Quantcast

Gym Music

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have noticed as of late that the music played at the gym is always in the 1960's genre. The sizeable majority of people in my town weren't even born in the 1960's.

Wikipedia said:
The distribution of the population by age was 32.0% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.6% who were 65 years of age or older.
Even if you factor out the sub-25 group, the majority of the people who use the gym (I rarely see pensioners) are under 45.

At what point does the music move more towards the generation of the majority of users (minors don't count, as they don't pay for it). Realistically, it should be in the 70-80's range at the oldest.

Thoughts?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
No. Gym for the HOA (which happens to be our entire city), so the demographics posted above are applicable.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
here's a crazy thought. have you asked if you could change the station?
I asked about it one day and was told that management feels that it's most appropriate for the majority of people. I countered with where are they pulling that stat from, as most people in the gym are younger, and was then told "that's just how it is" is a very snarky manner.

I don't listen to the music beyond walking to the locker before jumping in the pool, so it's a moot point, but I've always wondered. What's interesting is that over on the running track, the music is modern and the kind of pace that allows for easy running.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Children of Bodom and Lamb of God get the most rotations on my playlist.

I can understand management wanting to play it safe. I wouldn't want to listen to their choice, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I asked about it one day and was told that management feels that it's most appropriate for the majority of people. I countered with where are they pulling that stat from, as most people in the gym are younger, and was then told "that's just how it is" is a very snarky manner.

I don't listen to the music beyond walking to the locker before jumping in the pool, so it's a moot point, but I've always wondered. What's interesting is that over on the running track, the music is modern and the kind of pace that allows for easy running.
well you should write a letter to The Management™ and tell them how you really feel.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
sounds like stoney needs a heated lap pool in the backyard....