Quantcast

Hadley vs Saint / Hayes vs XTR Which is better

chaostactics

Chimp
Mar 22, 2009
I just acquired a santa cruz free VP and have a Iron horse pro and I can't afford to keep both. I have on the santa cruz hadley hubs (the rear says Hadley SDH 6 bolt disc) the front says nothing but I assume they're matching. So I have a set of saint hubs (center lock disc specific) So which set should I go with?

Secondly the santa cruz has hayes discs and disc brakes (i can't find a model number post mount front and back ) the paint is starting to bubble off of the lever bodies but they seem to stop pretty well. From the Iron horse I have a set of XTR brakes (M975 IS mount) So the question is which disc brake set should I use on the santa cruz?

Thank you for your help

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I would rather own a hadley hub, although I have heard saint are more reliable sometimes. Hadley's and saints are about the same weight, I think hadley's are actually a few grams lighter. Hadley's have 72 point engagement which is probably more than the saints. I am talking about newer saint hubs by the way.

XTR rapes hayes... The end.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Oh, haha, I meant XT, not XTR. XTR's are probably too weak for downhill applications... Maybe 4x they would be ok for? Ya, keep the hayes, do yourself a favor and try to buy saints in the future.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
XT=old Saint, so those are the way to go. Far better than Hayes anyway (except maybe for the new Stroker Aces, but I don't think that is what you are running.)

Hadley>Saint for the hubs. Quicker engagement, no loose ball setup, better mud protection, +++customer service if anything does go wrong.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Hadley>Saint for the hubs. Quicker engagement, no loose ball setup, better mud protection, +++customer service if anything does go wrong.
This only seems to be true for some people. My findings were the opposite. My Hadley siezed in 1 month due to a bearing. Instead of going good for the one bearing, they wouldn't even sell me the bearing, they had me buy an entire rebuild kit. I worked in a shop at the time and my bike spent evey Monday in a stand after races. 4 weekends is hardly long enough for 'neglect' to kick in, especially when every other high end hub manufacturer I've seen can get it right. (really.) Had they gone good for one (clearly defective) bearing, no sweat off my back. Forcing the customer to buy an entire kit instead of selling them one part?...I've had better luck dealing with Shimano for warranty and customer service.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
This only seems to be true for some people. My findings were the opposite. My Hadley siezed in 1 month due to a bearing. Instead of going good for the one bearing, they wouldn't even sell me the bearing, they had me buy an entire rebuild kit. I worked in a shop at the time and my bike spent evey Monday in a stand after races. 4 weekends is hardly long enough for 'neglect' to kick in, especially when every other high end hub manufacturer I've seen can get it right. (really.) Had they gone good for one (clearly defective) bearing, no sweat off my back. Forcing the customer to buy an entire kit instead of selling them one part?...I've had better luck dealing with Shimano for warranty and customer service.
With your attitude, I'm surprised the folks at Hadley even helped you a bit.

I guess it makes you feel smart and superior to slag a company whose hubs have repeatedly proven themselves durable, easy to maintain, and well-designed.

Nope, couldn't possibly have been YOU and the way YOU worked on that Hadley hub. Impossible. Right?

PS: I really like the lies you shared, like they "made you buy" a whole kit even though YOU diagnosed the problem. Clearly, they should hire you as a hub designer and/or machinist for Hadley, since you're so smart and all.

==============

Why does RideMonkey allow these morons who know nothing about bikes to post such crap? RM is barely better than MTBR these days.

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003

I guess it makes you feel smart and superior to slag a company whose hubs have repeatedly proven themselves durable, easy to maintain, and well-designed.

Nope, couldn't possibly have been YOU and the way YOU worked on that Hadley hub. Impossible. Right?

PS: I really like the lies you shared, like they "made you buy" a whole kit even though YOU diagnosed the problem. Clearly, they should hire you as a hub designer and/or machinist for Hadley, since you're so smart and all.

==============

Why does RideMonkey allow these morons who know nothing about bikes to post such crap? RM is barely better than MTBR these days.
Really?

You were there when I made the phone call to Hadley and know how I spoke with them?

Not that I need to justify myself to you in any way, but I deal with customer service reps from every end of the cycling spectrum on a regular basis at work. I've never had to resort to the tatics you're implying, because I provide the information needed on their end in a relaxed and polite manner. (I work in the service industry, afterall.) I don't take defective products personal, it happens. Hadley was one of the few phone calls I've made over the years where I wasn't offered a replacement part at the end of the phonecall. Opening up a hub and checking bearings until you find a siezed one isn't rocket science. If you think it is, then I understand the simplicity that compells you to defend your beloved company x in a caveman-like post of ironic name calling. Unfortunately, my experience with the customer service at Hadley wasn't outstanding, and people have the right to know that. A product used in the designed application that recieves due care should not have problems in 30 days. If it does, it should be recognized and resolved.

Last edited:

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007

==============

Over reaction much.......

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I don't have experience with those hubs but I do with the brakes. If they're Hayes 9s they're not for gravity riding at all. If they're Mags they might be worth keeping. I have a set of Mags on my 6" bike and they're great, they used to be on my DH bike but I eventually got Stroker Aces.

I agree with the folks on the XTs, I've ridden a set on a friend's Demo 8 and they're pretty good brakes for dual piston, if you're not too heavy they'll work for DH. I don't have any time on XTRs though.

You might want to look at the Hayes website to see what you have http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/product_hyd_hfxmagxc.shtml If they don't say anything they're probably Mags.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not my experience at all. I and lots of other riders have been able to get individual service parts from them with no hassles. Not sure what happened there. Their service has been some of the absolute best I've encountered in the industry. They go above and beyond almost every time.