Quantcast

heavy guys, fork fyi's

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
if you weigh alot and cant get heavy enough springs marzocchi makes several of their models with coil & air simultaneously now so you can run heavy springs and 20lbs of air to adjust for you.
pretty much they just put air caps on. they cost about $30

i'll post some info once it's been tested out a bit.

they just received these caps end of last week i was told.

Tom

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I had these installed on a warranty return DJ!. I was told not to go over 10lbs. It did feel really good. It seems like a pretty good fix. It keeps the spring compression the same, just allows you to "charge" the air above the oil.

Another suggestion to help keep a M fork from bottoming is to use 10wt oil.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
i wouldn't use anything other than 7.5W oil, i'm 240 lbs and just use 7.5w oil but about 20mm more than recomended in my jr t's.

if you can't get air caps fitted and the normal springs don't cope with your fat ass, try getting some custom would springs made.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
i've never had to resort to getting springs made, but if you look in the phone book under spring manafacturers there should be companys that will offer to make you custom springs, you'd probably have to give them one of the original springs and ask them to make you some the same size (outer diameter and lenght) but harder, see what they can do for you.

i'm going to have to get custom springs made for monster t's in the next few weeks, i'll tell you how it goes.

the extra oil and heavy springs are enough to stop me bottoming out, but i still use 2" of travel just pedaling, and only get 4" on 6' nose dives to flat, it's really not a good solution but it does the job ok.

**remember theres a higher risk of blowing the oil seals by raising the oil height**

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i put 10 wt maxima at approx 98mm with stiff (red) springs and it feels nice..still seem to have small bumps and supa plush on the big hits. i dont have a zip tie for the ghetto style travel indication but i can see from the dust rings the seal makes that i am getting max travel...fyi my fat arse is 220 (im 5 10)

DanGouge

Chimp
Jun 2, 2002
Canada!
Which Marzies can be upgraded in this fashion? I ask 'cos I'm on the verge of buying a new fork and it will most likely be a Marzie and since I'm huge! (250lbs, 6'7")