Quantcast

Hayes Nine

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Hayes HFX 9 are not very good. I have them on my Balfa. Any way to improve thier performance by using different aftermarket pads?

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I've not had much luck with aftermarket pads, what exactly is your problem? If you can describe what exactly your issue is, maybe someone can help.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Z,

The problems are consistent with other users, (no stopping power, squealing, etc) I removed the pads (only used 3 times) and they are glazed. I will sand them down on a flat surface to remove the glazing. The pad backing is copper color. I am not sure if it is metallic or sintered metal etc. Basically there's not enough stopping power (Oh, they are 8 in rotors)

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
The gold back are metal sintered pads. You could try the resin compound.

Squealing + no power says contaminated pads without any other information.

Get your new pads, and before you even install them clean everything with isopropyl alcohol. If things are contaminated, then you'll spread it to new pads if you don't clean the rotors first.

The most usual cause of low powered brakes is poor alignment. Make sure your rotor isn't flexing or twisting at all when you squeeze the brake lever. Even a millimeter can throw your power to hell.

The nine isn't an inherently bad brake, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get this working better.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
+1 on what Zebra says. I've had those brakes on a bike before with 6" rotors and they worked just fine for all-mountain type riding (and I'm about 200#). clean and align everything and try it again. Another problem could be an air bubble in the line - if the brakes are well used, the piston seal could have sucked some air and you are now getting a more squishy/less powerful brake stroke.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
Ok,

I suspect there is contamination. i just installed a new fork and the rotor could have gotten contaminated from handling the front wheel. Also, I notice that the glazing occurs on inside and outside tracks of the pad only, like the middle is not making contact. i will make sure i clean and sand them flat and true and report back.

sgt.jag

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
i love my nines, make sure your seals ar good on your pistons, if they leak thy will be contaminating the pads