Quantcast

Handlebar Broke!

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I saw a guy go down yesterday when hos BlkMrkt bars broke right by the upper bend. Just snap and blam he was down.

Lucky for him he was pulling up and not landing. Mad me really glad I ride steel bars.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Daaaaamn, that pic reminds me of the gouge I had, caused by a bare bar end, an inch away from my package. Think BMX days when your mushroom grips started to protrude. I'm sure you have a cool scar?

wow you walked away from that with no serious injuries?
just got hella dirty and a mean adrenaline rush. went over to the camp, put on a new t-shirt and handlebar and went back out riding...

you can tell that i fell across the bike where there is no bar left and that part still attached to the bike is what got me as i fell. the scar is pretty impressive and quite the conversation piece when it's seen. originally it looked like someone whacked me in the chest with an axe...

Last edited:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
you know vas i was hearing the same but figured it was an old raceface stem i was using temp. crazy.

WCH
that is gnarly sh1t man. looks like you got a nice slice.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
you know vas i was hearing the same but figured it was an old raceface stem i was using temp. crazy.

WCH
that is gnarly sh1t man. looks like you got a nice slice.
yep.
i never usually notice how much they flex, but lately i cant help but notice it ALL THE TIME. not a good feeling.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Aluminum + flexing = snappage.
That's why you see most aluminum parts oversized... if it flexes, it breaks down quickly.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Lets talk about this. I run a 31.8 stem, does anyone do a steel bar that big? Also, I was just going to get a Diety twenty14 (I have been running Diabalous). Any feeling of concern for that?

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Lets talk about this. I run a 31.8 stem, does anyone do a steel bar that big? Also, I was just going to get a Diety twenty14 (I have been running Diabalous). Any feeling of concern for that?
Last night (after the bar snap wreck) I talked with one of the Deity sponsored riders as we surveyed the damage and he said they do make steel bars for the sponsored riders. He said he flat out refused to ride alu bars and they send him the steelies. So maybe you could buy them direct?

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ya know, I've had my Diabalous bars for a while and haven't had any issues. Everyone comments that they are to heavy and DH bars, but at the same time they haven't broken so I guess I don't see the problem with a little extra weight (especially if it keeps my face from getting munched). I broke a set of T1 bars a few years back coming out of a gap to pedal pick down a ledge. Luckily on the particular attempt I had bailed and the bar snapped on impact. 41 thermal only from then on out!

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
same here.. cromo bars with crossbar. breaking your bars can get you seriously injured, even killed if you have bad luck. picture a piece of bars sticking through your chest. alu, no thanks.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Jeez, that is a nasty failure. The sharp edge of the crossbar clamp probably created a stress riser. That's pretty hardcore to finish your day of riding after that...

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
after switching to rigid, i immediately went back to steel. not even questioning the situation. Man Hucker, that's some serious s**t.

deity-

Chimp
Dec 20, 2008
Last night (after the bar snap wreck) I talked with one of the Deity sponsored riders as we surveyed the damage and he said they do make steel bars for the sponsored riders. He said he flat out refused to ride alu bars and they send him the steelies. So maybe you could buy them direct?
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up...I am not sure if you were speaking to an actual deity rider, but we have never made a cr-mo bar and everyone of our riders run the same bars that our customers buy.

If possible, let me know who you spoke to...?

In regards to the rider that snapped the Blk Mrkt Bada Bing handlebars, have him drop Carter at Blk Mrkt an e-mail as I am sure they will get him taken care of asap. The crew at Blk Mrkt are super helpful and easy to deal with!

Have a good holiday you guys!

Regards,

Eric
deity

deity-

Chimp
Dec 20, 2008
Jon,

In regards to the Twenty14 bars...we have never had a broken bar since the company started in 2004. Running a 31.8 bore cr-mo bar can be done, but is way overkill and would weigh a ton (may not matter for some though). A well designed aluminum bar that is built around the correct material for the job and with proper butting dimensions is tough to beat in terms of strength to weight. That is why we use 2014 T6 aluminum as the material for our Twenty14 bars...it is strong, light, but allows the material to bend if needed.

Have a good trip to Rays!

Regards,

Eric
deity

joelalamo45

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up...I am not sure if you were speaking to an actual deity rider, but we have never made a cr-mo bar and everyone of our riders run the same bars that our customers buy.

If possible, let me know who you spoke to...?
It was probably Zach. That dude is always running his mouth off about his custom bars :)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Jon,

In regards to the Twenty14 bars...we have never had a broken bar since the company started in 2004. Running a 31.8 bore cr-mo bar can be done, but is way overkill and would weigh a ton (may not matter for some though). A well designed aluminum bar that is built around the correct material for the job and with proper butting dimensions is tough to beat in terms of strength to weight. That is why we use 2014 T6 aluminum as the material for our Twenty14 bars...it is strong, light, but allows the material to bend if needed.

Have a good trip to Rays!

Regards,

Eric
deity
Eric, looking forward to putting another piece of Diety on my bike!

Dec 7, 2008
ahhh ****.. your boob is like ripped open,someones tank aha,i would suggest nemisis pro's 29 inch long,Steel bars,havent heard a bad thing about them.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
ahhh ****.. your boob is like ripped open,someones tank aha,i would suggest nemisis pro's 29 inch long,Steel bars,havent heard a bad thing about them.

I rode a set of the 3.25 rise uummmm..... Jefferson Weezy Bars or something like that. They are great bars, but pretty damn heavy. I did ride them super hard, and they put up with a ton of abuse until they bent down pretty bad.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Dude your bars are wayyyy too narrow to ever be a concern!

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I rode a set of the 3.25 rise uummmm..... Jefferson Weezy Bars or something like that. They are great bars, but pretty damn heavy. I did ride them super hard, and they put up with a ton of abuse until they bent down pretty bad.
Price
If you send the bars back , I'll gladly replace them I just need to get the bent ones back to see how and why they bent
I personally haven't seen any of our bars bend in the manor you speak of , and we tested the new 3.25 weezy's very extensively for 6-8 months before they were ever released .

A few customers have Emailed me about earlier 2.60's bending , but we never get the bars back when I PM or email later on the replay I got was "oh I took the bars off and noticed they were not bent "

FYI:
ALL our bars have a lifetime warranty against bending .
We also warranty our powder-coat finishes for a full year from the date of purchase .

Merry christmas everyone
Brad

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
It was probably Zach. That dude is always running his mouth off about his custom bars :)
You smokin crack fool? I take it you're joking. You've never heard me mention custom bars once. In fact, i don't think i've ever metioned bars at all on the intrawebs.
Like Eric said, i run the same Deity bars that everyone else runs.