Quantcast

Heart rate musings

Topaz

Chimp
Jul 6, 2002
Woodland Hills
It seems odd that the better cardio shape I get in the higher my heart rate is during exercise. One would think that the better shape you're in the lower your heart rate would be.

I remember early last year during a pre-ride at Sea Otter that my heart rate was hitting 190 on the downhill even though I was trying not to go hard that day. This summer when it was hot I rarely got above 180 during a race. Does the cold weather allow you to get in better cardio shape? Does the heat prevent you from getting adequate oxygen?

For those of you that use heart rate monitors during a race how long can you spend near your max before you blow up? My max is around 190.

How fast you reach your max seems to make a big difference as well. If you give an explosive effort then you'll most likely suffer and have to slow down a bit until you recover. But if you happen to be climing a steep hill and your heart rate slowy increases over several minutes then it seems that you can hang near your max for quite a bit longer.

I don't have much experience in this area so I'm wondering how my body is likely to react. I haven't done any interval workouts either so I've got no data to go on.

Originally posted by Topaz
It seems odd that the better cardio shape I get in the higher my heart rate is during exercise. One would think that the better shape you're in the lower your heart rate would be.

When you raise your anerobic threashhold (the point where your muscles can't get enough oxygen to burn and create lactic acid) you will be able to sustain higher heart rates for longer periods of time. (that is why it seems your heart rate is higher - it is, and that's good).

Endo Verendo

Chimp
Mar 8, 2002
Studio City, CA
Originally posted by Topaz

This summer when it was hot I rarely got above 180 during a race. Does the cold weather allow you to get in better cardio shape? Does the heat prevent you from getting adequate oxygen?

For those of you that use heart rate monitors during a race how long can you spend near your max before you blow up? My max is around 190.
Riding in the heat elevates your HR which decreases the effeciency of your workout.

During a race you might want to use your monitor to pace yourself so you're able to hit your max HR only when you need to. The time spent near your max depends on your training, which is why people do intervals, and how you're feeling on race day.