Quantcast

Hadley or King?

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
I am stuck between the two.

I'm not sure on pricing differences for EP but it shouldnt be a lot.
I'd like a hub that isn't black.

King will have silver, pewter, and navy for me to choose from.
I'm not sure what choice I'll have with Hadley, but if I can, I'll get gold.

I think King is a little lighter, and more engagements, but Hadley will probably be barely cheaper and burlier.

I want these hubs to last me forever. Initially they will be used on a street/DJ bike though. Can either one of the front hubs be converted between 20mm and 9mm?

Let me know your thoughts about them.

Thanks
Nick

11:11

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
and you can convert front hadley 20mm hub to QR
they are selling the end cups for $30-35 ish

hope this helps

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I'm in the same boat as you. The EP price is a little less with the Hadley for the set up that I want, but it's only got a 3 year warranty. King has five but they say they won't warranty against trials use where as hadley does. So I'm thinking hmmm 3 years of trials use thats pretty damn good, or me calling up king and them being like, dude we can tell you rode trials with this and having to shell out $$$$$. Funny thing is a ton of top trials riders all use King hubs. Hans Rey, Leech, you name it they got um. I think right now because of the price, engagement points and warranty I might be leaning towards the Hadley. Who knows next week I might have changed my mind.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
joel hester said:
hadley has a option for a 108pt engagement. that more than a king right?
No I believe that king has a 116 point engagement, out of the box they do feel similar, in your hands, both hubs will last forever, I have Hadleys hubs for the bikes with through axles front and rear, and rear King hubs on anything with QR. :thumb: Both sets are amazing, but if you are running a rear through axle then Hadley is the only way to go.....better than Hugi, Dimension, WTB, Woodman, etc. :D

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
im in the same boat....actually checked on an order today....

im going with the stealth rear hub.... ever felt one of those? its a one way bearing that has true instant engagement... even quicker than king or hadley...

i have kings on mybmx bike and love them....ive ridden hadleys on mtbikes (the trials option) and they kick ass...

king is out of bolt on hubs right now.... hadley they come in in a week... im waiting a month for the stealth...and its worth it....

but any of those hubs are approxiamtely the same weight, engagement, and price

crashnscar

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Mt. View, CA
BikeFan84 said:
No I believe that king has a 116 point engagement, out of the box they do feel similar, in your hands, both hubs will last forever, I have Hadleys hubs for the bikes with through axles front and rear, and rear King hubs on anything with QR. :thumb: Both sets are amazing, but if you are running a rear through axle then Hadley is the only way to go.....better than Hugi, Dimension, WTB, Woodman, etc. :D
Newp, 72 engagement points.
Hadley is 36 I believe but 108 if you get the 'trials' option.

This will be QR rear and maybe front too but I'm not sure yet.

I'm leaning alot towards the Hadleys because of the convertability (rear can be QR or T-A, front can be QR or 20mm) since I will want to keep these forever. We'll see....

trialsmasta, Can you PM me how much cheaper the Hadley you will be getting is compared to a King ISO disc? Also the options you are getting? (Not how much it is, but how much less it is)

Thanks for the input.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
crashnscar said:
True, but the chances are I won't be letting the extra cash go for that option.
Well then if engagement is important there is no debate between King and stock Hadley. Hadley engagement is garbage, big lag, no better than Shimano. The converson options are nice, so you need to decide what your priorities are first. And yes I've owned all 3 so I speak from actual direct experience.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Hadley trials freehub option did not cost any extra from go-ride and the engagement rivals king. 10mm thru-axel is the way to go if you have standard QR drops. what i described is about $265

the axel actually weighs less than a DT skewer

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Well beware some of those things are quite loud.

A little noise is cool of course. But, realistically I think most people find that buzzzzzzz noise is excessive.

Anyone know which is quieter ? Maybe its the Hadley's w/ less engagement ?

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
binary visions said:
Nope, and they've been vaporware for years now.

what is vaporware?

and speaking with trueprecision, the mountainbike version will be shipped in a month... the bmx ones are shipping again already... a friend just got two sets in

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Weaver said:
what is vaporware?

and speaking with trueprecision, the mountainbike version will be shipped in a month... the bmx ones are shipping again already... a friend just got two sets in
Vaporware is a term that was coined in the computer industry for software that is promised but never appears. It's sort of spread to become a universal term for anything that gets promised and promised and promised but never actually gets made/shipped.

I would be really impressed if the mountain bike hubs actually ship in a month - they've been saying "next month" for a couple years now. I'd be really psyched to try out a set of those hubs.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
binary visions said:
Vaporware is a term that was coined in the computer industry for software that is promised but never appears. It's sort of spread to become a universal term for anything that gets promised and promised and promised but never actually gets made/shipped.

I would be really impressed if the mountain bike hubs actually ship in a month - they've been saying "next month" for a couple years now. I'd be really psyched to try out a set of those hubs.

ah.

well the bmx ones werent available for a while either but are now, so im hoping that my mtbike one will actually be in then.... i run kings on my bmx, but love the feel of the stealths so choices for my 4X bike are 1) stealth 2)king 3)hadley

kings arent available till the beginning of the year (through king with the bolt ons) so i figure if the stealth isnt ready in a month i will wait till the beginning of the year and get the kings... or grow impatient and order them and the conversion kit too and spend too much money

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
go with hadley. their hub may "only" have a 3 year warrenty but you just will never need to use it. like other people said with the trials option the hadley has 108 point of enagement. they are a little heavier stock. the thing abou the kings i don't like is that you will have the get the steel cass body and the "super duper" axle to make as strong. then the king is a fair amount more expensive.

remember SUPER T uses hadleys and expoldes the wheel but the hub is still fine

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
gmac said:
Anyone know which is quieter ? Maybe its the Hadley's w/ less engagement ?
even the 108 engagement point hadley will be quieter than the CK 72 pt, since the CK design has all 72 teeth engage at the same time (its designed like a cars clutch plate but with teeth, whereas the Hadley uses a fairly standard pawl design, which is similar in concept to a cars drum brake).

Dump a bunch of oil in a Hadley, and you'll wonder if the thing clicks at all.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zedro said:
depens on the amount and design of the pawls....(sorry, no absolutes allowed)

but its pretty hard to beat the ringdrive concept.
Right, but generally speaking, the standard pawl design doesn't have as strong an engagement as the ring drive design. It has nothing to do with the number of engagement points, which is what I think he was asking. It just has to do with the fact that on a pawl design, only a few teeth engage, and on the ring drive design, they all engage at once.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
binary visions said:
Right, but generally speaking, the standard pawl design doesn't have as strong an engagement as the ring drive design. It has nothing to do with the number of engagement points, which is what I think he was asking. It just has to do with the fact that on a pawl design, only a few teeth engage, and on the ring drive design, they all engage at once.
isnt that what i said?

the exeption is pawls bigger than a gerbil....

pretty academic tho is both are strong enough regardless tho

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zedro said:
isnt that what i said?
Hm. No. :p

Might have been what you were thinking but re-reading your post, I didn't get that out of it. Was just making the point that the number of engagement points isn't what makes a hub strong or not (since Inbred was asking if a Hadley with the same number of engagement points as a CK would be the same strength).

the exeption is pawls bigger than a gerbil....
An African or a European gerbil?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
binary visions said:
Hm. No. :p

Might have been what you were thinking but re-reading your post, I didn't get that out of it. Was just making the point that the number of engagement points isn't what makes a hub strong or not (since Inbred was asking if a Hadley with the same number of engagement points as a CK would be the same strength).

An African or a European gerbil?
zedro said:
depens on the amount and design of the pawls....(sorry, no absolutes allowed)

but its pretty hard to beat the ringdrive concept.
never said number of engament pts, but rather the number of pawls, their design, etc. Not saying there is a pawl design that rivals the RingDrive, just saying there theoretically could be depending on both specific designs, but the RingDrive concept is tops.

and that would be african, only cus they're cuter...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
zedro said:
never said number of engament pts, but rather the number of pawls, their design, etc. Not saying there is a pawl design that rivals the RingDrive, just saying there theoretically could be depending on both specific designs, but the RingDrive concept is tops.
Ah, I see where the confusion is. I know what you were saying (that in theory a pawl system could be designed to be as strong as the RingDrive), I was just clarifying that a noraml pawl system ISN'T as strong, to ensure that Inbred's question got answered.

But yeah, as you said, pretty academic considering there aren't exactly a ton of hubs kicking around with thoroughly destroyed pawl systems.

Still would like to see one of these Stealth hubs...

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
binary visions said:
Still would like to see one of these Stealth hubs...

the bmx ones are a thing of beauty... hence me wanting them so bad for my mtbike...

ive decided to order the hadley trials option... and run that until the stealth comes available....

that rb design looks interesting...

J

JRB

narlus said:
the one shining instance of vaporware is the chris king bottom bracket...when was that first rumored, '96 or so?

I wonder if they will jump on and ride the X-type wave. They dug in for the zero stack headsets, even if most frames can't use them due to the deep cups.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
i have seen pics of the chris king bb....

and thank you binary... for enlightening me... ive used it everyday since you taught me well obie one

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
we've all seen pics of the CK BB. just haven't seen any hint that King might consider thinking about pondering maybe making them.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
the Inbred said:
we've all seen pics of the CK BB. just haven't seen any hint that King might consider thinking about pondering maybe making them.
they said they wont make a standard ISIS design because the design constraints inherintly make it so they cant make a product to match their own standards. This was also nicely mentioned on FSA's site in an article discussing the new outboard systems vs. old stuff and such.