Quantcast

Have you had a bad day cupcake?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Bet it wasn't as bad as this blokes was. This is a horrifying, personal account from the bushfires in Victoria.
THERE wasn't much warning.

I'm on a good basis with the national park rangers … they are over the fence from me. Ranger Tony Fitzgerald was giving us updates on what was happening, but as we got our last update we could hear the fire coming up the ridge behind us. He went down the hill of the national park on one of the tourist roads and came back up and said the fires were 700 metres away. He said: "You can leave now if you want to. If you want to stay we will help you out if we can.
http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/i-now-understand-the-word-firestorm-20090209-8288.html?page=-1
Can't believe the destruction, makes me nauseous.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We decided to stay in the house.
We went to another house where a man was watering down his house. He had his son with him. He told us to get inside and we felt quite safe. He was outside running round, wetting it all down. Then another 10 minutes went past and he said, "I can't save it — we've got to go."
I've just been curious to know why they decided to stay.

In comparison to Katrina, I bet all of the people had the means to leave and the support of the government when they arrived.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I've just been curious to know why they decided to stay.

In comparison to Katrina, I bet all of the people had the means to leave and the support of the government when they arrived.
when you work you entire life to buy a house and put countless years of sh!t into it, youll understand why.

i would try and do the same too...although watering it down can be somewhat useless....id try my damn hardest to save my house

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
when you work you entire life to buy a house and put countless years of sh!t into it, youll understand why.
hey now: plenty of people in the lower 9th ward spent a lifetime sitting on their collective ass "earning" their homes.

honky.

honky honky.

dead honky.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
hey now: plenty of people in the lower 9th ward spent a lifetime sitting on their collective ass "earning" their homes.
You do know that the welfare queen with Cadillacs was actually a myth, right?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
well its obviously unfortunate for them.

people in threat of loosing their house b/c of fire tend to think they can save it with a garden house...you see all the time in Cali....theres no stopping a Cat 5 hurricane tho

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Obviously there was some huge miscalculations with the Victoria fires, but if you could have left, why didn't you?
honestly, i would have held out until the last possible minute. theres no way at all in controlling huge fires like these...a garden hose and fire truck hose aint gonna do anything at all.

these people are staring losing everything in the face and just want to try and see if they can maybe, just maybe save their possessions. but like you said, their government will be johnny on the spot for them...you know, just like we were with katrina :crazy:

you know those people in the story?

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
honestly, i would have held out until the last possible minute. theres no way at all in controlling huge fires like these...a garden hose and fire truck hose aint gonna do anything at all.

these people are staring losing everything in the face and just want to try and see if they can maybe, just maybe save their possessions. but like you said, their government will be johnny on the spot for them...you know, just like we were with katrina :crazy:
It is probably apples & oranges. Generally the people who stayed and needed rescuing I believe had no options to leave.

In Australia, people were not ordered to evacuate.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
People are not forced to evacuate in that situation in Australia. In fires of this magnitude though there is little to be gained from staying. The "evacuate or stay and defend" policy is one of the things to be looked at in the Royal Commission into the fires.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not to keep the Katrina/Aus comparisons going, but I believe it might a cultural thing.

People in New Orleans are generally incompetent but also don't expect much help either.

I wonder if this part of Australia are rather independent, which is why there were not ordered to evacuate?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Not to keep the Katrina/Aus comparisons going, but I believe it might a cultural thing.

People in New Orleans are generally incompetent but also don't expect much help either.

I wonder if this part of Australia are rather independent, which is why there were not ordered to evacuate?
They cannot and do not order evacuations. As I stated above this policy will come under review in the inquiry.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i don't think running into a wooden house for protection from a wildfire would be my gut instinct...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I've missed the backstory with regards to arson, but that is unimaginable if true.

Are there often natural wildfires in Victoria of this nature (or even like California), and are they ever of this ferocity?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I've missed the backstory with regards to arson, but that is unimaginable if true.

Are there often natural wildfires in Victoria of this nature (or even like California), and are they ever of this ferocity?
These are the worst ones ever but in 1983 there was some bad ones (75 killed). Tends to be worse in Victoria due to the relatively mountainous terrain and the relatively higher population densities. Perhaps exacerbated in this situation by the "treechange" trend, the areas in question being fairly close to Melbourne.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Obviously there was some huge miscalculations with the Victoria fires, but if you could have left, why didn't you?
Partly to answer your question;
Fire authorities have defended their "stay and defend, or go" policy despite angry survivors saying they had little or no warning before the disastrous Victorian bushfires struck.

Since the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires, authorities have told residents to decide on days of high fire danger to go early, or to stay and defend their homes if they are well prepared.

Many of the 147 people killed in the Kinglake region alone died as they tried to escape the approaching fire front.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/cfa-backs-defend-or-go-policy-20090210-83es.html?page=-1

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Awesome, awesome pic.

Crazy about people staying behind to fight for their homes. Most of what I've read on saving your home deals with the preparation in the months/years ahead of time instead of what you're trying to do that day. Basically clearing dead brush, leaves, trees, etc away from your house, and not giving the fire any fuel nearby is pretty much the only advice I've heard that makes a difference. I'm also floored by the people who don't at least evacuate their kids/pets. Hang around and try to save it (and end up making a run for it if necessary) but why do you put your kids/pets into harms way?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Awesome, awesome pic.

Crazy about people staying behind to fight for their homes. Most of what I've read on saving your home deals with the preparation in the months/years ahead of time instead of what you're trying to do that day. Basically clearing dead brush, leaves, trees, etc away from your house, and not giving the fire any fuel nearby is pretty much the only advice I've heard that makes a difference. I'm also floored by the people who don't at least evacuate their kids/pets. Hang around and try to save it (and end up making a run for it if necessary) but why do you put your kids/pets into harms way?
The policy is "go early or stay and defend" and is based on lessons learned from previous bushfires. It seems that in this case, a large number of people were killed trying to flee. When the fire is moving 50 kilometres in 30 minutes there's no outrunning it. Remember those gum trees start to "crown" basically explode, so the fire can be upon you before you know what's happening.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
The policy is "go early or stay and defend" and is based on lessons learned from previous bushfires. It seems that in this case, a large number of people were killed trying to flee. When the fire is moving 50 kilometres in 30 minutes there's no outrunning it.
holy ****, i did not realize those fires were moving that fast.

do you know if they do prescribed burns in australia?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
holy ****, i did not realize those fires were moving that fast.

do you know if they do prescribed burns in australia?
Yes. The view from my side of the continent where we have a much more aggressive proscribed burning program and haven't ever had fires of this magnitude is that in the east they don't do it enough. Again, something the inquiry will look at.

dazz

Chimp
Jan 12, 2007
Down Under
Yes. The view from my side of the continent where we have a much more aggressive proscribed burning program and haven't ever had fires of this magnitude is that in the east they don't do it enough. Again, something the inquiry will look at.
As mentioned a couple of posts earlier, at one stage the fire front was advancing at around 100kph (60mph), just try to imagine that. It was one of, if not the hottest day on record and very, very windy. Couple this with the extremely dry conditions and you have pretty much the worst conditions imaginable, far worse than ever seen before in Victoria. Perfect for a fire storm. Imagine first seeing the smoke 25-50k's away, so you start getting things prepared but already it's too late! 15 to 30mins is not enough time to get out of these locations and you can't outrun a fire front that is travelling at those speeds on mountain roads in smoke so thick you can't see where your're going. Many of those who perished were faced with this horrible situation. There are photo's of burnt out cars where the aluminium parts have melted and run out along the ground from under the vehicle...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Pretty scary stuff.
Not to make light of an awful situation, but That is clearly the result of a shaped thermite charge as there is no way a wood fire could generate sufficient heat to melt aluminum. It just doesn't add up. Who could be behind this?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Not to make light of an awful situation, but That is clearly the result of a shaped thermite charge as there is no way a wood fire could generate sufficient heat to melt aluminum. It just doesn't add up. Who could be behind this?
That's not aluminum it's aluminium. That stuff melts if you look at it wrong.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Crazy about people staying behind to fight for their homes. Most of what I've read on saving your home deals with the preparation in the months/years ahead of time instead of what you're trying to do that day.
This is a good point. Your prior preparation is going to be a very strong factor in determining whether your house survives. However there is some method to the stay and defend concept in that its extremely rare for houses to be lost due to direct flame contact. i.e. fires don't burn right up to the house and set it on fire. In something like 90% of cases where houses are lost in a bushfire the cause of ignition is burning embers blown by the wind in front of the actual flame front of the fire. So if you have prepared around your home properly (have a fuel reduced zone etc) then in most cases it is quite possible for a home owner to remain with the house and use a hose or buckets of water to put out spot fires as they are ignited by burning embers falling on the property. This idea has worked pretty well for lots of homeowners over the last 2 centuries however as has recently been shown in such a tragic matter extreme fire conditions change the rules.

Last edited: