Quantcast

Have you ever been evacuated?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Not in the "intestinal" sense of the word...

All the shiz going down in Mali these days has got me thinking. We're in another country, about 1,000 miles away, so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, but in between RM browsings my mind has wondered how it would go down if the trend of hostage takings were to start heading westward.

I suppose a few hostage takings aren't enough for an organisation to evacuate their people. That would be reserved for huge uprising-type situations.

I'm sure there's a corporate procedure for such things, but given how other corporate procedures are adhered to around here, I'm thinking I'd best have my own "Plan B" sorted.

So? Any evacuees?

Deranged preppers need not participate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
in your situation, i'd say know where the US embassy is (wait, you're canadian right? so canadian embassy), as well as the embassy of other friendly foreign countries (UK, Switzerland, etc). determine multiple routes there from the places you frequent.

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
Step one: fill empty bottle with petrol.
Step two: stuff petrol soaked rag in top.
Step three: light rag.
Step four: participate in direct democracy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dang man if it were me, i'd leave NOW.

French warplanes pounded Islamist militant targets in Mali Thursday as international efforts to help the African nation's government fight insurgents gained momentum.

For a fourth consecutive day, airstrikes hit in and around Diabaly -- a town in central Mali, about 400 kilometers (250 miles) north of the capital of Bamako -- prompting men, women and children to flee or find cover, witnesses said.

"People are desperate to get out," said Ibrahim Toure, a civilian who left Diabaly on Thursday.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/world/mali-unrest/index.html

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm not THAT close, really...
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Dakar,+Senegal&daddr=Bamako,+Mali&hl=en&gl=ca&panel=1&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=Faox4AAd9cj1_ilxu8Wz9XLBDjEfsl0t2Rd8sQ%3BFRAGwQAdAO6F_ymRCkUnEs1RDjEVYFBS4UA8ng&t=h&z=7

And the embassy is about a 10 minute drive from site. I live quite close to the airport... I think I'll shoot for the airport before anything... Any flight to anywhere else. Provided they have business class seats available, of course...

No no no. People are not evacuated! The place the people are in is evacuated. Jesus...my own brother....
Yeah yeah...too much time surrounded by nurses and their medical jargons...

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
With all the political unrest in the world today, outside of Europe, Australia, NZ, etc and North America, I'm not much of a fan of the idea of international travel.

Call me a sissy, but it just seems like too much **** is going on, at least I know my rights here in the US

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
have a safe at home
keep $1000 in cash in small bills, your passport, 1 credit card and some basic medicines on a small bag. (ibuprofen, amoxicilin and some antihistamines).
know where the embassy is. check their walk-in policy, and who is the contact in case of emergencies.
always keep your car with at least 1/2 the tank full.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Are we talking just you and no one else? Or is this you and a family/spouse? If it's you only, Dakar style motorcycle loaded with guns/ammo/food. If you can't get to the airport, you can go more places than a van full of terroristos.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are we talking just you and no one else? Or is this you and a family/spouse? If it's you only, Dakar style motorcycle loaded with guns/ammo/food. If you can't get to the airport, you can go more places than a van full of terroristos.
Terrorists can have motorcycles too

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You should be emailing MikeD. The rest of us, less Alexis, are useless on this topic.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Pretty simple. Make sure you are registered with the embassy. As mentioned, know routes to friendly embassies (Canadian, US, English, Australian, French etc.) I'd head to the embassy vs the airport, airports are usually the first things that will be shut down and or taken over. Besides, embassy usually means free helicopter ride to a govt plane!

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
First time I had to be evacuated was from Aguas Callientes (Machu Picchu, Peru) after an earth quake and a bunch of mudslides.
A helicopter was involved.

Second time I had to be evacuated was out of a hotel in Santiago de Chile during the big eartquake a couple years ago in the middle of the night. 23rd floor, still half asleep and drunk, I packed my bags and took the elevator down.
As the elavator doors opened I saw half naked people running through the lobby and realized Pisco Sour is one hell of a drink.

My favorite one was on the Galapagos Islands though.
Me and my ex wake up early in the morning, phone call from her dad.
It went something like this...
Read with Spanish accent, my ex gf is from Peru...
"YOU HAVE TO LEAVE GALAPAGOS NOW!! JAPAN HAS BEEN HIT BY AN EARTHQUAKE AND A TSUNAMI IS COMING YOUR WAY!!!111!!"

So we wake up, theyre allready waking up every one in the hotel and organising transportation to a house in the hills.
We had time to buy some food and water in the supermarket across the street so we bought beer, patato chips and a bottle of whiskey.
Turns out our refuge is a villa with a bar/restaurant and a pool.
Luckily nobody got hurt that night, the water level only rose slightly and the only thing we saw the next day was some driftwood in the streets down at the harbor.

3 Bags of potato chips, 3$

Couple six packs and a bottle of whiskey, 50$

Free extra night on the Galapagos Islands waiting for the Tsunami roll in from a swimming pool holding a can of beer.
Priceless :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
You should be emailing MikeD.
He's actually who I was hoping would chime in...

Just throw em a basketball. Get away while a game breaks out.
Probably exactly what MikeD would say...he's an expert.

He should whistle Sweet Georgia Brown to be safe
I've always got that covered anyway...

I prefer to simply avoid ****holes in turmoil.
I'm not in a ****hole in turmoil... I'm just in a ****hole. The ****hole in turmoil is next door. I'm just preparing for the transition...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm not in a ****hole in turmoil... I'm just in a ****hole. The ****hole in turmoil is next door. I'm just preparing for the transition...
It is all relative. I consider the midwest a ****hole and anything near detroit or chicago a ****hole in turmoil.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I was close to being evac material back in 96 on one of my Nepal trips.
Not fun seeing people 10ft away being shot at, stabbed and bludgeoned, the Nepalese army wasn't subtle in it's riot clearing techniques.

Not an evac that one, but I have been on the other side of the coin evacuating civilians back when I was involved in Civil Defense and SAR.