Quantcast

Head Exploding - Gas Prices

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Listening to NPR.
"Low gas prices can be a problem for the US economy, now that so much of the US economy is based on gasoline production..."

SrsWTF

High gas prices were a problem because it made stuff expensive and put money in the pockets of other countries. Now, prices drop and it is a problem because it harms our jobs, not to mention the recent stock market jolt.

So are gas prices an issue or not (he said, rhetorically)?
Liberal media has been extolling the value of Obama bringing gas prices down, and now even liberal media is describing low gas prices as problematic.

I can't even.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I don't understand exactly why low oil prices can hurt the global economy but the fear it has generated is already starting to effect the stock market and thus the cost of precious metals. I don't know anything about the stock market or investments, but I do know that when the economy is tanking or there is the fear that it will, then gold and silver start to go up. Gold has been hovering around $1100-1200 an ounce for the past three years and has started to creep up in the past few days. I hope it doesn't skyrocket again

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't understand exactly why low oil prices can hurt the global economy but the fear it has generated is already starting to effect the stock market and thus the cost of precious metals. I don't know anything about the stock market or investments, but I do know that when the economy is tanking or there is the fear that it will, then gold and silver start to go up. Gold has been hovering around $1100-1200 an ounce for the past three years and has started to creep up in the past few days. I hope it doesn't skyrocket again
Because a significant part of the economy isn't based on anyone making anything, or providing services or doing anything. It is based on fuckers betting on everything. When a bunch of people lose a whole bunch of money because something took a big swing one way or the other, they have to pull their money out of what could be real investments. Industries that rely on that investment money don't get it, so they can't do what they need to do and shit slows down. A system based on bullshit can be fucked for bullshit reasons.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Because a significant part of the economy isn't based on anyone making anything, or providing services or doing anything. It is based on fuckers betting on everything. When a bunch of people lose a whole bunch of money because something took a big swing one way or the other, they have to pull their money out of what could be real investments. Industries that rely on that investment money don't get it, so they can't do what they need to do and shit slows down. A system based on bullshit can be fucked for bullshit reasons.
Guess that rules out magnets then.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Don't listen to Westy, that's all Freedom® hating bullshit. Glenn Beck is buying it all up to protect the Constitution, or something.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup, summer roadtrip is looking a lot more affordable.
And that is up here in soviet Canukistan where locally we be paying about a buck a litre.
No where near as a dramatic drop as yous guys, but we'll take it; whilst bitching that it should be closer to 70 cents or so.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I blame Obama...
He was responsible for high gas prices that ruined the economy. And low gas prices that are ruining the economy. He has a dial in the oval office that sets oil prices.

He also has a button labeled "ruin the military" that he presses arbitrarily.