Quantcast

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
What, both of them? :twitch:

I do not totally disagree with this. However I do not think anyone in Haiti was or is burning flags and protesting the US. :think:
I agree, my point was more towards those countries that hate us, whether we have helped them or not. Do they not see us sending aid all over the globe?
If you are asking this you obviously don't know anything about the country of Haiti.

People saying the Haitians are the same thing as their corrupt leaders have obvious never met someone from Haiti.

Their government and country has been broken for a long time and this earthquake has completely destroyed their entire society which was third world to begin with.

The people in this thread whining about US troubles in the recession in the context of the condition of Haiti make themselves look like jackasses.
So what your saying is that you don't have any rebuttle so you resort to name calling? well done.

I've met a haiti, he was a nice kid. Was while I was on my honeymoon at the bahamas.

Replace haiti with any other country, whether they could or couldnt help us out in a time when natural disaster has struck, why don't you tell me who dropped everything to do so like Americans have so many times? Then why don't you tell me why we are so hated though we often help everyone else, and then why don't you explain to me why we "should" ehlp anyone else?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Replace haiti with any other country, whether they could or couldnt help us out in a time when natural disaster has struck, why don't you tell me who dropped everything to do so like Americans have so many times? Then why don't you tell me why we are so hated though we often help everyone else, and then why don't you explain to me why we "should" ehlp anyone else?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Americans didn't "drop everything", we barely raised an eyebrow... The US GDP for 2008 was 14 TRILLION DOLLARS. Donations for Tsunami victims came out to 2 billion dollars from private American donations. So we gave 0.014% of our GDP to Tsunami victims. If Haiti had given us the same percentage of their GDP, it would've totaled $850,000, or enough money to rebuild 4 homes. This when they don't even have money to build homes for their own people...

If you figure it on wealth instead of GDP, the number is even more pathetic (American wealth hit a high of 80 trillion dollars in 2008).

We're actually 2nd to last on the top 20 countries in terms of giving...
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2676

You have no idea the abject poverty that exists in places like these. They live in concrete shacks because that's all they can afford. They can't afford anything else since their island has few natural resources and their government isn't politically stable. But go ahead, pretend that you live in the greatest philanthropic country on Earth, and wonder why the Haitians don't donate to the poor Americans when we have natural disasters here...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Then why don't you tell me why we are so hated though we often help everyone else, and then why don't you explain to me why we "should" ehlp anyone else?

because we use M-16's as finger pointers

and

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I lived in New Orleans for many years. I felt horrendous when Katrina hit the city, and I did whatever I could to help.

But when tsunami hit Indonesia in '04, I didn't make much of an effort to help.

Was I a horrible person? Naah. It is just that I knew a lot of people that were displaced from New Orleans.

What's your problem, who knows?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The people of Haiti don't give a fukk about me, my wife or any of you.
Yeah, there is some Haitian child that I hold a grudge against for being so fvcking poor and homeless that he can't stop a moment and think about ME. The nerve.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is the real deal.

Don't want to donate money to Haiti? Then don't.

But if you are going to complain, make excuses, whine, then you have some guilt issue.

I'm not going to try to explain your logic to you, but there are lots of causes I don't donate too, but I don't say how horrible they are.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
There must be some word or phrase for the feeling of bewilderment you get when someone says something so monumentally moronic that you can't even formulate a reply. The "Palin Effect" maybe?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
kickstand:
It really clears up this whole entitlement bullshlt that americans feel when they start exposing how little they actually know about other areas of the world.

"Nobody in zimbabwe helped us on 9-11"

What do you want from them? A can of grubs they're eating for dinner?
as Dante said, it's the thought that counts. A birthday card and a couple sticks to rub together to make a fire would have been better then what they did send :p

and

:D Can you blame us? I mean if you have a $5000 bike at the local downhill race and everyone hates you for it should you take your huffy next time instead? :rofl:

do you realize how stupid that sounds?
How stupid DOES it sound? :p

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
as Dante said, it's the thought that counts. A birthday card and a couple sticks to rub together to make a fire would have been better then what they did send :p
:D Can you blame us? I mean if you have a $5000 bike at the local downhill race and everyone hates you for it should you take your huffy next time instead? :rofl:

How stupid DOES it sound? :p

I'll try to improve my English, that way I can keep enjoying reading your posts, can't find anything remotely similar in my native language :thumb:

Back to the topic, are you saying that you sent birthday card and some sticks to the people of 9/11? :shocked:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The people of Haiti don't give a fukk about me, my wife or any of you. I'm sure when the twin towers fell they didn't give a $hit, when people on the Gulf Coast lost everything the people of haiti didn't give a crap, when people were fukkin crushed to death in the San fran earthquake the people of Haiti didn't give a fukk. Why should I care about them? I don't care, sucks to be born in Haiti.

I think fortundu is a fag but I agree with him for the most part. I have my own problems. I have a mortage, student loans, insurance, utility bills, taxes and I have to eat. Guess what? I make $200 a freaking week!?!?! The economy has gone to $hit here and I'm broke because of it! I can't get a new job because there are none!

The people of Haiti can suck on my poor nuts! I'm gonna help my own people before I help those azzholes.

Don't pull the poverty ticket either. Maybe they should fukkin use thier little brains and change something. The USA and all other wealthy nations didn't magically appear one day.

Blah blah blah I could hate all day on this BS of poverty and lack of opportunity.
:confused:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm going over my head or not.

If that's the way you feel then I'm sorry that you've had the opportunity to live a decent life because of other people's hard work. Maybe your, "mortage, student loans, insurance, utility bills, taxes and I have to eat. Guess what? I make $200 a freaking week!?!?! " wouldn't be such a problem if you used your little brain and changed something. Lord knows you have a hell of alot more opportunity and tools at your disposal than others.

Personally, if people don't care about Haiti, I'm fine with it, but this seems a little like the pot calling the kettle black.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Lets say you give a crack addict $1000; he may shower, get some food, shave, and clean up his act a bit, but the other $950 goes towards crack and within no time he's right back to his original state. Catch my drift mang.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Lets say you give a crack addict $1000; he may shower, get some food, shave, and clean up his act a bit, but the other $950 goes towards crack and within no time he's right back to his original state. Catch my drift mang.
You do realize that Haiti is a place that is so poor people were eating dirt (literally, not figuratively) BEFORE the earthquake?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080130-AP-haiti-eatin.html

You're lucky Jesus doesn't exist, because I'm praying to him fervently that you get a virulent form of anal cancer, and the only treatment is Haitian dirt pies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You do realize that Haiti is a place that is so poor people were eating dirt (literally, not figuratively) BEFORE the earthquake?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/01/080130-AP-haiti-eatin.html

You're lucky Jesus doesn't exist, because I'm praying to him fervently that you get a virulent form of anal cancer, and the only treatment is Haitian dirt pies.
his point is that giving them money/aid/etc is only a band-aid. Teaching them how to build properly, plan for disasters, etc, that's what is going to actually help them in the long run.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Can you blame us? I mean if you have a $5000 bike at the local downhill race and everyone hates you for it should you take your huffy next time instead?

yes you could blame us for it. You think I feel good about how f*cking arrogant our country seems to the world? It doesn't feel good that the arrogants gets you the Hummer and a downhill bike ( I dont own either ) and I also dont feel pissed off or mad when we help really f*cking poor people out.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
his point is that giving them money/aid/etc is only a band-aid. Teaching them how to build properly, plan for disasters, etc, that's what is going to actually help them in the long run.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime"
wait, isn't that what we are trying to do in Iraq/Afghanistan? How's that working for us?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
yes you could blame us for it. You think I feel good about how f*cking arrogant our country seems to the world? It doesn't feel good that the arrogants gets you the Hummer and a downhill bike ( I dont own either ) and I also dont feel pissed off or mad when we help really f*cking poor people out.
I'm not pissed or mad either.

So we're arrogant because we have built up strong enough armed forces to defend ourselves and we use them, We also help every third world nation in the world out...your cake, you are having it and eating it too....which way would you prefer it? no matter what we do we'll be hated.

Signed

"a dude with a cheap bike and a crappy car"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My opinion about poor countries is that the people in power control the finances and the military. So like 1% live great lives, 9% is middle class, and the rest are dirt poor.

You might say, well, tough luck is it my problem?

Well, use the example of Cuba. The mob was using it as their offshore resort, American big business was moving in there, and the Cuban government wasn't taking care of the people. Enter Fidel Castro.

At worse, Cuba almost became the launching pad for nuclear missiles, and generally has been a thorn in our side.

BTW, you make a very similar argument about Mexico.

Just read a little bit and you will figure this out.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

The US has actively ****ed over the Haitian economy. We are a big part of the reason that Haiti is dirt poor. Going off past history, if we taught the Haitians how to fish, we'd slap a huge tariff on their fish exports and flood their domestic market with mercury poisoned farmed Tilapia from Iowa.

So I'd call that point selfish and stupid, myself.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The US has actively ****ed over the Haitian economy. We are a big part of the reason that Haiti is dirt poor. Going off past history, if we taught the Haitians how to fish, we'd slap a huge tariff on their fish exports and flood their domestic market with mercury poisoned farmed Tilapia from Iowa.

So I'd call that point selfish and stupid, myself.
I was just trying to clarify what fortenndu said. Nowhere did I indicate whether or not I agreed with it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

If that was his point, that's what he should have said....

All I know is that I wanted to start a discussion/argument with regard to my personal viewpoints towards a highly recognized natural disaster/humanitarian crisis/societal problems etc.... I'd make damn sure that it followed some sort of logic and didn't use anecdotal situations that mean next to nothing in the purported subject. Less, I wanted people to view me as either a stupid person or mouthbreather.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
His point was very transparent. However I disagree. I don't think that you can compare addiction with natural disaster. The way you guys put it... sounds as you would only help if disaster would strike some higly developed civilized area.

Disaster reduction activities are preferable than relief aid but when disaster strike it's to late for prevention. Besides the humanitarian aid in such cases is only temporary measure.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
His point was very transparent. However I disagree. I don't think that you can compare addiction with natural disaster. The way you guys put it... sounds as you would only help if disaster would strike some higly developed civilized area.
The point he was trying to make was in regards to the solution/reaction, not so much the problem/event that caused it.