Quantcast

Heart Rate Monitors and Music...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Has anyone else noticed a heart rate monitor go a little funky when they listen to music riding? I usually ride with an iPod in my jersey pocket, and use an earbud in my right ear. I noticed after the last couple of rides that my max heart rate was 221.

Rode without the music today, and my max got up to 190 (which is more normal.) I'm thinking that the iPod is running a little interference with the monitor.

Either that, or I need to see a cardiologist :D

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Well, I thought this at first too. I was doing some TT efforts last year wearing my MP3 player and heart rate and was recording 221. NOT LIKELY

But weeks later it happened in the same area when I wasn't wearing the player.

Are you always riding in the same place when it happens?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heidi said:
Well, I thought this at first too. I was doing some TT efforts last year wearing my MP3 player and heart rate and was recording 221. NOT LIKELY

But weeks later it happened in the same area when I wasn't wearing the player.

Are you always riding in the same place when it happens?
Yesterday I was riding some pretty steep short hills...and I was working very hard.

Two days ago though was just a flat tempo day...I can't think of a point where I would have gotten up that high.

I'm going to be bummed if my max heart rate is 221. My lactate threshold isn't nearly as high as I though it was if that's true :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
if you were around other people you could be picking up their signal too or if the receptor things aren’t positioned correctly it could be reading wrong.

i have found however that when somebody goes by me on a training ride my heart will automatically kick about 5 to 10 beats in anticipation of the sprint to catch up. it will also do that when a pretty girl goes by.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The monitors are probably picking the heartbeats of aliens developing in the chest cavities of Silver and Heidi. Few people know that all aliens have heart rates of 221 bpm.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Westy said:
The monitors are probably picking the heartbeats of aliens developing in the chest cavities of Silver and Heidi. Few people know that all aliens have heart rates of 221 bpm.
Maybe it's a tapeworm in my stomach! :dead:

I've actually raced before without the transmitter, jus the watch on, and recorded a heart rate for portions of the race from other riders around me!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
wireless heart rate monitors will go nuts around high tention telephone wires...I could be riding base and the HR monitor would read 230(140 would've been about right) ....could this be what's triggering it?