Quantcast

HDTV and cables

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my tv will arrive thurs, and i want to make sure that 1) i've got the right cables i need and 2) i don't get raped buying these things.

first, the specifics:

TV = panasonic 50PX75U
A/V receiver = marantz SR7200
cable box = not installed yet

right now, i've got my TV input going through my Marantz, so i can switch video as well as audio signals. it doesn't support DVI or HDMI, so i would think that my only option would be to use component cabling. alternatively, i could (i think) use HDMI straight from the box to the TV, but then i would lose my video switching ability (not sure if that's really a big deal or not, though i do like watching sports w/ a different audio output (ie, music).

any thoughts on what i should do?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can switch video from my receiver but Jenn doesn't really like running the TV through the stereo.

Your TV should have sound outputs (a nice plasma like that, I'd expect it to have digital coax or optical outs). Why not just run the video direct into the TV and then the sound out from the TV into your receiver? That's what I do, and it lets me run the sound out of the TV or out of the stereo.

http://www.monoprice.com has good prices on cables.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here are the specs:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vModelDetail?surfModel=TH-50PX75U&catalogId=13401&cachePartner=7000000000000005702&modelNo=TH-50PX75U&itemId=112104&catGroupId=24973&surfCategory=Plasma+TVs&cacheProgram=11002&storeId=15001&displayTab=S

i should have an optical audio slot still available; how would that work? does the cable box have separate outputs for audio, and that would go into my receiver?

just curious why Antimony would rather hear the sound from the crappy TV built-in speakers rather than the stereo speakers?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
i should have an optical audio slot still available; how would that work? does the cable box have separate outputs for audio, and that would go into my receiver?
No, you run everything into the TV (bypass your receiver completely), then run the optical out from your TV into your receiver. There's probably a toggle function on the TV remote to turn the built-in speakers on and off. You just toggle 'em off and use the optical input channel on your receiver.

just curious why Antimony would rather hear the sound from the crappy TV built-in speakers rather than the stereo speakers?
Several reasons, most of them simply involving the ergonomics in operating the stereo vs. the TV. Volume is controlled differently and is slower to operate, and without the visual acknowledgment you get on the TV. Also, frankly, for most of the shows she's watching (i.e. not movies or drama), the compressed dynamic range you get out of the TV is easier to hear at lower volumes and higher quality sound just isn't really adding much.

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Take this with a grain of salt since I don't have a HD television, but I recently read a thread on either AVSforum or Hometheater forum about HDMI vs Component cables. Quite a few people commented that they didn't see any difference in quality between the two when it came to viewing cable/satellite. If you're already set up with component switching, try that first I'd say. It's possible that your cable box may not even have an HDMI port anyways.

I have the same receiver as you (SR7200) which is why I was looking that up in the first place. I like it and didn't want to have to upgrade just for HDMI switching when the time comes if I didn't have to.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Component is an analog signal, and hdmi is a digital signal. The difference very obvious with a good source. Cable/Sattelite HD signals are so compressed, that you won't notice a big difference, if any.

With a pure digital source (HD DVD, Digital video etc) you will notice right away.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I can switch video from my receiver but Jenn doesn't really like running the TV through the stereo.

Your TV should have sound outputs (a nice plasma like that, I'd expect it to have digital coax or optical outs). Why not just run the video direct into the TV and then the sound out from the TV into your receiver? That's what I do, and it lets me run the sound out of the TV or out of the stereo.

http://www.monoprice.com has good prices on cables.
i know BV is down in costa rica, but maybe someone else has some ideas...

video: cable box -> TV (via component vid)
audio: TV -> A/V (via component aud)

but for some bizarre reason, the A/V receiver turns itself off after 10 min or so. this happens repeatedly.

i switched the audio to TV speakers, and left the Marantz on, and it didn't turn off.

any ideas???

also, it seems like there are so many options for inputs and outputs...what are the relative pros and cons for digital optical (aud), coaxial (vid), S-Video, HDMI/DVI, component (aud and vid), etc? it seems like there are a variety of ways to get the same signals transferred, so what is the best method?

and why does my cable box have a USB port?

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
So with the video you're going directly from the cable box to the tv?

Maybe try running the video signal through the receiver as well as the audio, then to the TV. I know on my SR7200 if it doesn't detect a signal after a while (about 10 minutes I bet) it shuts itself down. Like if I am watching a movie and shut off the DVD player but not the receiver. I wonder if it needs the audio and the video signals?

As far as digital audio, the toslink and the digital coax version of digital audio connection are the same quality-wise. Some people like the coax because it may be a more secure connection. I've never had any issues with my toslink conncetions coming loose, though.

Video quality I believe the quality from lowest to highest is RCA (red/white) then S-video, then component (RGB) and I think HDMI and DVI are about equal. They have audio incorporated into the cable, so no need for the extra audio cable with them as well. I may be wrong on some of this stuff, but that's my understanding of it at least.

Most cable boxes have USB ports, but I don't thinkl they are used for anything. For future expansion maybe?

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Since it seems like you guys are covering all the relative bases on this interconnect issue, I'd thought I'd fire off a question or two.

I'm in the middle of wiring my new house for phones/internet/TV. I'm using a structured media panel for everything. All my wire home runs for everything go there. I'm using cat5e and rg6 coaxle wire. I've been running a cat5 and at least one coaxle to each flat screen location. I was going to use Svideo via cat5 wire or good old rg6.

Is this a bad idea??

Should I pull another wire type as well??

I really want it to be good, and I can pull any kind of wire there is.

Any suggestions?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
So with the video you're going directly from the cable box to the tv?

Maybe try running the video signal through the receiver as well as the audio, then to the TV. I know on my SR7200 if it doesn't detect a signal after a while (about 10 minutes I bet) it shuts itself down. Like if I am watching a movie and shut off the DVD player but not the receiver. I wonder if it needs the audio and the video signals?
that's what i suspected, and i used a Tape input last night to test my theory. yep! kinda weird, though.

last night i saw some pretty awesome Nat'l Geographic thing on killer whales attacking a gray whale and her calf.

As far as digital audio, the toslink and the digital coax version of digital audio connection are the same quality-wise. Some people like the coax because it may be a more secure connection. I've never had any issues with my toslink conncetions coming loose, though.

Video quality I believe the quality from lowest to highest is RCA (red/white) then S-video, then component (RGB) and I think HDMI and DVI are about equal. They have audio incorporated into the cable, so no need for the extra audio cable with them as well. I may be wrong on some of this stuff, but that's my understanding of it at least.

Most cable boxes have USB ports, but I don't thinkl they are used for anything. For future expansion maybe?
cool, thanks!

btw, what is 'toslink'? is that the cable used for optical digital?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yup, toslink is the sony name (i think) for optical digital.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Geez, what happened to the days when TV's were simple? My biggest question was "Where are the needle nose pliers?" so that I could change the channel.

Lemme ask you all this... Do you all really watch that much TV or is it all just being a tech junkie? Now, don't get me wrong, I am as much of a tech junkie as you all (well as much as my meager budget will allow), but I just find these HD/plasma/doohickie televisions to be more trouble than they are worth.

And is the picture always as crappy as it is in Best Buy? Seriously! I looked at the TV's there and none of them had a decent picture. Is there something I was missing?

I am going to need a new TV in October and am freaking out. I can't not have a TV but then I don't want to have to deal with all this HDsupertechno crap either.

What's a dumbass like me to do?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Geez, what happened to the days when TV's were simple? My biggest question was "Where are the needle nose pliers?" so that I could change the channel.

Lemme ask you all this... Do you all really watch that much TV or is it all just being a tech junkie? Now, don't get me wrong, I am as much of a tech junkie as you all (well as much as my meager budget will allow), but I just find these HD/plasma/doohickie televisions to be more trouble than they are worth.
Shuddup, HIPPY!! :rolleyes:

I am going to need a new TV in October and am freaking out. I can't not have a TV but then I don't want to have to deal with all this HDsupertechno crap either.

Get an old used TV?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Shuddup, HIPPY!! :rolleyes:

Get an old used TV?
I know, I know! I try to be alll geeky with my computer, but when it comes to my TV I am lost.

Our current TV is 10 years old, and we have the audio (TV/cable/DVD) going through the reciever. Time is coming soon when it's going to need to be replaced. :dead:

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
I know, I know! I try to be alll geeky with my computer, but when it comes to my TV I am lost.

Our current TV is 10 years old, and we have the audio (TV/cable/DVD) going through the reciever. Time is coming soon when it's going to need to be replaced. :dead:
This was my situation about 6 months ago... my replacement ended up being a well priced LCD and I now see why people are so fond of flat screens.

We actually haven't had cable for 4 years and we love the lifestyle (I highly recommend it). We will most likely never go back to it again, everything you've ever loved about television can be found on DVD's without wasting time on commercial viewing.

Now that we've seen the quality of the modern "tube", I would like to make our new house teched-out... I even wired my garage/shop for a nice setup.

Any help on some other alternative wire rough-in suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

And is the picture always as crappy as it is in Best Buy? Seriously! I looked at the TV's there and none of them had a decent picture. Is there something I was missing?

hey ciaran, i don't watch a lot of tv, but damn does HD make for a nice picture...was loving it over the weekend watching NHL, NBA and MLB...plus i saw some nat'l geo special about killer whales attacking grey whales. neato.

our old TV was ~10 years and due for a replacement. HD is definitely the way to go. as far as the picture goes, in-store they tend to crank the brightness/contrast/sharpness....i paid for a calibration service visit, so hopefully i will get the picture adjusted just right, adn it will actually prolong the life of the set.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
btw, if you don't think monitors need calibration, see if you can borrow a spyder calibration tool for yr PC monitor and look for yourself at the difference of 'before' and 'after'

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Cat 6, but have it wired by a pro.

I was a bit interested in this wire when I purchased my cat5. I was told that it is generally used in large commercial applications or dispatch centers.

Does it have more than 8 wires or something, or is it just a larger gauge for better conductivity and faster speed capabilities???

We won't be piping in any cable television signals, but we want the internal media to be as crisp as possible.

What's up the HDMI and DVI cables? Is it possible to purchase this wire by the spool and then rough it in to a structure?

I was planning on using 4 of the 8 wires in cat5 to run Svideo everywhere. I have pulled RG6 for everything as well.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
from what i have read, you really want to keep runs of HDMI to a minimum. not sure if the same holds true for DVI, but my guess is yes.

Cable43

Monkey
Oct 7, 2008
(Philly @ Heart)
(Sure this is an old thread but more people need to pick up on existing conversations IMO)

I was bored the other day so I swapped out my three coax cable running to my projector. I made two HD component to CAT5e adapters. I think it turned out pretty well. Have verizon fios HD running through a Christie LW300 projector, the picture is pretty damn good.

the 4th cable is because there were two extra wires and...well... why not.

Last edited:

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Is the Leviton Structured Media Panel the recommended piece of hardware for terminating a moderately sized network (phone, CAT5, RG6)? I thought the price looked good until I realized that it comes bare and you have to load it up with components. Is there something similar out there that isn't as flexible, but could afford cost savings with a pre-packaged option?