Quantcast

Hard Sell at the Gym

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I rolled into the gym today to check on offerings and pricing. They hook me up with the general manager for the hard sell. Dude did not listen to a damn thing I had to say. Kept calling me partner (as in come over here and check this out partner) :rolleyes: Was very excited to show me the before after photos of the guys who got totally ripped (see part about listening to me). Could not comprehend why I would rather be on a bike than in the gym. Telling me how much more affordable it would be then the Y. Then he gave me the “special comp pass” Oooh, since he likes me he bumped up from 3 to 7 days. Now of course he has special pricing that is only valid until next Friday.

I’m reading the local and the same club has a coupon for a 10 day comp pass. Don’t have any intention of giving this ass-clown any of my cash.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Gym rats trying to make a buck. I am sooo glad I don't play in that scene anymore. (that and in Whistler there are NO good gyms at all, couple of fitness centres but thats it) If you have enough gyms in the area and they are close enough you could always comp each one and probably get close to 3 or 4 months of gym time out of the deal without paying. That would almost carry you till next season :)

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
The big gym guys really don't get it when I say I want to stay lean. They only care about being big, not strong, not propotionate (SP) not healty but BIG.

ME WANT TO BE BIG:rolleyes: I WISH I KNEW HOW TO READ SO I CAN TELL HOW MUCH I BENCHPRESS:rolleyes:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Deyv
The big gym guys really don't get it when I say I want to stay lean. They only care about being big, not strong, not propotionate (SP) not healty but BIG.

ME WANT TO BE BIG:rolleyes: I WISH I KNEW HOW TO READ SO I CAN TELL HOW MUCH I BENCHPRESS:rolleyes:
I have noticed that bulky muscle dudes don't do very well when it comes to endurance competitions. :monkey:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
LOL!

The only gyms I like are climbing gyms. They definately help with my upper body strength (which is nearly non-existent) and the good ones are not about trying to sell you on the gym, you either climb or you don't. You like the place or you don't - simple as that. When I'm climbing regularly, which I haven't done since moving out east, gone is the downhill arm pump.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by spincrazy

LOL!

The only gyms I like are climbing gyms. They definately help with my upper body strength (which is nearly non-existent) and the good ones are not about trying to sell you on the gym, you either climb or you don't. You like the place or you don't - simple as that. When I'm climbing regularly, which I haven't done since moving out east, gone is the downhill arm pump.
Yeah, climbing gyms are great. It's a good upper body training and it's fun!!!! The problem here is that they get so crowded in the winter you have to wait for a route.

BTW climbing girls rocks!

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn

Yeah, climbing gyms are great. It's a good upper body training and it's fun!!!! The problem here is that they get so crowded in the winter you have to wait for a route.

BTW climbing girls rocks!
Definately. My favorites are the no frills type gyms that attract serious climbers who are there for more than just being seen. The problem is, they aren't cheap either. I've yet to do any serious investigation on finding a gym here because of it. (everything in Manhattan is at least twice what it should be).

Climbing girls MOST DEFINATELY ROCK! And, women are great climbers. I once asked a particularly cute one to model for me once. Turns out she was a pro model....never did get her to pose for me as I couldn't arrange hair, makeup and location soon enough before my move out here. You've got me thinking again though and I'm going to have to find a gym.:love:

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Serial Midget

I have noticed that bulky muscle dudes don't do very well when it comes to endurance competitions. :monkey:
In their defence. They don't care. I am in between the two. I love my size but want the endurance to go with my riding. Hell most big bym guys I know love being called a freak due to their size :):)

As for climbing. Too slow...more speed and power please.

TimothyL

Chimp
Jun 23, 2002
Houston,Texas
I am in between.Im pretty solid 200# and do weightlifting.No steroids.Having strength helps with a lot of other sports but is a hinderance with MB.I have a hard time with extreme technical moves but DH is awsome, its the physics- a lot of weight going down...

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by maelstrom

In their defence. They don't care. I am in between the two. I love my size but want the endurance to go with my riding. Hell most big bym guys I know love being called a freak due to their size :):)

As for climbing. Too slow...more speed and power please.
No defense needed, just an observation... on a couple of 10K running events I do each year there are USMC and Army teams out for PR. I just noted that most of them seemed pretty buff but in the end they finished pretty poorly, in the last one I beat the fastest guy by 3 minutes with 44:51!!! I placed 75th out of 660, and the Army guy was something like 180 while most of their team finished 200 or higher. For the most part they were all ripped and well defined but not overly bulky. I just thought they would be faster since they seemed young and in great shape.

In most of the events I run in the participants are bean poles. :)

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Today's the last day to register for his special deal. I'm surprised (and a little hurt ;) that he hasn't called to make the pitch. Also found out that Gold's is opening a gym right across from them. Will be in a warehouse and cheap for the first year while they build the new facility.

I can handle nice equipment, poor lights and concrete floors for cheap.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
I go to my gym for moderate weight training for upper body and for cardio, which has helped a lot over that past year.
Every few months, one of the "trainers" will ask me if I know anyone who would like to join or sign up for a trial membership. I made the mistake once of giving them the names of a couple co-workers, who were looking for a place to work out. The gym membership guy would call them every day, including Sunday mornings, plus pressure them to get the full membership while they were just starting the trial. Pissed them off so much they decided to bail before the end of the trial membership.
I know they work for commission, but they don't have to be a hemorrhoid about it. :angry:

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
I swim and lift as part of water polo, and i find that it doesn't seem to hinder any sort of mtb'ing. I can beat everyone i ride with on uphills (even on my dh bike) and downhills. strength is a definate advantage in dh. swimming fits nicely because it strengthen your shoulders and such for bunnyhops, etc. The increased muscle mass probably kep me from separating my shoulder too :eek:

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder

I know what your saying. I go to the gym for cardio and some weights in the winter. There are guys there who lift 6 days a week and have arms bigger than most peoples legs. Some are proportionate but many gym rats there have no legs.

it's like a bulldozer on top of 2 toothpicks...i think it's just all about wearing that tank top and shoulder pressing 2 tons to see how ripped they can be. Or the guys who sit for 10+min between sets and don't move. way to keep that heart rate up. to each their own but its not about being healthy to many, just BIG !

"all cardio is good for is losing muscle"
:confused: