Quantcast

Hadley & EX823 spoke length?

Nov 16, 2007
I've searched and I seem to be getting different ERD's for the EX823...

Does anyone definitively know what spoke length would be needed for Hadley hubs (20mm front, 12x135mm rear) laced to Mavis EX823's?

Because I keep finding different ERD's listed for the EX823's (anywhere from 528-532mm), my calculations are coming up with anywhere from a 253-256mm spoke length.
Would 256mm work? I'd LOVE to use the blue Loaded spokes but it seems the shortest they have listed is 256mm
What have you guys used for this popular wheel build?

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
Best answer if you are unsure or not able to figure this out yourself is to get your LBS to do it for you....

What size nipple are you doing your calculations with?

You should be fine with ordering 252 or 254. which ever you want really. You can run same spoke for both wheels.

I don't recall seeing 253 by DT or Sapim

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I've searched and I seem to be getting different ERD's for the EX823...

Does anyone definitively know what spoke length would be needed for Hadley hubs (20mm front, 12x135mm rear) laced to Mavis EX823's?

Because I keep finding different ERD's listed for the EX823's (anywhere from 528-532mm), my calculations are coming up with anywhere from a 253-256mm spoke length.
Would 256mm work? I'd LOVE to use the blue Loaded spokes but it seems the shortest they have listed is 256mm
What have you guys used for this popular wheel build?

I have posted this a few times here..so here it is again.

Mavic does NOT use ERD. They use their own made up measurement that they call spoke support diameter. This is the diameter to the outer edge of the rim eyelet. ERD is the diameter to the outter edge of the nipples (where the spoke emerges in the rim bed).

To get ERD, you add two nipple head thicknesses to SSD. THe SSD of the current 823 is exactly 528mm (per Mavic tech documents/web). Nipple heads are about 2mm thick. 528 + 2 +2 = 532mm

Mavic recomends 16mm nipples for this rim. DT 16mm nipples will not allow the spoke to thread all the way through the nipple, so they require a ~2mm shorter spoke (the DT calculator does this for you).