck surgery before. You'd think he'd know better than hitting a kicker when you don't even know what's on the other side - at full speed no less... and in XC gear.

The other time we saw him out riding (collarbone not healed yet) he declared how he LOVES technical switchbacks - never saw one he thought was difficult. Get out on the trail and he endoed on the first switchback, the second switchback and the third switchback, and when he was too dizzy to get back on the bike, walked the rest of the way down the mountain.

Now I just get to hear tales of "You wouldn't believe it - I was out riding alone and woke up laying in the middle of the trail with my helmet cracked in half! I don't even know what happened or how long I was out!" Oh don't worry, I believe it. I just don't know what to do about it to get you to come to your senses and ride even close to within your abilities.
The first time I rode downhill, at Northstar, I walked a lot of it, and I was wearing a full face, pressure suit, and on a downhill bike.

Maybe because I have crashed hard before is why I knew what my limits were.