Quantcast

halibut on the grill

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
some of the best tasting fish i've ever eaten.

take 1# of halibut, cut into two pieces

with 2' of aluminum foil, fold half-wise, and put the filet skin-side down, longest piece of the fish to the shortest side of foil. salt and pepper, and drizzle some olive oil. join the two end halves, fold and crimp. fold the ends, and crimp, making a pouch.

heat the grill to med on one side, high on the other.

in a bowl, add the following:

ripe mango, cubed
1/4 tbps of thyme, chopped
1 scallion, green ends, sliced
half a shallot
juice of one lemon
half a jalapeno, seeded, cored, and minced
2 tbps of walnut oil

mix well, and refrigerate

put the foil pouches on the hot grill, and cook for ~18 minutes (it worked for me, your grill may be different).

steam broccoli, and serve along w/ french bread and a nice chardonnay.

i gotta say that this was delicious. about the only thing i would do differently is to use mint instead of thyme, but the thyme did work surprisingly well.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Sounds killer - I do something similar (sans jalapenos, but sounds like a good idea) with dolphin steaks.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The last two times I had Halibut, I got violently ill and no one else who ate it did. I've been afraid to go for the hat trick for a few years now...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Am I missing something or did you not mention what you did with this after you mixed/refrigerated it?

Did you put it over the halibut after it was cooked?
Or was it just to dress up the inside of the refrigerator a bit? :busted:
it was a topping for the fish, kinda like a salsa. i would have taken pictures but i was ravenous.

SS, yr loss if you don't like seafood. go eat some pancakes w/ corn syrup.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
I like most seafood, just not fish for the most part. I've had decent fish before. Just don't generally like it all that much. Not really a loss.

We're having ribeyes tonight. :p
There's nothing in the world better than Angus beef. Maybe bacon.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds really good Narlus. Packets like that work really well in the oven too, they prevent fish from getting dried out. Halibut in particular, which goes from done to dry/overdone very quickly.

I know that doing it directly on the grill would be a huge mess (even with a basket) but do you get any grill/smoky flavor in the fish when you use foil packets?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
why use the grill if you don't add smoke/grill flavor?

has anyone used their dishwasher to cook fish? I guess you wrap your fish real well and place it in the dishwasher. Run it on high heat cycle and it cooks it perfect.....

I only eat fish that is deep fried. it's really just a vehicle for tartar..;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
why use the grill if you don't add smoke/grill flavor?
because cleanup is far easier and the house doesn't smell like cooked fish.

halibut is probably firm enough to grill directly, but i am way overdue for cleaning my grill surface, and it would have stuck like mad and fallen apart.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I use the grill when it's fu**ing hot out so I don't have to heat the house up. But I'm cheap like that. :p
Me too. Plus, when you're outside at the grill and you throw back six beers in an hour, it's just "grilling". For some reason, when I do that inside the house, it's "problem drinking".

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
.....when you're outside at the grill and you throw back six beers in an hour, it's just "grilling". For some reason, when I do that inside the house, it's "problem drinking".
That should be on an apron or something.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
because cleanup is far easier and the house doesn't smell like cooked fish.
when I was a kid we used to spend a day or two canning tuna. THAT makes the entire house smell like fish...
:puking:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
halibut is probably firm enough to grill directly, but i am way overdue for cleaning my grill surface, and it would have stuck like mad and fallen apart.
Skin side down, no flip works fine. When done I usually run the spatula b/t the flesh and skin and lift it off intact.