Quantcast

Headset Binding

K2BikesOwn

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Rockford, IL
Ok, so I had a cane creak c2 headset, and ever since I bought a new marzocchi z1 bomber, the thing was creaking like mad, more annoying though, was how it binded between 180 and 360 degree turning.

Well, since then, I've upgraded to an fsa pig dh pro and there is no more creaking. But I can't stand the binding! it sill does it! I only get smooth movement from like 0 to 90 degrees, and it sux!! Any clues? I have like a 5" front and rear free rider, and i do a lot of urban and drop offs to flat... thanks guys!

R

RideMonkey

Sounds like you cups arent sitting flush in the frame. You might need to face the head tube. Also check that the crown race is pressed on completely. Was the HS installed with a quality press?

K2BikesOwn

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Rockford, IL
That was exactly what I thought! Well, when i took it in today to have the fsa pig installed, I asked the guy if the headtube should be faced-- he said it would be fine-- I also asked the guy how loose the race should be, considering when I took the old race off, it was like barely on there. I dunno. But is there any way to tighten the race on the steerer or what?? Thanks!~

Oh, btw-- is it possilbe for you to move this to Mechanics Q & A? I put it in the wrong one....

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by K2BikesOwn
That was exactly what I thought! Well, when i took it in today to have the fsa pig installed, I asked the guy if the headtube should be faced-- he said it would be fine-- I also asked the guy how loose the race should be, considering when I took the old race off, it was like barely on there. I dunno. But is there any way to tighten the race on the steerer or what?? Thanks!~

Oh, btw-- is it possilbe for you to move this to Mechanics Q & A? I put it in the wrong one....
The race needs to be forced on. If there is alot of play with the new race installed the steerer may be defective.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Did you also grease the crap out of everything inside? The Cups. the bearings, the races. I have had one on my trials bike for a long time (rigid fork) and had no noise. I wasn't sure about if I needed to grease anthing when installing it so went back and read the directions (for once) and found out it says to grease EVERYTHING. Not a peep out of it.

Just a suggestion, grease the crap out of it and see if that cures it. I figure the noise is either from what everone else is saying or that the free standing (or sitting) bearings are just shifting and the grease it to help them settle into the right spot or just eliminate the noise if they shift when turning.

As for the race, getting it to be on tighter. You should NEVER force/pound on races unless you have to after trying the following:

What you should try to do first is stick the steer in the freezer and the race on a hot plate or in boiling water. They should just drop right onto eachother then if made properly. If they don't, then tap it on when the steer is cold and race is hot. Less likely to just sheer off metal from the steer, therefore trashing it. You can slo try hittin' the steer with a shot of freeon before dropping the race on too.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I've found aluminum headset cups creak more often than steel ones. So, with a steel headset (if they're made to exact same dimensions as the aluminum ones) will fit more tightly because it deforms less.

A factoid: The headset race on the Cane Creek and select sealed bearing FSA headsets has a slit in it that allows it to simply slide on and off instead of being pressed on. Grease the bejeezus out of it and I'm sure it'd quiet down. I had one for awhile and it wasn't bad.

FSA PIG will be better, just make sure to use a good thick waterproof grease.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I've a couple of Marzocchi steer tubes that were a poor fit. And the crown race became loose over a few months. I could remove them by hand which is pretty poor. Never an issue with my Rock Shox. A little red or green locktite can fix it if its not too bad. Another fix is too yake a centre punch and dimple the shoulder where the crown race fits, add locktite and reinstall the crown race. The dimples make it tight again. Buts its a cobby fix.