Quantcast

Have you ever run over any animals while ridding?

RaceFace2040

Chimp
Jul 31, 2003
austin tejas
Well it happened to me today, man it was wierd. I was goin around this burm at the local dirt jumps and this squirel just shoots out of the woods and right under my tire. I didnt even have time to react, ll i hear is this terrible squeak. So I stop and go to see if its still alive while im thinking what the hell the odds were of that. The thing was still alive, but definetly on its way out, it was coughing up blood. Everybody in the whole damn park comes over and pittys it as we try to think of a way to put it out of its misery. Why the hell do the things have to be so cute close up:( . So then we decide to smack it with a baord to put it out of its misery and find out that squirels just dont like to die. It finaly dies and some kids burried it between one of the dj's. I just wanted to post this cause it was pretty odd and funny at first until I found out it was still alive. And i had everybody in the park to make me feel bad about it, "yea i was the one that ran it over"

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i killed a dog once, it flew out from some bushes and got stuck in my front wheel, did most of a circle until my fork snapped its neck.

i was so sleepy (on my way to scool) i never saw the dog at all before it was tangled in my spokes (small dog).

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by vitox
i killed a dog once, it flew out from some bushes and got stuck in my front wheel, did most of a circle until my fork snapped its neck.

i was so sleepy (on my way to scool) i never saw the dog at all before it was tangled in my spokes (small dog).
same thing happenend with me but with a squirrel. It took a couple of spins in the spokes and shot out running like he never broke his stride.

We've kept in touch...

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
yeah dude, my bro freakin ran over a beaver while i was in the car...at first we thought it was some wothless armidillo, but when we found out it was a beaver..well, beavers are just freakin cool. cutting down trees, building dams and stuff, big fat cute little creatures. i was pissed

sucker was heavy to...close to 90 lbs. we did the least we could do and dragged him off the road and laid him by his damn...:(

next time you hit that dj, make sure you do some stellar trick in that squirels name...if you dont, your gonna have a haunted jump that your going to f-up on as long as you live.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
ya know that thing where you manual heading up to a curb, then jump up over the curb and continue your manual. well i did one of those on an urban in the city, but when i went from the one manual to the hop to get into the other manual, my rear wheel landed directly on a rat. the thing was smoohed, good thing this happened on my old bike with Mag30s and not my current rig, or else i'd probably have another flatspot in my ex823 :p

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Manual to ratsquash, classy, I like it!

I've had 2 birds go through my wheels in the space of 5 metres, I rode past a big bush and they all flew out... there was a bit of a feathery mess left in my wake.
Not quite the same, but today I was stomping down the motorway on my XC bike, and barely missed a rather large dead duck on the side of the road. Not pleasant.

Edit: Oh, and I can't forget riding over a Goanna (well, we hope it was one, they're big f'n lizards), all I could see was its tail, and when you see a reptiles tail the thickness of a coke can, and long enough to go accross the trail and dissappear into the grass at the side, you sure freak out... thought it was a snake, and that got the adrenaline flowing for the rest of the day!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I took out a mongoose last summer on the DH trails here. Its back was broken but it was still alive.

I rain its head through the chainring to kill it.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Years ago while riding XC, a buddy of mine ran over my dog (Jack Russel) with both tires. Didn't have time to try and bunny hop just rolled right over him.

Anyway, he gave a big yelp, and as soon as the second tire ran over him, he started to try and kill the guy. He went completly ape sh!t! Jumping and growling and biting his legs and his bike.

But he ended up being fine. I took him to te Vet, but he said the dog was okay.

Well..excpet for him trying to kill my buddy upon sight from then on. :D

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Originally posted by Jesus
Years ago while riding XC, a buddy of mine ran over my dog (Jack Russel) with both tires. Didn't have time to try and bunny hop just rolled right over him.

Anyway, he gave a big yelp, and as soon as the second tire ran over him, he started to try and kill the guy. He went completly ape sh!t! Jumping and growling and biting his legs and his bike.

That's why we call him KILLER:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Not on a bicycle, but a cat rapped it's head on the front wheel of my motorcycle once. Killed instantly. Ruined my day.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I just ate **** coming back from practice tonight, swerved to miss a squirrel goin fast and somehow fell. It made me feel real good about myself. Last weekend, I also tagged an iguana, leaving 2.7 maxxis minion imprints on its back.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Originally posted by Jesus

Yep, one of my riding buddies has a little stubby legged JRT, and
one day he was doing some yard work, and was trying to smash a pile of dirt. He brought the shovel over his head and brought it down as hard as he could, and the dog ran right under it.
It was horrible. It hit him right across the back, and I thought I had just watched him kill his dog.
Took the dog to the vet and everything and it nothing wrong with him at all. Those are some sturdy little boogers.;)

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Yup hit a toad this evening. Tryied to play Frogger with my bike and lost. Jumped out and tagged my rear wheel.

mtnbikej

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I ran over a snake lying on a rock in the sun once. I came ripping around a corner and it was just there. No time to react. Lucky it didn't get tangeled or flick up and bite me. That scared the **** out of me.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
hit a deer on an xc training ride... jacked me up pretty good... bent my breezer frame in half :dead:

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by Cave Dweller
I ran over a snake lying on a rock in the sun once. I came ripping around a corner and it was just there. No time to react. Lucky it didn't get tangeled or flick up and bite me. That scared the **** out of me.

that same thing happened to a guy riding right in front of me once, the snake thought it was invisible under the dust and it looked just like a stick until it exploded hissing and sped away, needless to say, buddy almost shat himself right there

we also have a particular brand of tarantulas that get angry when you disturb them and they dont move at all so you have to dodge them, i got scared as hell the first time i saw one of those, big (huge) hairy spider.

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
I actually almost hit a deer once. I think the deer would have won - by a little bit.

Also almost hit a porcupine, but he yielded to me.

I was once out riding with some buddies on a XC ride, my two friends in front and me taking up the rear. anyway we all come speeding out of this turn and a bear runs out of the bushes. My two friends manage to get passed it but I was going too slow and tagged it with my rear wheel. I managed to stay on my bike though, must of just hit his paw or something, then I pedaled off as fast as I could go. yeah,,,so I hit a bear. scared the living **** ou of me. I have never sprinted tht fast before in my life.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Animals I've hit biking.

1 bat (to the helmet, night riding:D )

1 rattler, DOA right over his head. No love lost there

4+ toads on one night ride. They were all over tthe trail, I tried to bunnyhop them when I could:dead:

several squirrel over the years, they love danger and seem to be attracted to spinning wheels:think:

The worst had to be the bird that dove into my front wheel:dead: Blood and feathers everywhere. That bird could not have picked a worse time to fly out of that bush.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Originally posted by RaceFace2040
Well it happened to me today, man it was wierd. I was goin around this burm at the local dirt jumps and this squirel just shoots out of the woods and right under my tire. I didnt even have time to react, ll i hear is this terrible squeak. So I stop and go to see if its still alive while im thinking what the hell the odds were of that. The thing was still alive, but definetly on its way out, it was coughing up blood. Everybody in the whole damn park comes over and pittys it as we try to think of a way to put it out of its misery. Why the hell do the things have to be so cute close up:( . So then we decide to smack it with a baord to put it out of its misery and find out that squirels just dont like to die. It finaly dies and some kids burried it between one of the dj's. I just wanted to post this cause it was pretty odd and funny at first until I found out it was still alive. And i had everybody in the park to make me feel bad about it, "yea i was the one that ran it over"
I had the exact same thing happen to me by Zilker. I just let him fade out, it didn't take long. I just tryied to comfort the poor guy. pulled him off the trail once it was over.

I ran over a snake once too. I'm not sure it I injured it though, cause somehow I leaped both wheels up about a foot. This was not a J-hop, more like a sporadic airborne adjustment. Scared the chite out of me. Went back and he was gone. That will teach em to bask in the sun.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Although I' run over mice, snakes, toads... I've also been runover!

When I lived in NJ I was bombing down a nice slope on a XC ride, took a corner and up pops a F'ing dear! Thing starts to sprint away and decides to jump across the trail - body slamming me into the bushes!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
First off it's a Jack Russel Terrorist, not terrier as if often misconceived. Second, I have run over one good size Rattlesnake (uninjured) Tarantulas, California Newts, and various other little guys. It sucks! I have a friend who had a dear jump over her head! My buddy has had the squirrel in the spokes thing right in front of me, yuk! I also know someone who hit a cat on her road bike and nearly died from the ensuing crash. Makes a good argument for dish wheels...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I hit my dog about 2 months ago. He was putzen around doing dog stuff and he snuck in between a gap in a set of doubles where I couldn't see him. I went off the jump and right as I clear the lip he hops up on top of the tranny and turns around to look at me. The only thing I could do was try and not kill both of us. He just rolled it out. He's big too, 75lbs. Dogs are like kids. Hard to break.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
I hit a little blue tailed lizard. Little dude got mangled up between the tread of my maxxis minion. I had to scrape him out with my finger.:( I have also hit a pretty good sized box turtle. I thought he was a rock and boosted off his back. But instead of launching me like i planned he just squished. I was sad. It was a sweet line.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
now i remember i also ran into a cow once, it was at night, i was touring in the southern region here and we had gotten ferried over a small lake by an old man but the outboard engine wasnt quite up to the task so it took us so long it got dark, we only had a flashlight that lasted for the whole of one minute working so we took shifts in riding out front, in the dark.
all of the sudden first i start getting water in my face from the front wheel and i started to slow down, then suddenly i crash into something with my front wheel and shoulder, turned out to be a very suprised cow, it never moved though, just went along with its business and wasnt even angry

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this thread kicks ass!

along w/ the requisite toads, frogs, and snakes, i've not really hit anything (i tend to try to hop over the snakes, as i like 'em. i used to own a boa as a pet and my dream job in 7th grade was to be a herpetologist).

i did have a chipmunk dart between my wheels once. didn't even see him, but my friend who was bombing the rocky 2-track descent behind me saw the whole thing.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I hit a squirrel on my street bike at about 65 around a corner in high school and almost died. Thank god I rode motocross bikes before I got a street bike or I would have highsided for sure.

dw

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've hit lizards, snakes and frogs. Nothing too spectacular there. I've also hit stationary objects at night, those are some of the more stellar stories but that'll have to wait for another thread.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by stoney98
#1: Pigeon
Riding across campus in a rush, somebody spooked the pigeons in the main plaza, one fle w directly into my front wheel. Featheres and blood everywhere, real nasty like.
So I'm not the only person that's happen to, whatta mess:D

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I seriously took out a skier in a SnowDH race in PA last year. Seperate my shoulder and tore my rotator cuff as well. There are some witnesses to the event floating around ridemonkey.

I dont know whatever happened to that guy.