Quantcast

Halo 6-Drive Hub review

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
(my apologies if you already saw this elsewhere)

In the beginning:

A little more than a month ago I got rear wheel built with the Exciter 6 Drive hub by Halo. It has six double point pawls seated in the hub body with 30 teeth in the freehub body. I didn't get to weigh it because I ordered it in a built wheel, but Halo claims 330g with the alloy cassette body that mine had. Fit and finish was nice with a bronze anno on the cassette body, good looking seal system and Japanese sealed bearings so they immediately went on my Sultan.

The Hub

Pawl system

All was good:

On the trail the engagement felt quick, not I9 quick but not sluggish like some WTB or XT wheels I had ridden previously. They were surprisingly quiet too which was a bonus. My other option was going to be a Hope hub (which I chose for the front due to all the axle options) but the Hope has to be one of the loudest rear hubs I'd ever heard. They were smooth spinning with no play and did not require any adjustment over the last 7 weeks.

Things go bad:

On my ride Sunday I started to notice some slipping like the chain was skipping. I inspected the drive train and found no issue. It happened more on the ride - I started to fear the worst - total hub drive failure (it's happened to me twice with XT hubs). I was able to finish the ride but it kept skipping/slipping intermitantly throughout the ride. I started to disassemble it tonight with out any type of tech info as Halo has none published and google provided nothing. The end caps came off with 5mm hex wrenches which exposed the 10mm hex flats inside the axle. I inserted 2 wrenches and tried to turn it - nothing. So I tried a bit harder. Crack, the wrench broke out of the side of the axle! ok....now what? Lots of banging, pliers and hammers forced the freehub body off the axle reveling the damaged tooth that was the root of my problem.

Now What?:

I need a new axle and a new freehub body so I go back to the Halo site and look up the US distributor. The link leads me to BTI and I start browsing their inventory of spares hub parts. Guess what? No parts for the 6 drive. Call is put in to Red Barn - we'll see.

The silver lining:

The hub seems to be very well sealed. There was not even a spec of dirt inside any of the bearings on in the drive mechanism. The bearings were still smooth and still had grease in them.

That's it for now

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I recently opened up a new Nukeproof 12x150 and it had what looks to be the same drive mechanism. Might be a way to source parts if needed. I don't have my Taiwan books handy but I'd guess these are all coming from Joytech or KingKong, etc.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Update

I received a very promt return email from Halo (Ison distribution) saying that they will ship warranty parts directly to me.

So far I'd consider their customer service great.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Very good to hear they are providing good customer service.

Did you pair these up with Halo rims? If so, how do you like the rims?

I only got the rear halo hub w/ a Hope up front (for the axle config options) laced to Flow rims.

Fingers crossed to have my I9's by tomorrow. :monkeydance:

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
The alxe, cassette carrier/freewheel and associated parts came in last week and I got the hub put back together yesterday.

The folks at ID sent all the parts free of charge and quite quickly. If the rain ever stops here I'll get back out on the trail.

ramjm_2000

Chimp
Dec 27, 2008
Thanks for the review, I was eyeing a set for the future. Keep us posted on the outcome of the repair. Cheers.